• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Guide Links Thread (Version 2.0)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
As you know, the Official Everything Thread is outdated. For this reason, I have requested to construct a brand new one and have recieved permission to do so. However, for something to be up to date, we must have guides that are also up to date. The Character Links Thread is not up to date. To make sure we have nothing but new stuff in the new Official Everything Thread, I have taken it upon myself to make a brand spanking new Character Links Thread.

This massive project is coming along slowly but I shall see this through to the end. Below you will find the most recent character guides I could find. Don't be a stranger though. If you know about a guide that is better than one posted then by all means, post the link. Now let's get started.

Character Guide Links Thread (Version 1.0)

Character Guide Links Thread: Created by Slayer Link. So it isn't really called Character Guide Links Thread (Version 1.0) but that is what I am calling it so we can distinguish among the two. It contains several guides but they are mostly out-dated (hence why I made this thread). Check it out anyway. You'll notice that mine is a lot better.:p - Posted 2/20/04 , Updated 5/21/04

The Tier List

Tier List: Posted by Mic_128, constructed by the Smash BRoomers. This is the 2006-2007 Tier List. The tier list is a ranking system for the tournament scene. A character's position on the list is based on their metagame. It is also split into five groupings (Top, High, Middle, Low, Bottom) to help you get a better understanding about their effectiveness without you needing to know their exact position. These groups are not done out of order though, since Mario is higher than Ganondorf on the tier list, he is more effective despite then both being grouped in the Middle Tier.

Top Tier:

Fox
Falco

High Tier:

Sheik
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier:

Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

Low Tier:

Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier:

Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

Now that that is all out of the way, let's get to the guides themselves. I don't know if I could have made these guides easier to find so don't complain that you can't find a Zelda guide when they have a picture, name, and position on the tier list all in colorful ink. Open your eyes for once. Now if there are mistakes, tell me.

Bowser - Bottom Tier - #23

In Bowser's Defense Essay: This thread was created by one of the newer moderaters, Gimpyfish62. He compiled this essay to defend Bowser's supposed "inferiority" and it also doubles as a FAQ. Pretty good if you ask me. Worth a read if you want to start practicing or getting better with the King of the Koopas. - Posted 12/1/05 , Updated 12/12/05

Rating:

Captain Falcon - Middle Tier - #6

Competitive Captain Falcon Guide: This guide was made by AngeloBangelo and it is very in-depth. This is quite possibly the best Captain Falcon Guide out there. If you are having trouble with Captain Falcon the I urge you to check this guide out. It is also the most recent C. Falcon guide. - Posted 7/26/05 , Updated 1/13/06

Rating:

Doctor Mario - Middle Tier - #9

Differences between Dr. Mario and Mario: Created by Dougfunny. There is pretty much nothing to look forward to in the first post but as you read, you learn the differences between the two. Since it is in the Dr. Mario Room, people will be more in favor of Dr. Mario. Feel free to voice your opinion there. - Posted 7/26/06 , Updated Never

Rating: None

"Not to be taken Orally" Doc Guide: Created by Cyphus. If you want to know more about Dr. Mario than there is no place better to look than here. This is a very in-depth and well constructed guide on the good doctor. As my second main, I can gurantee you that this guide will improve your game. - Posted 9/16/05 , Updated 1/18/07

Rating:

The Man In Garb (FAQ): Created by Dr. Capsule. This is slightly more outdated and less in-depth but it is still really good. There may be a few things in there worth reading. Give it a look through. - Posted 9/13/04 , Updated 12/22/04

Donkey Kong - Low Tier - #15

DK Guide: Created by GanondoftheXXVI. This guide has good depth. It isn't as detailed as the Doc guides but trust me, it still carries heavy depth. If you are looking for improvment with the big DK then check this thread out. Posted 8/3/04 , Updated 1/13/06

DK Throw Mini-Guide: Created by Brahma. This guide covers the amazing strategies surrounding DK's unique throwing techniques. Worth a read if you want to pull off some stylish throws. Posted 11/14/05 , Updated 1/28/06

