• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Un-Nerf Kirby Thread!

the iron peach

Smash Apprentice
Kirby was one of the best characters in ssb64. He was nearly unstoppable...

...then he was nerfed. He is now 3rd from the bottom of the tier list. Why? Kirby needs to be improved. Not completely returned to his normal brokenness, but maybe somewhere in between.

some of my ideas:
-less lag time in beginning and end of downB, so it's somewhat useable
-same for neutralB, with less damage, since it would be much easier to use
-less startup lag for the dair
-all parts of final cutter hit, but for low damage
-lower short hop, perhaps. I always found the height to be bothersome, I don't know about you...
-maybe a higher crouch, since if plenty of improvements are made, he could become broken, or at least counter many more characters
-maybe while in the air, he could emit a puff of air instead of the usual neutralB (only 2nd jump or later, like the old platformers)

...so post here with your views on kirby's un-nerfing, or discuss my own.

oh, and...
:kirby: wins at life!

Solid

Smash Rookie
i also agree, in ssb64 i mained as kirby. In melee i tried and i mean i tried hard to use him but it just was too far from the way he was before. they made it so that he basically is only good againts captain falcon, the only thing i liked about how they changed him was his kirby crouch because it made him so he wasnt so easy to be thrown into combos. i hope in ssbb they make it so that he isnt so easilly killed by all the charecters in the game, and mayb even become a counter to a possible highly used charecter (like mediknight :)

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
i agree with the above two members

kirby was not that good in melee. i think he should be smaller as well because thats what gave him an advantage in ssb64

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
KIRBY MUST BE UN-NERFED!

I completely agree with all of your ideas except lowering the lag of the neutralB. The lag isn't that much of a problem.

I think they should do this for the un-nerfing of Kirby.
-if Kirby swallows another kirby, he will get a random neutral B from any playable character in Brawl. If they did this, it adds a luck factor in a the Kirby dittos.

I'm also very disappointed in the fact that Kirby's Crash ability won't be used as his Super move.:( that's one bad step in the wrong direction for un-nerfing Kirby.

the iron peach

Smash Apprentice
i also agree, in ssb64 i mained as kirby. In melee i tried and i mean i tried hard to use him but it just was too far from the way he was before. they made it so that he basically is only good againts captain falcon, the only thing i liked about how they changed him was his kirby crouch because it made him so he wasnt so easy to be thrown into combos. i hope in ssbb they make it so that he isnt so easilly killed by all the charecters in the game, and mayb even become a counter to a possible highly used charecter (like mediknight :)
I mained as kirby too, and although I main peach now, I still try and use him. He does alright against ganon too, but prolly better against captain falcon. Perhaps he should be made a little bit heavier in this game... Also, melon, the lag from his neutralb is pretty bad, especially the startup. It's very hard to get the opponent in it, unless they mess up hugely (marth whiffs an fsmash, etc.) Also, I'm sigging the end of your post.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Kirby defintely needs to be better. Looking at it realistically, he's got such short range, it doesn't really seem possible to out-prioritize Link with a frickin sword, but yea, Kirby needs to be better.

AND IT'S NOT "UN-NERF", IT'S "BUFF" YOU FOOLS.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Look, kill_shot, stop posting. Please. You sound like a moron.

OK, maybe not a moron, but Pikachu DOESNT own! He's low tier!
Give me ONE good reason why Pika trumps Shiek?

Eaode

Smash Champion
OHH, burn.

EDIT: again, Pika does not pwn. I'd post the link to my pika getting 4 stocked, but I can't find it -_-

EDIT2: I just realized something. I added that edit so I wouldn't get warned for spam. But I've seen mods posting like that on several occasions. Abuse of Power!!!

CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!

kill_shot

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu is good if you know how to use him, he could get just a slight boosting on power.

the iron peach

Smash Apprentice
...no, he really isn't good. I play nearly everyone, and pikachu... isn't good. lol. He was broken in ssb64, so he was nerfed too. He is now a hollow shell of his former self, although pros can use him effectively, like Azen and Chu. He is still at a huge disadvantage, though. Go to a tournament and see what happens.

...Also, let's try to keep the discussion to kirby... As much as everyone likes to flame about pikachu, this IS a kirby topic... It's only a matter of time until the whole "ness is top tier" entourage winds up here if the discussion doesn't stay focused on kirby. lol jk ness fans don't kill me lol ;)... But seriously, let's try not to go off topic.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
How the hell does un-nerf sound better? It makes you look like you took English 101 with George W Bush and his "coined" phrases of 'hispanically' and 'misunderestimated'.

No, you know what? IT IS as bad as 'misunderestimated'. My Bad!

But yea.....BUFF Kirby.

Rash

Smash Ace
I can just imagine George W. making an announcement or a state-of-the-union address. "I urge you to un-nerf the little pink guy." :D

But seriously, I agree about Kirby. I enjoyed using him in SSB64, and find it a chore to use him in SSBM in comparison to other characters. Make him better, in some way or the other.

King Axel

Smash Apprentice
Kirby is awesome. And nothing will ever change that.

My friend's pretty good with all the low tier characters. D:

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I agree, I main as Kirby in SSBM. And I definetally think he could be improved.

Some of my ideas include.
-Ground based Forward B: Either speed it up slightly, or give it more power.
OR
Those who have played Kirby Super Star or Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. When Kirby dashes, he does an attack resembling the Ice climbers current Side-B. Perhaps it could be made into that somehow.

