• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seanson's Hitbox System v1.0.17.1 (updated june 30)

Seanson

Smash Ace
Introduction
I hate being abused by range, and I assume most of you people do too. How many times have you been playing and something hits you that was like "omg wtf how the crap" *grumble*. Maybe you also wonder how some attacks hit, such as Peach's downsmash, or what the deal is with Marth's grab. It is super big after all. Anyways, I found myself asking my brother, SuperDoodleMan, all sorts of frame questions while we play. I'm not sure how it came up, but we started talking about some way to have every hitbox on display. After all, learning new characters is better when you have an idea about their range and hitboxes. So... in light of all that I just mentioned, I present:

Seanson's SSBM Hitbox System v1.0.17.1

What is it all about?
Well as the name may suggest, it is a system for hitboxes. This program will be a way to look at any hitbox from any character after simply choosing the character and attack.

Random info about it

First of all it was coded in java, the programming language I'm learning here at school. Even though 80% of the stuff was more advanced than I knew, I was determined to learn. That explains the horrible interface, but it works nonetheless. I know that it may not be what you expect but more will be added to it as I learn. I programmed it in just a few days, but I plan to add a lot more. Some features to hope for include:
- Better control over frame viewing (slider bar that cna be grabbed)
- Better interface! black and white is pretty boring
- Better efficiency. You can always optomize code! (My code at least ;))

Features
See every hitbox of every character's many moves with simple character/attack selection boxes.

Control the frames. It has simple control mechanisms; next frame, previous frame, first frame, and play. Play will play the whole animation from start to finish at a specified speed (1x, 1/2x, 1/4x, 1/8x, or 1/16x)

Extra Info includes the damage of that attack, the recovery time, knockback amount, general trajectory, and side notes for special attacks.

Constant upadates because something this helpful needs to be the best it can be. Versions are a good thing to have, so people know when what they have is out of date.

Completed Characters

Additional Random Info
Images are loaded as soon as every character/attack combo is chosen, for slower connections this may cause a bit of down time as attacks with 100 frames are about 800kb each, but there aren't that many 100 frame attacks. Attacks 40-60 aren't as bad. Either way, you'd have to load the images anyways, so it might as well be beforehand so you don't get any white/skipped frames because they haven't been loaded yet.

Instructions:
1. Select Character
2. Select Move

Online Version
http://www.bigprojects.net/sean/ssbmhitbox/ssbmhitbox.html

Downloads
Click this to go to the download page.This HitboxSystem.jar is a fix for 1.0.17.1, allowing DKs frames to be viewed: www.bigprojects.net/sean/ssbmhitbox/HitboxSystem.rar

Update Notes
Previous Updates Stored in the readme.
1.0.3.0 - Includes all previous updates, just zipped up in download form.
1.0.4.0 - Sheik has been fully added in to the system.
1.0.5.0 - Ness has been fully added in to the system.
1.0.6.0 - Samus has been fully added in to the system.
1.0.7.0 - Jigglypuff has been fully added to the system.
1.0.9.0 - Captain Falcon has been added to the system. Pikachu has been fully added to the system.
1.0.10.1 - Bowser has been fully added to the system. Zelda's Neutral B has been added.
1.0.12.0 - Zelda and Ice Climbers have been added to the system.
1.0.15.0 - Added Luigi, Link, and Dr. Mario to the system.
1.0.16.0 - Added Peach to the system.
1.0.17.1 - DK added, kirby tilts and jab

Tutorial: How do I link to individual frames?

Follow the simple formula:
-http://www.bigprojects.net/sean/ssbmhitbox/frames/CHARACTER_NAME/ATTACK_NAME/FRAME#.jpg

all names are full and lowercase (if that matters) some examples are:
captain falcon
pichu
dr mario

jab
dash attack
neutral air

NOTE: In the URL, all spaces (blanks) must be represented using -> %20

Here are some examples of correctly linked images:
-http://www.bigprojects.net/sean/ssbmhitbox/frames/pikachu/grab/15.jpg
-http://www.bigprojects.net/sean/ssbmhitbox/frames/captain%20falcon/forward%20air/20.jpg

Notice in the above example, %20 is BOLDED because it represents a space and is required, urls do not like spaces.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
This thing is awesome.

/saves to favorites.

I wish I could help, but I don't have any access to an AR. All I can say is keep up the amazing work!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I have been looking for something like this for quite some time!

If you can finish it and fix it up a bit, you definitely will find hosting with me.

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
Holy Crap. o.0.
this is crazy.
*bookmarked*
i'd like to see some ness and samus attacks, and maybe some of the jacket hitboxes too.
Still, awesome so far, can't wait to see...

