• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashalot 1/20/07 San Antonio Tournament(s)

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
For a long time I’ve been trying to establish a consistent tournament in San Antonio. Starting January 20, there will be a tournament every 3rd Saturday of the month at Gamelot

Gamelot has the capability to host 30 TVs and consoles at the same time. A free retro arcade will be open from 2:00 pm until the tournament ends.

I’m hoping this event will be the first of many; but it can’t be done with out all of you (players). Here’s the information, hope to see you there on the 20th.

Top 8 Prize*
$200
$150
$100
$75
$50
$50
$30
$30

*Based upon minimum 64 player participation.

Registration

$15 entry fee

Online registration isn't going to happen because at the moment their online security isn't up and running yet. You can still register by phone at 210.684.0101 and if you do you still get a $5 redeemable coupon for the next event. At the door registration begins at 2:00 pm January 20 the Tournament will start promptly at 3:00 pm.

Directions:
On Bandera and Huebner on the corner with the Church's Chicken.

Bring your own controller
Controllers are available: $5 dollar rental
$25 dollar deposit required

Tournament Rules
Matches will be best 2 of 3.
Random stages are Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Kirby 64, Yoshi’s Story
Banned stages are Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Brinstar Depths, Onett and Fourside
No items.
6 minute time limit.
4 stock.
A stage cannot be played more than once in a match.
At the beginning of a match players can opt for a double blind pick.
After a game the loser picks the stage, the winner decides what character he will play and then the loser will pick their character and the game will begin.

Also we're gonna need some tvs and consoles/games. If you can bring them email or pm me by the 17th. (or just show up, the more we have, the faster the tournament goes, but I'ld liked to know for organizational purposes beforehand.)

ryan_nill@hotmail.com (for those who still don’t know my name) or pm me.
To contact Cliff Short go to his webpage or call at 210.684.0101

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
Nope, I don't want to go through the same thing that happened at the last bluefork tournament between SOS and Kirby Kid over stage strikes. Plus they don't add strategy to the game, they take it away.

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
O RLY?

Striking Dreamland when i know I am going against a Peach creates more strategy. Then, the Peach isn't able to counter with Dreamland and would therefore counter with Mute City. Most Likely. That way you have to have more strategy knowing where you are going to play.

Actually, I change my opinion. It doesn't create or destroy strategy, it just changes it.

Plus I like this, nobody can ban Yoshi's Story this way.

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I can agree with the idea that the strategy changes... Hey maybe we can make that into a smash law or something...

Smash Law Number 1
Strategy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed into another form.

Or maybe not.

Xelic

Smash Ace
Onett SHOULD be banned from every tournament. Just like the IC's infinite grab.

On a side note, I will have to see about coming to these. It will have to depend on obligations to school.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Well, JM's tourney is a week after this one and if I have to choose between the two, I will go to JM's.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
weird that more stages arent banned. I'll come to these :) if there's enough time, can there be teams too??

oh, and what will the prizes be if there arent 64 people? percents?

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
On the banned stages I just picked the obvious ones, I'm up for adding more to the list if you guys want. Onett sounds good to me... Shiek vs. Fox isn't fun on Onett.

As for the prize, I'm pretty sure we can get 64 people. I've been talking to Cliff about this for 2-3 weeks and a lot of people who go to his shop have shown interest, plus if we can get the usual smashboards crowd of 15-30 I don't think we'll have to worry about it. Even so, I will talk to Cliff about alternate prize layouts if attendance is below 64 or excessively above 64.

If there is enough time, the plan is to have a team tournament after the main event. But no guarantees.

Darth Es Guess

Smash Cadet
Well, JM's tourney is a week after this one and if I have to choose between the two, I will go to JM's.
yo try sumtin new for a change..... go to this tourney...

Hey JM, maybe if this tourny is successful wouldya mind if you helped us with hostin some of ur tournements with Rice Burner? i know you get a lot of ppl for ur tourneys so if you decide to help us out if this first one goes well.

to everyone else..... HELP OUT AND GET PPL TO PARTICIPATE HERE!!!

Kyle Broflovski

Smash Journeyman
Is this place new or something? I pass by this area all the time and have never noticed it. Anyways, sounds good, if I'm lucky I can make it, the 3 o'clock start time is good, but I'm hoping for 4, that way it's a slightly better chance of me getting a day shift at work. I'd have an hour to find my way over there, but it's still more likely than getting the day off.

