• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Preperation for an in-depth look at the SSBM Metagame

Delphiki

Smash Champion
ATTENTION: THIS IS NOT THE FINAL ARTICLE, THAT CAN BE FOUNDHERE.

In the near future I plan to compose an article which will cover many unclear and controversial aspects of the SSBM metagame. It will initially investigate the etymology of the word, which will lead into how it is commonly used by gamers, and then the proper usage when applied to gaming.

Next I intend to take a foray into an explanation of how metagame knowledge ties in to the character tiers. That will involve a large portion of the article. Finally, I will investigate the metagame of the individual player. This final portion will be aimed towards providing a new look at the competitive scene, in terms of the typical competitive player, while applying the knowledge of one's own metagame to determine both strengths and weaknesses in one's game.

My questions to the community are:

Has this sort of thing been attempted before? If so, what strengths and weaknesses did previous articles hold? Also, where can they be found, for my own review?

My final question is: what other things should this article address?

Mrobinson587

Smash Apprentice
Something that i think will change the metagame if it doesn't get banned is the IC's "wobble". People will find ways around it becoming too dominating just like the shine spiking and float cancelling and space animal slayer and WOP. I think that this will change the metagame greatly. People will develop very good anti IC strategies that we are already seeing with the likes of Falcon Peach Marth and Fox.

Ares726

Smash Ace
I think an important thing to bring out in the article is the level of difference between in metagames between various players in the community. For example, when the professionals sit down at a GCN and play SSBM, they are playing a completely different game from my friends and me. True, it contains similar components such as characters, stages, rules, etc.; however, the games are very different.

This might be something that many people do not take into consideration, but I believe it is important to know.

Also, bring this point out when, in your final section, you review the competitive scene. Different players go to different levels of events, and this affects their own metagame as well as those they play. If you go to a large tournament you learn a lot and advance your own game, and you teach your new knowledge to others thus advancing their game as well.

I am looking forward to this article because I think that investigative research such as this is desperately needed in such a wideranging community. Good luck on this endeavor.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
great insight is always nice.

but honestly and seriously, the only thing that happens in the metagame (whatever that means) is "NO JOHNS." there are no such thing as cheap counters, gay strategies, or whatever because only winning matters. as for whether or not this has been done before... IMO lunin's topic on pro-gamer habits has provided some of the greatest insight for what happens during matches inside the pro's heads... which is basically all that matters in competitive smash.

at the highest level, only mindgames matter. most pros play enough characters that they can't be counter picked. heck, great fox players can't be counter picked.

maybe you should talk about the growth of a smasher and how one develops into a great smasher. and all the realizations that come along with it, for example: only winning matters, low tier players can't be good without a top tier, team play is more difficult than singles, cocky players never get better, etc.

the truth is that the technicalities of tiers and strategies doesn't really matter at the highest level because mindgames take greater priority. they're what should be considered. everyone already knows that only the top four or five characters win large tournaments. (with a few more characters able to win regionals, and any character able to win local tournaments.)

anyways, i don't know what "metagame" means, lol. i assume it means playing at the highest level?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've attempted something like this for MLG. What I'm about to post is an article my editor found a hole in (which I knew existed when I created it). Essentially the Smash community has taken "mindgames" and "metagame" and sorta confused them.

Case in point, during matches, mindgames are essentially how the person thinks/reacts during the entire match. The level of this thinking can be considered his metagame. But, by the same token, the metagame can be considered on a broad spectrum, ie "the higher level metagame". Or for characters "the metagame of the ice climbers". Some people confuse metagame to mean the peak of any characters ablility to be played, when in reality the metagame is simply a given point in a person learning cycle. The problem is simply differentiating between mindgames and the metagame. In reality mindgames are actually referred to as "Metagaming" by a formal definition. IE in match you are metagaming.

Here is the article I had created that was scrapped (a differant version, containing some of the same points, is still in the works).
------------------------------------------------

Defining Skill: A Smasher’s Metagame

Each month Smashers from all over the country converge on a single city. It has happened in Chicago. Anaheim. Dallas. New York. Like their Halo brethren, these events provide a rare opportunity for Smashers to commune with a national presence. Unlike their Halo brethren though, these meetings allow Smashers to advance their overall level of play--their metagame--by leaps and bounds.