Seanson

Smash Ace
Thank you for so many nice responses. This may be a slow week, but by this time next week (after weekend filming) I hope to have 6-7 full characters completed. :)

Seanson

Smash Ace
It works for me... and apparently others... so all I can say is make sure you have Java 1.5. You can find out by going into the command prompt and typing 'java -version'

Start -> Run -> "cmd" -> "java -version"

I have version 1.5.0_09, which I think is the newest. If you don't have it you can download it here:

http://java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp

Hope this helps.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
i have an ar, i would like to help, but my means of video capture are somewhat limited...
if you really really need help, though, pm me, ill see what i can do.
anyway this looks awesome so far, when it gets completely finished, it will help alot, especially for people to use with their character-specific guides and such...

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Ok, your applet is flickering, which means you should double buffer it (so it'll be smooth). Basically it involves having a frame where you combine all the components into one and then paint that at the same time (my memory is a little fuzzy here. I haven't programmed java since last year) at a set FPS.
That graphics coding is rather complicated (I pretty much have to look it up), but if you want, i can dig up some coding that i used for smooth graphics.

Secondly, you can load all the images at applet loading, to reduce lag. I can get that for you, too, if i dig around a bit.

For a minimal amount of work on releasing it offline, just put everything into a zip, and make an html document that loads up the applet. There, all ppl need to do is to unzip into a folder, and then run the html file with any internet browser with proper java installed.

Edit:

Don't tell me you're using the Timer class for the timing.... -.-.... That is a very inaccurate class to measure time with, because it uses the wait (or was it delay) command, and so is affected by hwo busy the system is (more busy system = longer waits). Instead, use a System.millisec() (or something like that... you can go look it up) to use the internal clock for accurate time measurements.

Just respond or PM if you're interested in seeing my code on how to use buffer graphics, preload images, and using system clock (vital for buffering graphics).

Seanson

Smash Ace
Never would of thought of just using an html file :lick:

And yes, to be honest I don't understand a single thing you just said about double buffers and what not, but I am willing to learn. We basically JUST covered arrays and haven't even touched applets/graphics in my very slow moving java class. I must learn everything on my own, which I have done to some degree. Show me the way of the double buffer! It would be much appreciated, those white lines are annoying :mad: .

edit: loading images on applet startup... would it be bad since there are upwards of 10,000 frames in jpg form t be loaded?

Seanson

Smash Ace
If it isnt the version of java, then I don't know what it is :ohwell:

I wish I knew more about java and such. Maybe somebody else would be able to help.

There will probably not be any major updates for a few days, which will give possible helpers time to come forward. When updates occur, down to just a single move being added, they'll be tacked on to the end of the first post.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Make sure you pick the character, the move, then hit load.

After that, hit play. If that is still not working, hit play again. If that is still not working, hit the frame by frame buttons.

That's my solution to "it doesn't work and I have java"

Seanson

Smash Ace
everybody, keep in mind it is still very new. after this weekend, much progress will be made to it. As of now, i will estimate that by monday night, there will be 10+ charcters fully completed. it may seem like a long time to wait, but it's only a little under a week :)

the wheels are in motion!

Doraki

Smash Lord
Wouldn't it be best to have the character stationary as much as possible ?
I just watched Fox's bair and I clearly saw how he was falling, but you don't always do your backairs while you're falling like that..

For example you can go to the underground area in hyrule, at 999%, and have a peach spam dtilt on you until it gets weak enough, then you get stuck floating on ceiling.
I'd like it better if you could do that for aerials.

Next would be the hitbox's damage, maybe knockback/defaut trajectory, says what hitboxes are meteors, which hitbox has priority if you hit someone with 2 different hitoxes etc etc...

Seanson

Smash Ace
For example you can go to the underground area in hyrule, at 999%, and have a peach spam dtilt on you until it gets weak enough, then you get stuck floating on ceiling.
Well you don't fall like that very often in real battles. Maybe I am missing it, but how is "falling" (idle air animation, can be going up or down) any different from the way with -gravity and just free fall?

On a side note, tonight I'll implement a little info display for each move, including damage, knockback, or other side notes, since I have nothing else to do at the moment.

Seanson

Smash Ace
should be, works for my firefox and my brother's too.

make sure you're doing an attack that has been implemented, so far it's just fox's aerials

Doraki

Smash Lord
I meant, you're falling when you're capturing, so you're moving, so the hitboxes are moving too, and because of that you see a trace of the hitboxes.
Since the hitboxes move with the character, that trace can be in different directions than just up above fox. You may be jumping upwards or moving left or right or having a lot of momentum for some reason, etc...

I think it'd be better to separate the shape and positions of the hitboxes from the character's movements as much as possible.

And if you can get the firefox's hitboxes, I'd really like to see them :p

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
This is quite possibly one of the most important things anybody has made on Smashboards in a long while. Can we please see some stickage?

