• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nigzel’s Guide to AR-Movies (1.7) NOW ALSO INCLUDES A SAFER WAY TO USE THE AS-SCRIPT!

Nigzel

Smash Ace
Nigzel’s Guide to AR-Movies

You say you want to make Action replay movies like Perfect Control, Adventure or Zero Mercy? The road to the final product is far away from being a thought, which becomes the real project. To start that off, you need to have some equipment:

Action Replay (and Debug menu code(s))
KNOWLEDGE!!
Some sort of way to record, Capture card is recommended
Video Editing tools

Getting an AR

With those four, you will be able to make real pro-videos. Lets start with getting an AR, take a look at www.Codejunkies.com and see it there’s any way you can get an AR directly from there. If not, try checking with your local Videogamestore and see if they can order one for you. However, if that still doesn’t give any results, checks sites as pricerunner.com and see if you can get one from one of their links. [Worst-case-scenario: Used from E-bay.]

Knowledge

OK, to start getting knowledge, you need info that already exists to learn by yourself. The best way to start then is…. SDM’s FRAME LISTS! To really learn you have to be almost obsessed by frame data. I recommend you to Download all frame lists and print them out. Or at least your favorite and second favorite’s frame list. You can get the lists here or via the dc++ hub.

Good general tips when playing around with debug:

Y + dpad down = display animation name and frame number for all characters
R + dpad right = toggle collision bubbles and hitboxes for this character
R + dpad up = toggle ALL collision bubbles and hitboxes (including stage hazards and destructible environs)

Might add more later on…

KNOWLEDGE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF AR-SMASH!

Recording

With that behind us, we almost can start recording our very own videos… nah, not really. Make sure there is a way you can record; DVD, VHS (VCR), Digital camera (connect to the cube somehow!), or straight via a capture card. For DVD, record and insert the DVD disc to the computer later for ripping. VHS (VCR), tape it for capture card transferring later on. Digital Camera…um yeah, Omnigamer had a way to do it somehow, he used it during the recording of Perfect Control. Via capture card, using software like VirtualDub. That is how it is RECORDED.

Editing

Now, here we are. A few steps before the final result. The editing is a simple, straightforward, part of the project. It just takes alot of time. Once you get it down it’s a piece of cake. You better use VirtualDub, (or a mod of it, no big difference) it’s the best program for simple video editing of all kinds out there. And it’s free too. Get it here. How to edit?

Editing with VirtualDub

This is the booooooring part of AR-Smash. I mean it, this really is boring. You have to ’save’ one of every frame, (that means that you press delete until a new frame shows up,) then you press right on the keys below Delete, End, Page down, etc. then keep on deleting until a new frame shows up. Then keep on deleting, ’saving’, deleting and so on.

After that you MIGHT have to change the framerate. If so, change it to 60 frames per second for a smooth video.

After that, save it. With compression or not. If you’re about to send it over the internet, compress.

MULTIDECIMATE EDIT, A MUST READ!!!

AVISynth – MultiDecimate

Finally, eh? I got my *** into it again. And now I cracked how to use it for smash the simplest way, and the fastest. I wrote this piece as simple as possible, the original instructions are cryptic!

The AS-script will “delete N out of every M frames”. Get it? Most probably no. It will delete every duplicate of each frame, leaving one frame of each to the file. Now, as always, there IS a catch. The script is based on noise (“quality”) of the movie, which means if you have low-quality footage the same settings will not apply for this guide. Find your own. =)

The AS-script only support YUY2 video too, so far. But that’s easy to adjust.

First off, get AVISynth and the plugin MultiDeciamate. Install AVISynth and put the Multidecimate.dll file in the plugins folder. Now let’s take a look at the script itself.

