• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

READ BEFORE POSTING - *A GUIDE TO DISCUSSING MELEE* (Updated 21/3/07)

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
eye'm not dat dum

FastFox's Guide to posting and making threads in Melee Discussion

I guess you could say I've had it. For so long I've come to Melee Discussion only to find threads asking how to do something with a particular character, or threads that are completely useless, not to mention IQ slashing. So, I am taking it upon myself to ensure that it doesn't happen.. As much. I am aware that general rules of posting do exist, and are listed in the announcement, however I am covering posting in this specific section of SWF to ensure a cleaner, less spammed environment that we can all enjoy posting in. Please read and make sense of the following.

Making threads

Before we even begin...

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THREADS ASKING HOW TO GET INTO THE BACK ROOM. IT SAYS ON THE ****ING ROOM DESCRIPTION!

Thank you

1a. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

- The most vital rule for any type of posting. Using the search function prevents you from looking like an idiot and reposting a thread that has already been made, and can provide you with the information you need without making another thread asking for it. Using this function is common knowledge here on SWF, and you will most likely be flamed for it's lack of abuse.

1b. We can't tell you how to beat your friend

- In the Melee Discussion, members take pride in being able to help out other members on any questions and concerns they may have in regards to the game. Questions such as, "I'm having trouble unlocking Final Destination", or, "What is the best way to beat event match __?", are perfectly acceptable, as they maintain the appropriate content to pop up in Melee Discussion, however questions such as, "MAH FREND HE PLAI DAT SHEIK HOW DEW I BEET HIM HE ALWAYZ USE NEEDELZ HOW?!23", are not. To be blunt, we have absolutely no idea how your friend plays, and you will most likely receive flaming for the horrible spelling and grammar. If you have a question in regards to character match ups, go to your character's specific board and ask there. An alternative would be to consult the All Characters Match-up Chart.

1c. We have Character Specific boards

- One of the major contributing factors to Mic's collection of locked threads is the massive amount of, "I need help with this character", "How do I do this with that character", etc. In order to prevent this, please use the Character Specific boards that are available for discussing a certain character in-depth. They can be found underneath the link to get to this fine place that we call the Melee Discussion.

1d. I'm not going to tell you who you should main (Newly added)

- Ugh, must I update this every time I see something incredibly stupid? Obviously. People always ask who they should main. Why? I can't tell you, nor can anyone else. It's a personal decision, personal preference, personal everything. Shut up already.

2a. "Who's your favorite character" polls/threads

- These can get pretty darn annoying after a while, especially when one pops up every two weeks or so, only to get locked. If you really want to know someone's favorite character, message them and ask. Threads like these only provoke one-word responses, and no intelligent thought whatsoever. It is also extremely likely that you can determine someone's favorite character based on their avatar or signature. Some member's usernames even boast their favorite character. Take mine for example. Refraining from making these kinds of threads will ensure that nobody has to take four seconds of their precious internet time to post, "Falco is my fav. character".

2b. SEW I HERD U CAN UNLAWK SONIK AN TOAD

- There are twenty-six available characters in SSBM. No more, no less. Please avoid bringing up five year old rumors, as it will only get you laughed at and flamed. SWF is the most reliable source for SSBM information on the internet. If you see something on another site, verify it by browsing SWF until coming to a conclusion that it either does or does not exist. If all else fails, use the search function.

2c. I made a new tier list based on sex-appeal

- New tier lists are developed very often. They can be informative, such as a recovery tier list, character tier list, or they can be downright stupid. Please, don't waste your time coming up with a new tier list based on things that people really don't care about. They only spam up the boards and get responses like, "NAW I TINK DAT DAIZEE SHULD B AT DA TOP BCUZ SHE HAS NICE BEWBIEZ". Nobody needs that.

3a. Hey, this is new!

- If you think you've found something that is new to the game and want to tell the whole world about it, make sure to use the search function first. Making a thread with an already discovered technique or stage glitch won't get you very far now, will it?

3b. HEY YOU, OVER THERE!

- Do not make threads that target specific individuals. They are annoying, and discourage other members from posting in that thread, due to its targeting of a specific member.

4a. THIS IS MELEE DISCUSSION

- If you come here looking to talk about the weather, or another video game, you've come to the wrong place. This is Melee Discussion, and as previously stated infinate times beforehand, the purpose of this forum is to discuss this particular game, not how to get unlimited plasmas in Halo.

Posting

The Three R's of Successful Posting

Read - Read the entire post before you reply. It makes no sense to skim over something that could offer you insight in relation to the game, or help you along with playing it. Make sense of the post while reading it.

Reflect - Think of what the post means to you. How can you relate to what the original poster is trying to say? Is it appropriate to post, and can it offer others insight.

Reply - Self explanatory. Reply with your thoughts, keeping in mind the previous two steps.

1a. WUT R U STOOPID I ALREDY NEW THAT

- It saddens me to see a newer member post something that's a bit old, or has already been discovered and get flamed for it. If there is a thread made with an already discovered in-game exploit, don't flame the creator. Simply let him/her know that what they are talking about is already well-known, and give them kudos for being an active member on the boards. Nobody likes to be shoved into an oven, especially the proverbial penguin.

1b. This guy is an idiot. I'm going to let him know.

- If you disagree with something that another member says or does, don't make a big deal out of it in the public of Melee Discussion. Either private message the person about the conflict you're experiencing with them, or put in a complaint at Forum Disputes. Remember, unless he killed your mother, the conflict can still be resolved.