Seanson

Smash Ace
I meant, you're falling when you're capturing, so you're moving, so the hitboxes are moving too, and because of that you see a trace of the hitboxes.
Since the hitboxes move with the character, that trace can be in different directions than just up above fox. You may be jumping upwards or moving left or right or having a lot of momentum for some reason, etc...

I think it'd be better to separate the shape and positions of the hitboxes from the character's movements as much as possible.
Good point. I was not thinking about that. It would be a tiny bit more work but I'm willing to bet it will be worth it. My top priority is completion, to some extent. Once a majority of things are captured I'll probly fix/refilm aerials that were done that way. I will keep this in mind, and luckily theres no worry for ground attacks :)

On a side note, minor updates! see bottom of first post for details. The new slider bar for easy-selection of frames is currently invisible... but not for long. I'm off to learn how to fix that because a slider bar you can't see, isn't really a slider bar at all!

Zink

Smash Champion
Has Frozenserpent been helping you with improving coding? If neccessary I can ask around at school and see if there's anyone who can help with java.
I noticed something about the scroll bar though- it is hidden because the space alloted for the frame tracker thing isn't big enough, so the first couple frames, the slider hasn't reached the area where it becomes visible yet. The same thing happens at the end. However, I noticed that if you click and drag on the tracker to the left if it's at the end or right if it's at the beginning the scroll bar will be dragged into view.

Seanson

Smash Ace
I sent him a PM but he hasn't replied yet. Coding help may not be needed as much, since I can try to go learn everything I need. However, if someone does feel they must help, I won't refuse them :) . Currently the coding problems are:

-loading images as you play them = bad
-white bars while playing (something about double buffers? I'm about to go read up on them after i post this)
-better look? black and white is boring, if I could incorporate some good color and/or some smash char pictures onto the interface it'd be that much more enjoyable.

so those are some things to think about

edit: about the slider bar... I tried for about 20 minutes of to get it positioned correctly but it sucks. the ONYL reason the rectangle is there is so that you are not completely guessing where it is. when the slider is visible, there shouldnt be a need for the rectangle (same with the ones around the dropdown boxes)

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
I could help during my small amount of free time. I have an AR, but the only recording items I have is a camcorder, so I'm not sure if you'll want that.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I'm not an especially advanced java programmer. All I know comes from one year of java class plus what I taught myself from various resources. What this means that my explanations may be misleading or may be skewed, as I never had a knowledgeable programmer correct me.

But for pretty much all the new things I learned comes from this: http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/.

And for preloading, it works like this... normally the applet doesn't load the images it uses. Instead, it only loads when a command is given to draw an image. When preloading, we basically create a Hashmap and create multiple threads, one for each image to load up, and they load the image and save it in the hashmap (if i recall properly, Images are not preloaded, while ImageIcons can be, so ImageIcons are saved in the hashmap). When time to draw the ImageIcon/Image arises, the applet already has it loaded in the hashmap. So no loading time.

Basically, for the graphics thing, you can copy the code from one of the sample code in the link i gave. That's pretty much what i did. I slowly went througn it and found the purpose of each line of code, so I can get a rudimentary understanding of what's going on. Then, i basically transcribed the code over to my programs, making certain changes. There's quite a bit of things that I have little understanding about and only know what it does...

I'd be happy to help you here and there. My AIM s/n is EphemeralSerpent. My java programs are in my old comp. let me give it from the hard drive. It would be nice if we can get more java expertise involved.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
This is an awesome project. Sadly, I do not possess the tools to assist in this massive undertaking. However, I implore those that do have the skills and tools necessary to make this a success to do so. As Wobbles said, this is quite possibly the best thing to hit the Smash Community since Mew2King compiled the frame data.

Great job, Seanson and good luck. Can't wait to see the final product.

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
you should implement some sort of repeat feature (although the practicality wouldn't be very high) for the moves so you don't have to keep hitting play each time for the same move. It would be a convenience though so don't worry about it until you get the rest of the hitboxes up there. Makes me wish I had an AR :/

Seanson

Smash Ace
Well since I am unable to film and have nothing else to do, I've been working on making things better/more efficient. I will add a checkbox where if it is checked, the animation will repeat. Thanks for the idea. SHould be very easy to implement and also add to the goodness.

I'm currently bugfixing some new updates that include another dropdown box for variatiosn of moves, ie kirby's side b for in the air or on the ground. also working on preloading, loading the images when you hit the load button and not just the first time you see them (after all, what else does a load button do? :laugh: )

once i get the bonus selection box/preloading/slider bar to be visible, it should be safe to say the coding will be comepletely done! except for fancier graphics, but that isnt the same kind of coding.

Top Bottom