Falco - Top Tier - #2

The Marvelous Falco Guide: Created by bornfidelity.com. Very nice Falco guide with good depth. If you are looking on improving the marvelous blue bird than check this guide out. It is worth your time if you enjoy using high tier characters. - Posted 8/10/05 , Updated 7/23/06

Rating:

The Falco Shine Guide: Created by NJzFinest. Having trouble with shine techniques? Check this very useful guide out if that's the case. Noobs and pros alike will enjoy reading this. - Posted 9/11/05 , Updated 9/3/06

Rating:

Falco Guide Links: Created by Sinz. Hey look! A link to a thread with links to other threads! If you are still having trouble then look at one of these guides. - Posted 3/30/06 , Updated 9/9/06

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

Fox - Top Tier - #1

Fox Movement Tricks Guide: Created by Dalal. It is very in-depth and gives you a better understanding of the advanced techniques you can pull off with Fox. If you are looking to improve your competitive game then this is a definite must read. - Posted 12/10/05 , Updated 9/4/06

Rating:

Guides to the Laser Fox: Created by Sinz. Wow! More links to other guides! Check this out if you feel like a little bit of variety. - Posted 1/25/06 , Updated 4/8/06

Rating:

Complete Guide to Fox McCloud: Created by a valued Smash BRoomer, CunningKitsune. If you ever wondered what the definition of depth was, then the second you click on that link, you will discover what it is. There is a reason this guy is a Smash BRoomer... - Posted 4/18/04 , Updated 5/18/06

Rating:

The Fox Shine Guide: Created by NJzFinest. Need to brush up on your shine techniques with Fox? Check this guide. It is fairly simple but very helpful. - Posted 3/19/06 , Updated 9/3/06

Rating:

Mr. Game and Watch - Bottom Tier - #21

Super Game and Watch Guide: Created by footnbaseball. It is a small guide but it is still one. Check it out if you want to brush up on the underrated old-school character. - Posted 6/3/04 , Updated 7/16/04

Ganondorf - Middle Tier - #12

Ganondorf Chaingrabbing Guide: Created by Magus420. This is a guide on how to chaingrab with Ganondorf (duh). It is pretty in-depth for just one specific technique. It is also very colorful. Why is that a good thing? Just cause. - Posted 9/26/06 , Updated 1/15/07

Path of the Gerudo King: Created by Thomas Tipman. Also colorful (although I love blue more than brown but that is besides the point). This is a full guide on Ganon. It has great depth and is very good. Check it out. - Posted 11/20/05 , Updated 6/22/06

Rating:

How to wield the Triforce of Power: Created by Shin Ganondorf. Another very well made guide. Looks like there are several techniques Ganon can use after all huh? Check it out. - Posted 2/12/04 , Updated 1/16/06

Rating:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

Marth - High Tier - #4

Crater12's Marth Guide: Created by Crater12 (gamefaqs.com), posted by Quicksilver326. Twas in-depth indeed. It surprises me that nobody has written a Marth FAQ or Guide since there seems to be so many Marth mains out there. Check it out if you want to improve your sword dancing. - Posted 9/19/05 , Updated 8/24/06

Mewtwo - Bottom Tier - #26

The Ameteur's Almighty: Created by quak. It has good depth and is apparently not complete according to the creator. Look forward to more info and until then, check out the current info. - Posted 1/18/07 , Updated 2/2/07

Mewtwo Guide: Created by NJE789. It has fair depth and is definitely worth checking out if you want to be a master with the pokemon physic. Probably not the best guide around but definitely worth checking. - Posted 2/17/04 , Updated 2/24/04

Ness - Bottom Tier - #22

Ness Super Guide: Created by annoying1359, Simna ibn Sind, and Earthbound360. DEPTH! DEPTH! DEPTH! This guide is awesome is what I am trying to say. If you are a Ness main then this guide is worth every bit of your training time. Look at it! - Posted 1/7/07 , Updated 2/3/07

Rating:

Guide to PK Thunder: Created by Simna ibn Sind, a new moderater and Ness Master. Tells all there is to know about PK Thunder. Worth a look. - Posted 12/11/04 , Updated 6/28/05

Rating:

Nesstastic Guide: Created by NESSBOUNDER. Tis a nice guide with good depth. Not the deepest or newest one at there though. - Posted 6/23/04 , Updated 4/22/05

Rating:

Peach - High Tier - #5

Newbie Peach Training Guide: Created by Fieari. Tis a nice guide and excellent for all of you who want to master this surprisingly lethal princess. - Posted 8/12/04 , Updated 8/12/04 (Yeah, same day...)