From Chess to Soccer, the term metagame has been used for years to describe certain unseen qualities in a game. Smashers have come up with their own definition, morphed through years of slang and discussion by the game’s highest and most dedicated players. In short, a player’s metagame is how they reason and perform during a match by judging, predicting, and reacting to their opponent based on previous and similar encounters. The metagame is usually broken into two components: technical ability and mind-games. These components working in tandem most readily represent a player’s skill level.

Mind-Games: A misnomer of sorts, the phrase “mind games” has long been used to describe the act of tricking and manipulating the opponent. It has since come to embody something more than a simple, single trick pulled on occasion during a match. Mind-games are now used to describe just how a player thinks and manipulates the opponent during the course of an entire match. Just how advanced a player’s mind-games are depends largely on another variable: experience.

Experience builds a player’s ability to reason during a match. The more experience the better, but what is also important is the type of experience player’s have. Tournament experience is far and away more important than any other form, as most players have a tendency to fool around or not play as serious in non-tournament matches.

Technical Ability: Technical ability is the key for progressing to the upper echelon of the Smash community. Every pro is on roughly same ground, although a few, like Mew2King, break the mold as technically superior players. Even players well below this caliber may possess technical prowess--which is why gaining experience to outsmart the opponent is so vital and often the only difference maker in a match (outside of inherent character advantages).

The need for technical ability is not always apparent to a player who dominates their friends without there use. The argument is compounded when the same player meets the same success against technically proficient opponents. The reason is that experience can sometimes outweigh the benefits of technical skill at low or mid level metagame’s, largely because the advantages of newly learned techniques are not fully utilized, or are not utilized consistently.

What makes technical players so dangerous? Options. Simply put, the more options the better. Technical players have fewer limitations than non-technical players. For example, easy counter techniques like shield grabbing are massively effective against a player with low technical ability, but these effects are minimal against players wit h high technical ability because of L-Canceling.

Why are all pros at roughly the same level of technical skill? Picture this: every member of Carbon learns to team shoot double shots consistently (doubling their kill efficiency), creating, at first, a technical skill gap between them and the other top teams. The result is that the other high level teams must also learn to consistently team shoot double shots, lest they be left in the dust. In this way, both Halo and Smash have gone through a very long and tedious process of technical evolution, where new techniques are discovered and integrated into game play over time.

Each curve on this graph starts at a base point where the player has had no experience against human opponents. All three curves have a theoretical asymptote, representing the maximum skill level any player can achieve with their given technical ability level. It should be noted that the metagame will always increase with experience, but the effects become less profound over time as the asymptote is approached. This theoretical maximum also changes as technical ability increases and thus more options become available.

The Low Curve: Most owners of SSBM will never advance past this level of play, though often times they don’t have a need to. These players know how the game works, they understand the concepts, and they know just about everything any casual player will discover through the natural process of playing. How good they are within this set level of play depends largely on the number of opponents they have faced and how often they have played.

The curve does not account for the integration of techniques because there aren’t any techniques to integrate beyond the basics of the game, thus causing the curve to be mostly linear in function.

The Mid Curve: The transition curve in Smash. Technical ability is spotty at best and the application is usually used incorrectly or ineffectively. The concavity at the beginning represents players learning to incorporate their spotty technical ability against humans during matches—a slow process at first.

Many Halo pros who currently experiment with Smash fall somewhere on this curve, having learned most of the advanced techniques but not with the proficiency of someone on the high curve.

The High Curve: There are a host of players on this curve, a testament both to the strength of the competitive community and to MLG. Almost the entire Smash staff falls here, having mastered long ago the advanced techniques. Players on this curve now focus solely on outsmarting the competition, a process learned through tournament experience.

Being on the high curve does not mean someone is a high level player. Keep in mind the property of each curve is reflective of technical ability, not overall ability (the height of the curve at a given point would be the ability). The area highlighted in orange is a gauge of where most pro players lie. Prodigies like Ken and Isai are represented on the yellow portion of the graph.