Or, they could give him newer abilities. He's got a HUGE move databasethey could use. Tornado, Bomb, Fire, Ice, Fighter, Cutter, Stone, Ninja, Mirror, Beam, etc. However, sincve we already saw him use his older moves in the Trailer, this is unlikely. Meh, at least I don't have to re-learn a whole new Kirby.

Perhaps, they could replace a few of the things that made him so good in SSB. Give him back some of his old moves.

On a side note: Why did they have to make his "Super" attack Chef? Crash Kirby FTW!

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
I agree, I main as Kirby in SSBM. And I definetally think he could be improved.

Some of my ideas include.
-Ground based Forward B: Either speed it up slightly, or give it more power.
OR
Those who have played Kirby Super Star or Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. When Kirby dashes, he does an attack resembling the Ice climbers current Side-B. Perhaps it could be made into that somehow.

Or, they could give him newer abilities. He's got a HUGE move databasethey could use. Tornado, Bomb, Fire, Ice, Fighter, Cutter, Stone, Ninja, Mirror, Beam, etc. However, sincve we already saw him use his older moves in the Trailer, this is unlikely. Meh, at least I don't have to re-learn a whole new Kirby.

Perhaps, they could replace a few of the things that made him so good in SSB. Give him back some of his old moves.

On a side note: Why did they have to make his "Super" attack Chef? Crash Kirby FTW!
They can all be improved, but that would eliminate the charcter specific weaknesses so what the fun in it ifthey make them all better it would make it more bland as agameno real differences between them and what not.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
How the hell does un-nerf sound better? It makes you look like you took English 101 with George W Bush and his "coined" phrases of 'hispanically' and 'misunderestimated'.

But yea.....BUFF Kirby.
Dude, grow up. It doesn't matter. And "GEORGE W. BUSH IS TEH ST00P1D" jokes = old.

I dunno, I kinda liked Melee Kirby, but he DOES pale in comparison to 64 Kirby. And I like the idea of his neutral B sedning out a puff of air when he's inflated and flying around. And his hammer needs work.

the iron peach

Smash Apprentice

But yea.....BUFF Kirby.
Honestly, I don't care. It's completely irrelevant to the topic. If you want to talk about whether buff or un-nerf should be used, go make another thread and hope someone cares. Maybe you'll make a friend. Maybe, if one of them has a sense of humor, they can share it with you.

Also... don't assume Bush is as dumb as he comes off... He's making $400,000 a year. He HAD to do SOMETHING right. Not saying I support him or anything, but not too many stupid people can win the votes of a nation this large.

Anyway, back on topic...
I never thought kirby's hammer was too bad, at least in the air it's good against certain opponents. I think on the ground it should be weaker but faster, or maybe replaced w/ another move. Beam ability would be pretty cool, and it would give him another attack w/ a disjointed hitbox. It's the first ability you can get in most of the games, so it's significant.

kill_shot

Smash Journeyman
yeah, I did notice that his throw was not near as good as on the 64. Amazing on SSB!
oh and eaode settle down. I do that all the time, its no big deal.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
They better un-nerf Kirby, as that was one of the great crimes of SSBM - I'd go so far as to say it was a hate crime against pink cream puffs... :mad: But then again J-Puff was vastly improved...
Still, HOW DARE THEY HATE ON THE KIRBMEISTER! :mad: :mad: :mad:

SLIM

Smash Journeyman
1. Un-nerf kicks BUFF's ***.
2. George W. Bush is a waste
3. Nintendo should make kirby the best character in brawl
4. Sweet

DokturSea

Smash Lord
No, he was definatly nerfed. He was top tier in the 64 days, which I doubt you're old enough to remember...

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
I am old enough I was Luigi. Irrelevent other characters would naturally change the tiers your logic is flawed about the tiers transferring.

the iron peach

Smash Apprentice
Kirby was nerfed. There is no doubt about that. We're trying to discuss changes that can be made, or things that can be changed back to normal, in order to improve kirby as a character. The fact of the matter is, kirby is worse in melee than he was in ssb64. If you actually knew how to play kirby, that would be evident.

sigh...

Anyway.... another idea I have is: perhaps the priority of some of his moves could be improved slightly. Maybe his aerials, since it was said that emphasis would be placed on aerial combat. Speaking of which, how about the throw ability as a sort of aerial grab? Any other ideas?

the iron peach

Smash Apprentice
...That wasn't even remotely funny. I actually agree with the forward aerials and backward aerials needing to be changed, probably made less easy to break out of. This isn't even close to all that needs to be changed. Dair has waaay too much startup lag to make it useful unless the opponent is already far offstage and you have plenty of time to spare. Final cutter only hits in like 3 parts, as opposed to the old version, which could hit in most parts. Have you ever tried the move? Probably not. He's far too floaty, and has far too high a shorthop, to make shffled aerials useful. In his air game, he's like peach without a float cancel. That's not good. His problems aren't with matchups with other characters, they're with his own moveset.

the iron peach

Smash Apprentice
... I play EVERYONE. How can I change characters if I play EVERYONE? I'm kind of out of choices... Not that you would have known that, of course :). I main peach anyway. Kirby's only a backup :).To me, it looks like you're the one who's complaining. I made this thread to discuss changes that could be made to kirby, not to whine about how things are, like you. Or, perhaps, are you still trying to raise your post count? I would have thought it was high enough already, it's not like a high post count garners respect or anything. This was meant to be an intelligent discussion about changes that people would like to be made to kirby. If you don't want to talk about that, then I'll just ignore you. Go ahead and raise your post count until the thread gets closed, I don't care.

Top Bottom