• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu 'Straight Upwards Twice' Quick Attack Recovery *NEW*

ant-d

Smash Lord
Pikachu can quick attack upwards twice. Malva first told me about this yesterday.

I believe this was first found out accidentally by a Japanese smash player. I managed to find the original Japanese video. I uploaded it to here:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=22183492621123914

このビデオを送ってくれたプリンスに感謝!

Method:

1. Press Up+B
2. After Pika begins to move, back/down/forward tilt at exactly "60". (see pic)

In other words, tilt as weak as possible that still allows Pika to continue the quick attack. If you do it correctly Pika will move up for the second part of the move.

Better Video:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=5592492531740205404

_kSo_

Smash Master
wow thats incredible. All those times i thought it impossible. someone out there has just proved me wrong...

ant-d

Smash Lord
I'm still refining it to find the simplest way possible. If I were to explain it with the information I have now it would be too confusing and you couldn't possibly do it in real time.

Don't expect to be using this technique at will. It requires a lot of precision to say the least... but I suppose practice makes perfect..

Malva should come on MSN @.@

_kSo_

Smash Master
hmm that sounds about right. makes sense that it would be something that would require a lot of precision and accuracy

_kSo_

Smash Master
oh i would have guessed that if you could go up with this technique you may have been able to do the other directions twice. it WOULD be quite helpful to do double horizontal tho

ant-d

Smash Lord
One would think that was true but this technique is quite strange.

I can do it in real time now so the method I've found is probably the easiest. I'll experiment some more with this then post up the final method.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
The double horizontal up b is definately possible. I've done it and I've seen it done on accident many a time.

ant-d

Smash Lord
1. Press Up+B
2. After Pika begins to move back/down/forward tilt at exactly "60".

In other words, tilt as weak as possible that allows Pika to move. If you do it correctly Pika will move up for the second part of the move.

ant-d

Smash Lord
It's very difficult. It's not likely to change anything x__x
It is humanly possible to do, however the risk vs chance of pulling it off are not good.

If anyone wants to see it in action, ask me on Kaillera.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I guess so, but one thing, when online, pressing a direction means all the way. How in the kallera vid did he get it by "accident" if it wasent set to go to 60 automatically?

multijack

Smash Cadet
Ive done this going right on hyrule castle next to the ground but starting from the air, Dont know how tho, Whats malvas msn?

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Buh.

I don't understand half the posts in this thread, simply because you're all typing garbled. Ant-d is mixing up his tenses and some people are just spewing random stuff.

Maybe I'm just tired; does anyone else notice a severe lack of sense-making in this thread? :p

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
I could do this anyway. It's easy. I do it all the time.
My method:
Up + B
Very quickly DownTilt and then Press up again.

If it doesn't work then you were too slow.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Not it is not easy and you don't do it all the time.

It has nothing to do with speed so your method doesn't make sense.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Not it is not easy and you don't do it all the time.

It has nothing to do with speed so your method doesn't make sense.
His method might not be about the speed, but it rather places your fingers at the right place at the right time by giving them something to do in a very simple manner.

In onther words, Instead of finding 60, he can use the up down thing and within that motion, 60 is hit when the second phase of the up b is happening. I cant word it much better, but its pretty mich like giving your fingers the lagg needed in the motion to the... Ill stop saying words...

ant-d

Smash Lord
I really wonder why people don't read before they post comments.

He said:
"Up+B. Very quickly DownTilt and then Press up again."

If you 'press up' Pikachu will not move anywhere.

It doesn't matter what was pressed before it. The movement of "Up" stops the technique.

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
Forgive me if i'm wrong, and, altho it's always neat to find out new little things like this especially when the game has been out so long but, apart from allowing you to recover from much lower directly below an edge, (so I guess you could take pika much further out when breaking their recovery as you then could DI below the ledge and use this from further down,) I honestly don't see any practical use to it. I guess i'm asking anyone with more experience with the game than me if they can see potential in this new recovery. As a pika main, I'm just wondering if i can use this to increase ma skillz (or lack of, lol)

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
Aye, fair enuff but you KNOW that some people out there, whether it be only one or two, are gonna practice and practice until they pull it off fluently. I really should stop being lazy and read an entire thread before I post tho.

Top Bottom