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, its new, it opened up I want to say about a month ago. He moved from his much smaller location on Tezel to here, where I actually tried to get him to host a tournament about 2 years ago, but he was restricted by size. Its on the same corner as the Churchs, for reference.

As for time, i've been to enough tournaments to know that 1 is way to early for most people, and 4 is too late if we want to have any other events like a team tournament or have it finished at a reasonable time. So I think this is a good time and won't be changing it.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
One isn't too early...

One is perfect. I see most tourneys start between noon and two. Not saying what you're doing won't work, just that one is certainly not too early.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I'll be sure to go if i have to walk. I've been trying to find a tournament in SA-Town for too long and have been getting sich of creming nOObs.

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you austin people, but here in SA when you say 1, it really means show up at 1:30 and start the tournament in half an hour/hour. That being said, we really want to start the tournament at 3. Registration closes at that time and the tournament will be started as soon as possible after that point.

Shalank

Smash Rookie
My roomate and myself have never been to a tourney, but have always wanted to. I have no idea where this place is thats hosting, but we have no problem driving. We're gonna most definetly be there (if I can get someone to pick up my shift).

Anything we should know, this being our first tournament?

Kyle Broflovski

Smash Journeyman
My roomate and myself have never been to a tourney, but have always wanted to. I have no idea where this place is thats hosting, but we have no problem driving. We're gonna most definetly be there (if I can get someone to pick up my shift).

Anything we should know, this being our first tournament?
Umm.... don't be scared off by anything you see, or if you get 4 stocked in your first match. We like newbies! We like it better when they come back too.

Oh, bring your own controllers, keep an eye on them at ALL times, and don't make the organizers mad by being late for registration and matches.

Hope you guys can make it (hell I hope to have the day off work).

Shalank

Smash Rookie
Well, I wouldnt say we're newbies, but then again, we've only been able to play against each other for like the past year. We dont know anyone else here in SA who plays, so were looking forward to it.

And where is this place?

Kyle Broflovski

Smash Journeyman
Well, I wouldnt say we're newbies, but then again, we've only been able to play against each other for like the past year. We dont know anyone else here in SA who plays, so were looking forward to it.

And where is this place?
Actually, it's annoying, the adress is under the website listed on the first post, but it's at Bandera and Hubner, on the corner with the Church's Chicken.

I remember this owner though, he used to be in the purple cactus, right?

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
Yep, same guy, Kyle.

As for the new guys, come to this tournament with the idea that you're there to have fun, improve your skills, meet new people and start making connections and playing with those people (the ones that are better than you that is). Never go into a tournament for a game you've never compeited in expecting to win. And everything Kyle said 4 posts up also applies.

As for being a noob... well, i've been playing this game since it came out (5 year anniversary was like 3 weeks ago), and I played the original game since it came out. I've played against the best Texas and San Antonio Players, gone to tournaments for the past 3 years... and I consider myself a noob. (whether I am or not, is up for debate)

Random (and somewhat pointless) update... there's a link to this thread from the Gamelot page, plus they got the tournament on their event calander now.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
OMG, a tournament in my hometown for once?

Maybe I'll go, just maybe.

Santi

Smash Lord
Is it 15 to get in ?
and 10 to play?

i can go
along with a couple friends

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
Its just $15 bucks for the tournament. Thats it. So feel free to come by and just check it out if you want. And I would be happy with the extra cube and TV kyle : )

Royal

Smash Apprentice
Hey felix..are you the guy I played @ Bluefork's last toruney? (The one with no a/c >.<)
It was losers bracket, and we were doin shiek dittos.

Why I ask? I'm.. not quite sure. lol

tehuberone

Smash Rookie
So, still need any tvs?
Got a few questions.
Can I bring my Wii to play SSBM?
Can I use a PS2 controller( I use a converter)?
If so I'll bring my tv for some 480p smash on the Wii.

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
There is no such thing as too many TVs, and yeah go ahead and bring a Wii instead of a GCN. As for the PS2 controllers as long it doesn't have any programmable buttons or the like (same goes for gcn controllers.)

Royal, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of me, your name sounds really familiar, and i did attend that tournament and I do remember a Shiek ditto. But i thought it was second round winners bracket.

Top Bottom