Rating:

The Extensive Turnip Guide: Created by Quetzalcoatl. A guide to turnips... Yeah. Very extensive information on a single move so you know it must be worth reading. - Posted 7/22/06 , Updated 7/25/06

Float FAQ: Created by SuperDoodleMan. A guide to the float ability. Wow! That chick can fly! - Posted 11/21/03 , Updated Never

Pichu - Bottom Tier - #25​

How to Hatch a Healthy and Taunty Pichu: Created by NGCXX, a SBRoomer. This is a very detailed and in-depth guide about the tiny electric rat. Who knew the lightest character in the game could be such a masterful fighter? - Posted 12/17/05 , Updated 2/10/07

Rating:

The Pichu Paradigm: Created by T0MMY. Yet another very detailed guide on Pichu. Whatever you didn't see in the last guide you will more than likely see in this guide. - Posted 6/4/06 , Updated 2/9/07

Rating:

Pikachu - Low Tier - #18

Pikachu Guide: Created by pictish freak, a SBRoomer. Very in-depth and great guide for Pika. Definitely worth looking at for masters and noobs alike. - Posted 7/18/04 , Updated 7/19/04

Rating:

Roy - Low Tier - #16

Roy FAQ: Created by Rebel581. Tis a nice and in-depth guide indeed (sorry, felt a bit colonial there for a second...). Anyway, yeah it is very nice and in-depth so check it out. - Posted 5/21/05 , Updated 9/15/05

Rating:

Samus - Middle Tier - #8

Guide to Samus: Created by Aftermath. Two guides in one. You have the choice between the original and a better version of the original. Not too shaby huh? As for the guide itself, it looks very nice and is in-depth. Check it out! - Posted 7/2/04 , Updated 11/15/06

Rating:

Shiek - High Tier - #3

Guide to Playing Shiek: Created by Plairnkk. Yes! A nice and in-depth guide for the ninja Shiek. Check this out if you want to be a master player. - Posted 12/8/06 , Updated 1/12/07

Rating:

Yoshi - Bottom Tier - #19​

Project Y.O.S.H.I.: Created by Shiri. A guide to smashing with the green dinosaur we all know and love. It is very in-depth and has valuable information. Check it out. - Posted 5/26/06 , Updated 11/6/06

How to Hatch a Healthy Yoshi: Created by rmusgrave. A very nice and in-depth guide on Yoshi. Worth your time if you want to become a powerful Yoshi main. - Posted 7/14/05 , Updated 3/1/06

Rating:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

Ice Climbers - Middle Tier - #7

Climbing Their Way to the Top: Created by Undrdog. This is a guide for the only double team characters in the game. Popo and Nana will respect you more if you use them better. Check this out if you feel like being a cold competitive player. - Posted 2/22/05 , Updated 7/11/05

Guide to Desynching: Created by exarch. Want to learn how to REALLY pull off some sick combos with the IC? Check this out to learn all there is to know about desynching. Comboing opponents was never colder... - Posted 8/5/05 , Updated 7/27/06

Jigglypuff - Middle Tier - #10

Jigglypuff 101: Created by RPK. Who knew the singing wonder could pull off so many amazing feats? Learn to rest, sing, and rollout like a pro in this advanced guide. - Posted 4/23/06 , Updated 9/7/06

Kirby - Bottom Tier - #24

The Competitive Kirby: Created by T!MmY. I love how this guide was constructed. It seems very official and it is in-depth. Very beautiful and definitely worth checking out. - Posted 12/30/05 , Updated 12/27/06

The Puffball From Popstar: Created by nitro-blazer. Need info on Kirby? This is the place to check. It contains a lot more depth and is more recent than the other one. Its construction is different however. I perfer the other's style but this one contains more info which is what counts and that is all my opinion anyway. - Posted 10/6/05 , Updated 2/5/07

Link - Low Tier - #13

The Link Forums lack creativity. All the guides are called "x member's guide" so I am just going to call them that and omit the "created by" intro to each summary.