Included with the MultiDecimate package is “The Cook.avs”, which is the script! When you unpack MD the script looks like this:

loadplugin("d:\avisynthplugins\mpeg2dec3.dll")
loadplugin("..\..\decomb\release\decomb.dll")
loadplugin("..\release\multidecimate.dll")
mpeg2source("The Cook.d2v")
ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
Telecide()
MultiDecimate(pass=2,quality=3)

HOWEVER, if you directly using a capture card and use Avi-files, the script can be shrunk to two lines. Although I’m using four:

loadplugin("C:\Program\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\multidecimate.dll")
AVISource("C:\capture.avi")
MultiDecimate(pass=2,quality=3)

Now, look at these two; Top plugin lines, gone. Telecide, gone. Mpeg2source, changed to avi. ConvertToYUY2, kept just in case.

AVISource refers to the clip(s) used for this script.
The loadplugin is kept because... I want to keep it? <_<’
ConvertToYUY2 (YUY2 is a colortype) is also kept.
MultiDecimate, this is CRUCIAL. This and what file you want to decimate! :p

Now you know how the script looks like! But now before we can do anything, the clip has to be YUY2, the easiest way to set this is to record directly to it, or to use the line ConvertToYUY2. But then, make sure the clip is uncompressed, that way it will be simpler for all of us.

Next?
MultiDecimate(pass=2,quality=3) should be changed to MultiDecimate(pass=1,quality=3).

Why?
So it can run pass one, *******! In pass one the AS script will generate a file named mfile.txt in the same folder as your script running is in.

How do I run the script?
Open the script in Vdub, or simply drag and drop it to Vdub. Then let click “Preview input” or just click space. DO NOT **** around with the timeline! Open the script, run the script, close VDub.

Now what?
Open MultiDecimate.exe and select where the mfile.txt is, make sure that the decimation mode is set to Global: Naive, which IS the best for Melee! And, the sometimes tricky part, the threshold. If you recorded directly to YUY2, let it be 1.0 and try. If you recorded to another format, convert to YUY2. If you recorded with another format and compressed it to the equivalent of less than 2000kbps of the XVID codec the video MIGHT be too noisy – Lower the threshold and make sure it’s YUY2.
Now press “Create”
This step will create dfile.txt and cfile.txt, DON’T screw these up.

Now, open “The Cook.avs”, or if you’ve renamed it, open your script. Change MultiDeciamte(pass=1,quality=3) to MultiDeciamte(NIGZEL OWNS YOU).

<.<’ I wish.

Change it to MultiDeciamte(pass=2,quality=3). And open with VDub again, see? Decimated. Now, change the framerate to sixty, compress (I suggest XVID) and save, it’s just a precopy! Now go back to Vdub and check the script once for duplicates that may have been left over. Such as the MINIMAL gap between the sync of the string and what really on screen (strings react a REALLY small time later). If the script removed too many frames, removing maybe 2/3 of the kneebend animation for example, go back to the step where to create c- and dfile.txt and lower the threshold. Then open the script again and check.

I’ve known about this AVISynth script for almost a whole year, or more precisely; I’ve known how to use it for that long. Don’t you go blaming me at once now, ok? I forgot it and never wrote a guide for it, and I didn’t put memo’s on it either. Was just recently I looked into it again!

My frames keep getting ****ed up… <.<’
Ok, I got a new idea how to make it easier for Vdub to know what frames to remove: Cropping. You cut away the pieces you don’t want and that’s it. You may wonder what the **** I’m talking about, but hear this out: 99.999% of the time using AR you will use the debugstrings and/or a normal counter. Now, what happens is, you crop the video down to the size of only the strings/counter is left there. You run the script, edit the sourcefile’s name and there we go.

What?
Ok. Here we have a “full” frame:

And here’s a cropped one:

Both are really the same screen (I resized the first image). This means if you create an avs-script like this…

AVISource("C:\capture-cropped.avi")
MultiDecimate(pass=1,quality=3)

It can be changed to…

AVISource("C:\capture.avi")
MultiDecimate(pass=1,quality=3)

Afterwards and the decimate settings will not change! (Don’t forget to change pass to 2) So why would we do all this? Foremost, because I tell you to. Secondly, your computer will have less fotage to focus on, that way it will parse this script faster. And if you use the counter only, the output will be 100% perfect (assuming no left frames when recording etc.)

