• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
MELBOURNE MELEE TOURNAMENTS

2010 SEASON

Stage XXXII - March 6
Stage XXXIII - April 3
Stage XXXIV - May 1
Stage XXXV - June 5
Stage XXXVI - July 3
Stage XXXVII - August 7
Stage XXXVIII - September 4
Stage XXXIX - October 2
Stage XL - November 6

The 2010 season has concluded. The 2011 season will commece likely in February and March. News will be posted as it comes.

New to the scene?
If you're new to the tournament scene here is a couple of frequent Q&A's:
"Is this for pros only?" - The tournaments are open for everybody. The skill range is diverse, so don't be discouraged from attending. Not everyone that comes to the tournaments are competitive. Most are friendly and welcoming of new people. A lot of us are also a fair lot more outgoing than your average gamer. We are a community-based legion of Smash Brothers.
"What is the average age of a Smasher?" - Smashers are your typical gamer age. Those that come to the tournaments are between 14 and 25 years old. Bring a friend. Or two.
"Who can I call if I need help?" - CAO! On 0466352145.

MAJOR TOURNAMENT RESULTS

Here is a list of the major national tournaments Melbourne has hosted, along with the top placing singles entrants for Melee:

@M, The University of Melbourne, Carlton (February 14, 2005) - 26 entrants
1st. Captain Jack (Kyoto, Japan)
SEAT, Kingston Arts Centre, Moorabbin (September 30, 2005) - 36 entrants
1st. Emily (Melbourne, VIC)
SEAT2, Kingston Arts Centre, Moorabbin (December 10, 2005) - 34 entrants
1st. Emily (Melbourne, VIC)
Comrades of the Anfology, Lower Plenty (January 27, 2007) - 51 entrants
1st. Bringer (Perth, WA)
Comrades 2, La Trobe University, Bundoora (June 9, 2007) - 48 entrants
1st. SephirothKen (Orange County, California USA)
Rambo [Melee, Brawl], University of Melbourne, Parkville (April 26, 2008) - 62 entrants
1st. CAOTIC (Melbourne, VIC)
1st. Kulla (Sydney, NSW)
Rocky [Melee, Brawl], Victoria Hotel, Melbourne (October 10-11, 2009) - 103 entrants
1st. Kas (Brisbane, QLD)
1st. Corpsecreate (Perth, WA)
Robocop [Melee, Brawl], CQ, Melbourne (October 1-3, 2010) - 80 entrants
1st. Mew2King (New Jersey, USA)
1st. Mew2King (New Jersey, USA)

See you next event

ZTV

Smash Apprentice
Seeing as I hope to get back into the Smash scene, yet again -- And seeing as I'm not sick from medication any more, AND if I can work it into my University schedule... I'm up for it. /run-on sentence of the day

So this is the new Melbourne thread, eh? Nice if it is.

Also, when will rough region/state/whichever ranks be decided? <_<

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Upon reading this thread I think I achieved Nirvana. But I soon returned when I realised that if I was in Nirvana then I'd have to miss these Triweeklies.

This will be the perfect opportunity for me to put myself in the Melbourne Smash scene, even though I'm 2 hours away.

This idea is hot. Hot like phire.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I plan on rotating the venue for every triweekly, so that people in different areas can have one thats closer to them at some point. Shaz recommended that we make these regular tournaments with a $5 entry fee just so that people can learn to play in competitive conditions too. Thoughts? I'm all for it but I don't mind as long as people turn up for fun and games. =)

MikulOnIce85

Smash Ace
It's fine by me Cao, just as long as everyone has fun playing smash. Also, i'm heading to Gloth's tonight, to get my gear and he said that i could bring people to his house too. So do come for a bit of smash, but expect to have to go home, rather than spend the night there, but i'll leave it to him to confirm this, and that people can come to his house.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Yeah, I think the $5 entry thing would be great for triweeklies run like tournaments. It'd give people more incentive to a) come more frequently, and b) get better in general.

karadoc

Smash Rookie
If you are doing tri-weeklies, I think you should only do the $5 thing once per week. It's a good idea for getting people use to competitive play and all of that, but it's discouraging for newcomers. Things are more attractive when they are free. Paying $5 to lose a battle or two at Smash Bros doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
once every 3 weeks? sounds... pointless... wouldnt you lose all the skill you got after 3 weeks? it should be once a fortnight at least :D
so whats all this about $5 fee? what will it be for?

wait, is this once every 3 weeks tournaments with $5 entry fees? in other words, they're'll be more meets that once every 3 weeks? and i can beat noobs and get money? and give money to pros? and annoy people?