1c. i dint grajooayt first grayd

- When posting, make sure that you are legible. If we can't understand what you're trying to say, how do you expect us to respond to your post? Chat-speak is alright, as long as you get your message across to the other posters.

2a. My opinion is the only opinion

- If you're going to post what you think, be prepared to have some opposition to your theory. Instead of arguing, however, accept the other member's critique graciously. It may improve your game, or even further enlighten your thinking. Try not to deliberately cause the argument to escalate if one occurs. Follow the previous recommendations if an argument breaks out.

2b. So what'd you have for supper today?

- When posting, try to stay on the same topic as the thread creator's initial intention. Whilst posting in a thread, do not get carried away in another discussion with an online friend or a real friend that is currently online. The irrelevance just causes chaos in the thread and a sharp turn away from the original intent.

2c. I don't need a textbook!

- If you're planning on posting, make sure you know what you're talking about. This way you have a strong foundation and you get your point across. Nothing feels better than a successful post, am I right?

I hope this guide helps out those who.. Need it. I'd like to thank sheer stupidity for inspiring me to make it. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me. If there is anything in particular you'd like to see added to the guide, be sure to let me know.

You can contact me via e-mail at black-octane@hotmail.com, or just via Smashboards PM. My AIM is FFinsocks.

FastFox

pdk

Smash Lord
signed heartily, but i just have to say that kirby would be top tier in a sex appeal list 'cause he could turn tricks like none other

Xx GuNz xX

Smash Journeyman
1c. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

- The most vital rule for any type of posting. Using the search function prevents you from looking like an idiot and reposting a thread that has already been made, and can provide you with the information you need without making another thread asking for it. Using this function is common knowledge here on SWF, and you will most likely be flamed for it's lack of abuse.
It's about time. :p I'm sick of topics like "How do u l-cansel lawlz"
2b. So what'd you have for supper today?
Lol...

Anyway, good job, FastFox. *gives thumbs up* Really, though, this may clear up alot of wasteful threads around here. Maybe we should post this in the Brawl forum, too.

FastFox

BRoomer
Kokichi recommended a Brawl template too. I agreed to do it after I recover from this one. After all, the Brawl rooms are a cesspool.

Seanson

Smash Ace
Now there is no excuse to have bad posts. Good work, all areas covered. We could have used this... years ago! (even though I wasnt around back then) Or have bad posts/threads only been a more recent thing?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Nope, there have always been bad posts and threads. Since the dawn of the internet, wide-eyed noobies have spake thusly: "f;lawkehtasshgahaho lol"

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
This thread won't really help much, people act stupid out of their own wishes :lick:

Make a product idiot-proof, and they'll make a better idiot.
QFT and sigged =D
But this list will certainly decrease the amount of stupid threads, cause there are some smart noobs =P

Razed

Smash Ace
Awesome! Now let's all pray that the newbies actually read it.

By the way, I think you should have a little section on "what the topic of the thread is". I mean that people should actually put the topic in the title of their posts. On page one at the moment there's a thread called "just wondering....". They should at least say what he's wondering about. Alot of people write it that way to make members curious as to what they wonder, but I find it kinda dumb =X

Anyway, thanks man!

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
no i was kidding i wanted to make more ppl come here and they could understand better or am i kidding???

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
ummm...even if ur a smash master...why would u make a thread of how to make a thread???
ummm...thats all... sry i will edit later i think
The point of this thread is mostly to cut down on the spam that keeps popping up in places like melee discussion. If he explains the basic etiquette and it gets put in a place where everyone can see it, week get less trolls and n00bs and better topics overall. trust me, this was sorely needed here(and is also sorely needed in brawl discussion).

Awesome job fastfox. great read.

Edit now dude. This thread is the result of your very existence.
LOL. QFT, ThatGuy.

pdk

Smash Lord
Kokichi recommended a Brawl template too. I agreed to do it after I recover from this one. After all, the Brawl rooms are a cesspool.
make sure to include ******** and uninformed comparisons to other fighting games, i've seen my fair share of those

FastFox

BRoomer
Alright guys. It's 1:41 AM here, and I'm about to get some sleep. I'll update the guide with your suggestions tomorrow.

Pray for sticky -_-

darkatma

Smash Hero
This needs to be stickied =]

Problem is, it needs to be stickied to the front page, or actually, when people type in smashboards into their browser smashboards should automatically link them to this thread first! then they can actually post after agreeing to the terms :p
posting etiquette =]

cF=)

Smash Lord
This tutorial's a waste of bandwidth. Majority of people not searching for "already made" threads and making topics about "which character's move..." will neither read stickies.

Fail.

FastFox

BRoomer
Take it up with Kokichi. I pitched the idea to him, so it's most likely he stickied it. If you have a problem then go complain to someone who can do something about it.

cF=)

Smash Lord
A problem ?

Hey, I just stated the obvious... making a tutorial on how to behave on an online forum won't stop spam, it'll just make you a bit more respected by people who cares.

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
I think you have the wrong forum...:ohwell:
I don't. Joel asked me if we had 26 characters and I said yes, but then I later saw on my game file that its actually 25, and Joel wasn't online so I figured just making a post here would be the best way to make him aware since he's clearly stalking his own thread ;)

GRATZ ONZ TEH STICKYLESZ LOLAODLAODL

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
finally. also, you can usse my sig in your guide if you want. i <3 my new sig.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
YES!!! my name is even on my sig. too bad it's too big for my sig :/

Top Bottom