Garde's Guide: Pretty in-depth. Definitely worth a read if you are a Link main. - Posted 9/25/03 , Updated 5/6/04

Rating:

8000's Guide: Also an in-depth guide but slightly more recent. Check it out. - Posted 9/20/05 , Updated 11/9/05

Rating:

Lord HDL's Guide: Lord HDL is a SBRoomer so you know his guide has to be good. And the fact is, it is. This is the most structured, detailed, and in-depth guide in the Link Forums. - Posted 5/15/05 , Updated 9/28/05

Rating:

Luigi - Low Tier - #14

Three Moves: Created by Duke. It is a short summary about three of Luigi's moves that are somewhat overrated. It is mainly to prevent repetitive topics about these moves. - Posted 2/9/06 , Updated 2/17/06

Luigi Guide/FAQ: Created by TobiasXK. Very nice guide for the man in green. Worth looking at if you want to get really good with the wavedashing master, Luigi. - Posted 6/18/06 , Updated 6/18/06 (Yeah, on the same day...)

Mario - Middle Tier - #11

Guide to Italian Plumbing: Created by maelstrom218. It is completely awesome! Although I could be a little bias... But in all seriousness, it is a very well constructed guide and is in-depth. Definitely worth your time if you want to master The Great Gonzales. It is probably worth looking at for all of you without a Mario main as well. He makes a great secondary or main since he is the most well-rounded character around. - Posted 9/19/05 , Updated Never

Young Link - Low Tier - #17

Hookshot Guide: Created by SmashMac. A nice guide on the many techniques with the hookshot or Forward B if you are of a shortening mind. Worth checking out. - Posted 10/24/06 , Updated 1/3/07

Rating:

Bomb's Away! Created by NJzFinest. Learn advanced techniques that revolve around Y. Link's bomb or Down B. Check it out! - Posted 7/24/06 , Updated 10/28/06

Rating:

The Kokiri Konqueror: Created by Buzz. Links, links, and more links. Check out the guide by clicking on the link provided. The lazy son of a gun decided not to copy/paste but don't hold it against him. Just check the guide out for youself. - Posted 11/15/05 , Updated 11/4/06

Rating:

Zelda - Bottom Tier - #20

Guide to Wielding the REAL Triforce of Wisdom: Created by DaRkNeSsOfHeArT. Poll attached so you can voice your opinion. I voted for good myself. And it is good. It has good depth and is structured well. - Posted 11/16/04 , Updated 4/5/05

Credits​

Character Guide Links Thread

- This guide constructed by me
- Original guide created by Slayer Link
- Character pictures provided by SWF's avatar choices
- Tier List made by SBRoomers and Mic_128
- Authorization to create a new Official Everything Thread (causing this thread to be indirectly created) by Mic_128
- Authorization for the massive project (causing this thread to be indirectly created) by McFox
- Idea to improve the Official Everything Thread (which gave me the idea and indirectly caused this thread's creation) by Marthsword

Guide Creators

- Gimpyfish62
- AngeloBangelo
- Dougfunny
- Cyphus
- Dr. Capsule
- GanondoftheXXVI
- Brahma
- bornfidelity.com
- NJzFinest (x3)
- Sinz (x2)
- Dalal
- CunningKitsune
- footnbaseball
- Magus420
- Thomas Tipman
- Shin Ganondorf
- Quicksilver326 (Crater12)
- quak
- NJE789
- annoying1359
- Simna ibn Sind (x2)
- NESSBOUNDER
- Fieari
- Quetzalcoatl
- SuperDoodleMan
- NGCXX
- T0MMY
- pictish freak
- Rebel581
- Aftermath
- Plairnkk
- Shiri
- rmusgrave
- Undrdog
- exarch
- RPK
- T!MmY
- nitro-blazer
- Garde
- Lord HDL
- Duke
- TobiasXK
- maelstrom218
- SmashMac
- Buzz
- DaRkNeSsOfHeArT
- Earthbound360
- thesage

Well, there you go. Now I didn't TRULY look at all of these guides. Come on! I have a life to balance with my free time. So opinions on guides may vary whether they be in-depth or not. If I made a mistake (this was hard to throw together, mistakes happen) then please point them out and I will correct them. If you have any guides you would like to see up here then feel free to point me in its direction.