How to crop with Vdub: Video –> Filters -> Add –> Select “Null transform” and press the “Cropping”-box.

Once here, you can move the offsets to remove what’s unnessecary. Then press ok, save with high quality and now run the script.

Once again, open real video file, crop it. Save a cropped version, put the cropped version’s name in the script. Run the script. Change the cropped version’s name to the uncropped version’s name and change pass to 2 and run again after creating mfile.txt All home, continue as normal. However, this assumes that there is NO removed frames in any of those two versions, that is; You open, crop, save, run script, edit script, create mfile.txt, run again. Inbetween, DO NOT TOUCH THE VIDEOFILES, I’LL SLICE YOUR THROAT!

Ok, maybe not. Just don’t touch it…

THANKS GO TO MR. DONALD GRAFT FOR THIS SCRIPT; 40 000+ PERSONS OWE YOU!

Now, it’s time for compiling the video and adding effects, transitions etc. My suggestion is Ulead video studio. The version doesn’t really matter; SuperDoodleMan uses 6, I’m using 9.Yet there is no bigger difference between our Intros/Outros. You can also use windows movie maker, but as it limites encoding-FourCC, gives a ”nooby-speed” of intro’s and outros (even alot of bad intro and outros) and it doesn’t give you full control I would NOT recommend it!

Remember! Style before too much flashy effects. Make it simple, yet ”nice”.

When it comes to selecting songs and such, I SUGGEST techno/trance/call it what you want. It gives AR projects that groovy feeling. But DO NOT let that stop you, feel free to use any song you want.

As for finding songs: Overclocked Remix
Dance Dance Revolution
Stepmania
Etc.

That’s my tips. Let call this… 1.7 It includes the essentials in a brief way.

Is there a list anywhere that tells you which moves freeze the game for each character set up for the move swap code?
nvm, found one, i was askin you cause youre knowledgeable of the AR.
nice guide. :)

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
it’s the best program for simple video editing of all kinds out there. And it’s free too. Get it here.
Isn't there supposed to be a link in there?

Also, I HIGHLY recommend using VirtualDub, it really is the easiest way to convert frame videos to real time.

The debug guide on GameFaqs lists all the commands, but omits a few important things:

Y + dpad down = display animation name and frame number for all characters
R + dpad right = toggle collision bubbles and hitboxes for this character
R + dpad up = toggle ALL collision bubbles and hitboxes (including stage hazards and destructible environs)

Looking good for a 1.0!

Nigzel

Smash Ace
Thank you, SDM. I KNEW I had forgotten something.

I'll add those commands to the next version.

Vegard

Smash Lord
But how do you actually get your character to attack? =S

I managed to freeze it and go frame by frame, but dunno what to do after that.

Cort

Apple Head
Very very, useful guide. I would extremely appreciate elaborating on how exactly to edit using virtual dub, more step by step stuff. Also how to navigate the menus to get what you need done (like how to compress and which codecs to use/where to get them)

Once again, I appreciate this thread a lot =]

Nigzel

Smash Ace
Bumpily bump!

Updated, heavily!

The MultiDecimate script is under "Mine" at Neuron2.net if you can't find it. ^^

usea

Smash Ace
Rather than using a VCR and recording the whole thing, then manually extracting the frames you want using virtualdub, I used a far simpler method.

Use your capture card to view the video in realtime, personally I use DScaler (I use it all the time to play on my monitor anyway). Now on each frame, just hit the button (L by default in DScaler) to take an uncompressed still image and save it to disk. This will produce FARRR higher quality results than recording the whole thing on VHS and editing it out manually, and it takes far less time and is simpler. Then use whatever method you want to combine the still images into moving video. I'm sure the post goes over how to do it in detail.