During each tournament there is an unspoken of exchange of information. Since players practice together within a given region, they have developed similar styles, counters, and strategies—their regional metagame. MLG tournaments progress these metagames as these different play styles collide to form an overall national metagame. Most, even those heavily experienced, leave tournaments with a new appreciation of the game. When Orlando takes place, the process will occur once again, where Smashers from every region exchange what they have learned and incorporated since the last national get-together.

---------------------------------------

The problems with the article were...well. I attempted to cover to much in a 2 page constraint. For Smash, this article has referances to Halo, so for this board it isn't quite right. The graph is somewhat arbitrary (sp?), at first I tried 3 differant graphs, with technical skill and mindgames being the separate axis, but then I realized that didn't make any sense (ie technical skill doesn't nessasary increase mindgames, it is that technical + expierance that will cause an increase). Anyways, overall the article was soso, the editor helped me out afterwards on using some of this information for a new article (to be realesed god knows when).

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
During each tournament there is an unspoken of exchange of information. Since players practice together within a given region, they have developed similar styles, counters, and strategies—their regional metagame. MLG tournaments progress these metagames as these different play styles collide to form an overall national metagame. Most, even those heavily experienced, leave tournaments with a new appreciation of the game. When Orlando takes place, the process will occur once again, where Smashers from every region exchange what they have learned and incorporated since the last national get-together.
i love this part =] it also makes me feel bad for having to miss out on the comming biggest tourney in BC this year.

AlphaZealot.. awesome post like all your other posts. but..

WHERES THE GRAPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ><

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't know? My guess is you can't view the graph because of bandwidth problems at geocities. In other words it will be viewable sporatically once the bandwidth resets. If anyone has a better hosting site I'll just post it there and so forth.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
a good example of metagame is the current tier list.

there are plenty of articles about metagaming in general over the net.

personally, i would suggest looking at some of the MTG ones, where metagame is extremely complicated and precise.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
yeah magic the gathering.

thats where i first learn about real, competetive metagaming.

its the metagame which makes crappy decks like fish which cost 20 pounds beat decks like academy which cost over 400 pounds :p

i DO remember reading alot of magic the gathering metagame articles, and usually they are specific to magic, so it doesnt help if you dont know anything about it. i think if you trawl through the wizards site and articles compendium and archive you should find a few.

alot of the articles will be case specific - like the metagame for a particular set, how some decks affected others, how some decks cause people to do this and that, what people were looking out for, being afraid of.

a good example of metagame in smash would be shiek.

alot of the low and bottom tiers are there, because shiek counters them sooo badly. if shiek didnt exist, probably alot of characters like link would shine through a bit more.

aperson

Smash Rookie
I've actually given some consideration to writing a piece on the metagame of Smash. The idea came to me a bit after I was playing Go with some of my roommates, and I realized that the chunking processes and initiatives we took on each other were very similar to the situations that arose in Smash. I think taking a game theory + opponent analysis approach to developing metagame would lead to some very interesting results.

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
az, that graph is totally bogus and blatantly east coast. look at drephen. have you seen his shiek or marth play? his mindgames, not tech skill, have gotten him to a higher "metagame".

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
i think one of the most important thing about metagames is that its relative.

metagames that "pros" have, compared to just regular gamers, even compared to the standard adv tech player, can be very different depending on the environment <hence the defenition of metagaming!>

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea I've seen Drephen play. I've played Drephen, he goes to the same college that I do actually. His tech skill is the same as everyone elses in comparison to the characters he plays. In other words, he lcancels, wavedashes, di's correctlys, etc with sheik the same as any other top level sheik. Remember, Fox/Falco require more technical skill than most characters, but Wife doesn't have to have the best technical skill with Fox/Falco, instead, what is important is that he is at the top of the technical level for his character. This brings up the easy example of a Peach player, who seldom needs to Lcancel (all the top ones do, but will rarely do it because they are float canceling their attacks).

You can't find a good (read pro) player who doesn't know how to wavedash, lcancel (shuffle), etc. They simply don't exist, and theres a reason for it.

aperson

Smash Rookie
Realize that technical ability and the metagame of a match are intricately linked together. Basically, technical ability gives you more options whenever any situation arises. These extra options give you a better expected payoff on the games of simultaneous decision that arise in SSBM: It let's you optimize mixed strategies, and it let's you initiate binary mindgames where the opponent used to have a raw dominant strategy.