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
It's a meet that is treated tournament style so people would get more used to the competitive scene. Money encourages them to improve, so that they can win some greens.

And besides, you have no skill, so you won't have to worry about losing any.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
*turns on anti-logic device*
thanks for the encouragement?

*turns off anti logic device*
:cry:

ehhh... well... at least... i'm... uhhh... man i need help

NG7

Smash Lord
couple things i can think of for you oni

1) No more standing there and charging smash attacks.
2) No more running up and spin-attacking.
3) No more standing waiting with your shield up for shield grab.
4) More projectiles.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
couple things i can think of for you oni

1) No more standing there and charging smash attacks.
2) No more running up and spin-attacking.
3) No more standing waiting with your shield up for shield grab.
4) More projectiles.
yeah, i figured that out after... before. i'll be tons better at the next meet. its not very easy to think when you can barely move.

besides, i have this tendency to lose bad habits (such as the numbered suggestions) after not playing smash for while. then i can clear my mind and... yeah... develop more bad habits

im putting the blame on falco... what a prick...

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
You guys are all being gooses. The idea is there's a tournament every 3 weeks. It obviously wont go all day. No tournament does here in Australia....even when the teams are added in it still wont run all day. The newcomers wont necessarily need to pay to play in the tournament right away. They can watch and only play in friendly matches in the rest of the time before and after the tournament.
-Oni: No skill wont deplete. The idea is to go home, think of what made you lose, come up with a strategy to beat it, practise that with friends or on your own whatever and come back and implement it next tourney that comes around. Your problem btw with Falco can be solved by standing still if you're using Link...his shield can protect you fairly well. Otherwise stop rolling back and forth a few times and hookshotting.....it fails miserably. Practise your tech enough to make Link faster so you can attack better.
-GTR: Our money is not really green. The money you'd look at to enter the tourney is more a purple pinky colour
-LMX: Roy sucks don't use him lol :)

Jaz

Smash Ace
What a good idea,
if this keeps happening i can only see victoria getting better
i like the sound of coaching and especially the pressure training, if all goes well we'll see most of your guys in the top ten placings in may ^_^
and now the australian thread is for everyone XD

karadoc

Smash Rookie
I'm feel kind of silly now...
Once every three weeks does sound much more manageable than three times a week. But even so, this confusion has alerted me to another problem with our language. Apparently, biannual can usually means "twice every year", but can also mean "once every two years". It seems me me that it should always mean "every two years", and semiannual would be once every half year (ie, twice per year).

(I can almost hear people saying "whatever" before I even post this...)

Anyway, a pseudo tournament once every three weeks sounds alright to me. If turns out something like what Cronos_Rainbow described then it should be good for both newcomers and veterans. (and yes, the only "green" money in Australia is the $100 note...)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
February 24, 2007
March 17, 2007
April 7, 2007
April 28, 2007
May 19, 2007

I guess I can put up these tentative dates for now, if theres any problems with the dates in the future, they can be easily changed, but for now these tournaments will be running once every 3 weeks starting from the 24th of February. Check the first post for more info closer to the date!

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Awesome, as far as I know those dates are incredibly good for me... I'll pencil them in as tentative dates just in case they do change though.

Venzael

Smash Rookie
Sounds good!
Well, whenever I can go, I'll go. Maybe I'll bring a few friends, too.
You can be sure of this newb showing for you to beat up xP

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmm, 24th will be a Saturday, I'm busy until 2pm on Satdays, but I'd try to make it after if it goes all day :3

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Hey Venzael, never seen you on these boards before! So, welcome! Also welcome to Karadoc, I go to Melbourne Univ. too, so maybe when school starts we can Smash somehow in between classes LOL. And hello Citrussed! :)

And yay for more TM appearances! <3

PS - they are all Saturdays XD ... unless people want Sunday Triweeklies, I'm open to changes =)

EDIT - THE FIRST POST IS UPDATED WITH ALL INFO EXCEPT THE LOCATION (TBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom