• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

different fightin approaches against marth

nub?

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I just recently went to a mini smashfest this past week and I realized i need help! (lol) Well one of the players there mained a pretty mean marth and i just could not come up with any strategies at the moment to defeat him. I like using a ton of DJC's and RDJC's with my yoshi as a means to setting up my combos and such but i just couldn't do it with this guy. :( All his marth would do is shield all my DJC's and such and shield grab me to ruin my whole flow, allowing him to do combos himself (**** his range!). Can anyone help me with other approaches or strategies to taking out a marth? Thanks

technomancer

Smash Champion
Haha, quit getting shield-grabbed! Tickle him with back airs and the like, and make him be aggressive against you.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Marth you say? Try a defensive game to make him approach you, instead of allowing him to hide behind his giant sword. Then mess up his spacing. Try alot of eggs and sidesteps, then he's all lagged up and ready for another hit. Also, use some neutral-b to throw off his shieldgrabbering.

nub?

Smash Rookie
haha thx for the advice. i think that was another one of my problems, i was being more agressive and offensive towards him than not. :)

technomancer

Smash Champion
I've never had too much trouble going aggressive against Marth, I think that's a good way to pressure him, but then again, I don't play any good Marths. F-smash is very good, I was using that against my friend Darrel alot today.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: There is always one surefire way to beat Marth (unless you're Fox).

Regardless of which character you are, you can always beat Marth by baiting out a move that isn't one of the follwing: jab, up tilt, down tilt, grab, neutral air.

So, by approaching just enough to get into his range and then switching up to a defensive stance, you can start to coax moves out of Marth. The big one you wanna look for is forward smash. Once he tosses that out, it should be a free combo, to be perfectly honest. And since Yoshi has his super cool DJ, he can absorb forward airs, too, which is the one move many other characters fear. If you can not only neutralize his forward air, but also punish him for using it, you'll do the equivalent of consistently powershielding a Falco's lasers. They've lost a means of approach...or, at least, they'll be wary when trying to use it.

And Bringer always says dash attack in this matchup, and I think he's right. As long as Marth's in the air, dash attack is almost always a sure thing. The least you'll do is trade, and that's never a bad thing in this matchup. Yoshi's survivability greatly overshadows that of Marth, so you can use the pressure of trading blows as a tactic to get into his head.

If he's trying to put ground pressure on you, lightshield. I was actually actively using lightshielding in tourney today and it helped me out a great deal. It's a good way to reset and get yourself some breathing room, but you guys already knew that. ^_^

P.S. - Down air combos into forward smash tip at 60%. It's pretty gay. Look out for it. Don't get hit.

P.P.S. - Forward smash is your friend. I've won tourney matches against Marth using only forward smash and down tilt. It's pretty amazing.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yeah, I just got back from a tourney today.

Forward smash >>> Marth. I think I took one kid's entire first stock on Fountain of Dreams with just forward smash and crouch cancel. Not that he was good, but no average Marth should be giving you problems if you can use your forward smash well.

nub?

Smash Rookie
wow nice thanks for the great info shiri, it's much appreciated :) I love the way you play with your yoshi too btw ;) there's another mini smashfest comin up so ill be sure to pwn the marth up!

technomancer

Smash Champion
I got in some experience against Marth this weekend, non-tournament.

Shiri is right about everything! I also found out that trying to do quick DjCs and be sneaky and do chip damage doesn't work. Just use your power moves, like forward air, dtilt, fsmash, usmash, and egg, and don't get too hyper on your recovery unless you're at high %s; you'll go through most fsmashes.

Oh and you can punish up-tilt combo Marths with CC->downsmash or Wavedownsmash if they miss.

Hal-Yur-Azn-Pal

Smash Apprentice
What ever the Marth tries to come at you with just wavedash away and charge up an f-smash. It's like the anti-marth maneuver. Also your d-tilt can kill at like 15% if you know how to use it right.

training_master(KVF)

Smash Journeyman
if they DI wrong, you can get easy 70%, fair, utilt, usmash, fulljump bair, uair... they have to DI to your back after the usmash if I remember right, worth a try anyway.... works sometimes against my friends....

Top Bottom