To understand the metagame well, players must be keenly aware of the level of thinking at which the player is at (i.e. the Sicilian chain of reasoning: what is he thinking, what does he think I'm thinking, what does he think that I think he's thinking, etc...), and players must also be aware of the technical limitations of their opponents so that they can understand the payoffs (and thus find the dominant strategy) of all the individual games that arise in SSBM.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
hmmm... has anyone ever written a sort of history of the metagame?

like...

This is when shine-spiking was discovered
This is when Chudat broke out and moved IC's up the tier list
This is when wavedashing was discovered
etc.

something like that? or if it doesnt exist, could someone knowledgeable put one together maybe? cause i joined SWF when the game was basically at its current state and everything was already discovered

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Technical discoveries happened way before my time. I thought about making quick mention of these things, but I decided against it, I don't think it would be of any benefit to most players.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Shine spiking wouldn't be that important.

Its more along the lines of...

Links use to be really good, you grab a lead then play defensive (without lcanceling it was very difficult to beat upb outa the shield).
Then people started to really lcancel (this was like..3-4 years ago)
Links dropped down some.
Sheik rose up as the best possible character (and was before this because lcanceling wasn't that wide spread).
Marth/Peach were seen as the only characters to really challenge this.
Fox then became godly in 2005 once people really started to waveshine and abuse his technical prowess (and towards the end of 2004). People began to think that with enough technical skill they could override Sheiks rule (they were right).
Falco started toward the end of 2005 after Bombsoldier played Ken and then PC Chris started to do well, that has carried over into 2006.
2006 has been mostly just the rule of Fox/Falco (PC Chris, Mew2King, KoreanDJ, Chillin, and just about every good player has a Fox/Falco that they can use in a tournament (Ken, ChuDat).
The Ice Climbers are also starting to have their breakout year because they work pretty well against Falco/Fox.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
thanks.

sorry, delphiki, this probably should be a seperate thread

thats enough though... i guess i dont really need to know this lol

haha its funny that people used to not L-cancel! i thought that carried over from N64!!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think I'm on the mid curve possibly low. I never knew of there techs until my GC stopped reading games 10 months ago. Now my skills are slowly slipping from me, which is probably good considering now I can integrate techs into my game more easily.

usea

Smash Ace
Perhaps another small consideration would be to mention sandbagging in one way or another. Its effect on exchange of information, and possibly its acceptability in the community compared to other communities. For example, most people consider friendlies meaningless in ssbm, but in a lot of other games they're just as highly regarded as tournament matches.

Well, on second thought this isn't super applicable. The angle is there, but it would kind of be fluff.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I can see you are all brimming with excitement over this. Makes me wonder if it's even worth writing, seeing as how nobody cares.
If you're looking for excitement from other smashers before writing it, then you don't care either. Drop the project, or finish it.

You are currently looking for an audience, not advice; there is a difference.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
I can see you are all brimming with excitement over this. Makes me wonder if it's even worth writing, seeing as how nobody cares.
I've been waiting for this since you started the thread, and I can't wait to read it. I didn't have anything to contribute though, and I'm sure there are a lot of other people like me who do care, but don't really have anything to say until it's done.

And if there aren't, then it's probably simply because it hasn't been written yet, so there isn't a whole lot to get excited over. I already expect a lot from this though, because you're one of the most thoughtful posters on Smashboards I've seen.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Hey AlphaZealot, how would you describe Marths evolution from beginning to now?

Curious, Vilness.

Thansk for the article, I found it useful.

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
I've been waiting for this since you started the thread, and I can't wait to read it. I didn't have anything to contribute though, and I'm sure there are a lot of other people like me who do care, but don't really have anything to say until it's done.

And if there aren't, then it's probably simply because it hasn't been written yet, so there isn't a whole lot to get excited over. I already expect a lot from this though, because you're one of the most thoughtful posters on Smashboards I've seen.
QFT. I'm in the same boat, I know some techniques and some competitive smash things, but i dont really get to go to tournaments and can only play one or two pretty good friends. i can't contribute anything, but i can't wait to read this when it's finished.

Top Bottom