1) Plug your gamecube video into your capture card. Start the game with AR etc and get to the debug mode to do whatever you want
2) Use DScaler to view the video on your computer.
3) On each frame, before advancing to the next frame, use DScaler to capture a copy of the still frame.
4) Combine the still frames into video using whatever method you like. The first post outlines a good method.
5) Optional: Record sound effects from the in-game sound test and edit them together in an audio editor to accompany your video. I did this for my incredibly lame Goldeen April fool's joke a few years ago. The audio was all recorded from sound test and added in manually. The frames were recorded individually as well.

Nigzel

Smash Ace
Usea, what's the use of it? Especially now that I've explained the AVScript. Audio is still just one step too far away, that's a reason why I haven't included it, at all, yet. although I had successful results using it.

MANY other capturecards and programs has the function to record just one frame, but what happens if you **** up? Such as during a fight; Adventure? That way you have to throw the frames and start again!

DOn't get me wrong, I don't have anything against you, nor your post! :)

Cort

Apple Head
Beautiful update, I will definitly start making more videos now.

usea, the point is that his new method takes virtually no time compared to the old way of just keeping 1 frame manually and getting rid of all the in between frames. A 5 second clip used to take me about 25 minutes to edit, now it only takes me 5 minutes.

Once again, thanks again Nigzel. Many +reps for you. =]

usea

Smash Ace
Oh, sorry. Either I had an old version of the thread or I just fail at reading. I read you were manually deleting thousands of frames, instead of using a script to do it for you. That's very useful.

Nigzel

Smash Ace
I'm happy you all contribute to this thread. I will not get mad at anyone in this thread - I hope for it, at least.

Cort, wtf is up with your name? I see it twice!! @_@

Vegard

Smash Lord
I thought Fox's shine would last for only one frame? I downloaded the Fox frame data guide by SDM, but there it says it lasts for four frames..

Got to try this out a little bit in AR. And what should you choose between Debug menu, Develop and all of those options?

Vegard

Smash Lord
Just a couple of questions:

How do you get to training mode from the debug menu?
And when should you push the L-cancel button after an aerial? How many frames does it take? I know how to do it, but not frame by frame...

It was also something else I wanted to get some info about, but I don't remember what it was... I added you on MSN, Nigzel.

Nigzel

Smash Ace
Just a couple of questions:

How do you get to training mode from the debug menu?
And when should you push the L-cancel button after an aerial? How many frames does it take? I know how to do it, but not frame by frame...

It was also something else I wanted to get some info about, but I don't remember what it was... I added you on MSN, Nigzel.
Since your from Norway, I suppose you play PAL: And the fact is that I have a special code for PAL players. Will post it when I'm not that lazy...
Just make sure that L/R at least the frame you LAND. I'd suggest one, maybe two fames before if you unsure.

I don't mind a new bud at MSN at all. ;)

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
You guys mind if I ask a really dumb question here?

I'm not sure I quite get all the talk about 'frames' and why each one needs to be captured individually, stop-motion animation style. Is this something that only applies to the action replay?

Can't you just save big chunks of video and use your editing software to edit the parts of it with a timeline? or does vdub not allow this?

EDIT. I guess I should add that I'm not looking to do videos like zero mercy or total control. I'm looking more to do stuff like the giga bowser vid shown at the last FC, which would require some AR.

Nigzel

Smash Ace
I find it quite obviuos (Spelling? o.O): "You say you want to make Action replay movies like Perfect Control, Adventure or Zero Mercy?" :)

Unless you want to make those real tight and fast movies like those, "normal" conditions are on. Just you go ahead and do the normal editing (Big chunks). ^_^'

shadowdsfire

Smash Apprentice
I have a question for you:
How you make a adventure with the debug menu?
I can make a VS but no a adventure...
Please answer me quickly!

Nigzel

Smash Ace
Hmm, I should probably update it with some shortcuts, yes...

The biggest problem is that I don't have any AR anymore. >___<'

Top Bottom