I hope this thread helped you guys out.

MasterMatt

Smash Journeyman
i agree with your ratings on the characters except for gannondorf, he is really good if you know how to combine his pure power with combos

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
This is a rating of the guides that were written in the Character Specific forums, not the characters themselves.
Nice work, Uncle Kenny, maybe incorporate this into your n00b guide somehow?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
He wasn't rating the characters he was rating the guides... Very good man i think this should be sticked as it is very helpful :) that is one of the best reads in a while very informative and will stop a lot of the questions..

STICKY THIS

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Actually I copy/pasted actual ratings on the threads themselves.

If you look at the rated threads then you will notice that they have those ratings.

I can always add a personal rating underneath the actual rating though.

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
That would probably be helpful.
The ratings next to threads are sometimes misleading, like how the joke thread that got closed explaining the Samus infinite (Windmill of Fury) had a five star rating.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I will add personal ratings later on. First I have to organize the new Official Everything Thread and a massive project that pertains to that thread. It will be a while before I can come back and critic the various guides.

I think I will rate them in the Summer when I have more time to if you guys don't mind the wait. Until then, check out the guides for yourselves and feel free to add your suggestions or opinions here.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
What's with the wacky order?

IMO it should be Top Tier to Bottom Tier

Or Bottom to Top if you want to give poor Mewtwo a chance

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
It is in the order the Character Specific Melee Rooms are in.

Too late to change it now. Besides, it shouldn't be THAT difficult to find what character you are looking for.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Ermm.. Yoshi to Ice Climbers?

I think you need to relearn your alphabet, lol

All I got out of the Doc vs. Mario thread was a debate about what certain dimensions mean

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Well then they are in the order of the Melee Rooms.

I guess I could always take that one off the list but I am busy making the new Official Everything Thread. Time consumption at its greatest...

Edit: Oh wait, I see, I copy/pasted wrong. Oh well...

I saved it all on word and then copy/pasted it here.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Earthbound 360 should get some credit for the Ness guide, considering her wrote almost all of it. Simna should be mentioned as well because he helped Eb360 and annoying A LOT.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I can't find a Zelda guide.

Great job. Hopefully this will help a lot of members who are new to the forums, new to character X, or those who are too lazy to look up guides in the character specific (Like myself).

This guide also reminded my it's time for an update on my own guide. A relatively large one at that.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Yay I got some credit! You went a lot farther than I did when creating this, mine didn't have pictures. This is a great job Kenny.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
YES! my name is on there TWICE.

also, my guide as been rated, like five times now.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The Competitive Kirby: Created by T!MmY. I love how this guide was constructed. It seems very official and it is in-depth. Very beautiful and definitely worth checking out. - Posted 12/30/05 , Updated 12/27/06
Thanks, I put a lot of time and work into that. I also want to thank you for putting together this great character guide listing.

You mentioned that Nitro's guide is more in-depth and had more info. If you could, let me know what you'd like to see in my guide so I can include it in my next update.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I'd love to help but I am a bit pre-occupied with the Collaboration Project. Once I am done with the project I will come back to this thread and give a personal opinion on each guide. I didn't have enough time to truly look over each guide so I just went by frame and quantity.

The length of a guide shouldn't influence the helpfullness of it but I needed to devote the majority of my time to the project. No worries though, true judgements will be made on the guides sometime this Summer and I will edit this thing as I see fit.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
What happened to alphabetizing (just a minor quirk)? You get to Roy, and then we're suddenly back to Luigi. :confused:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Once I am done with the project I will come back to this thread and give a personal opinion on each guide. I didn't have enough time to truly look over each guide so I just went by frame and quantity.
Okay, I thought you had noticed things left out and I was wondering what those could possibly be.
And reading all the guides certainly would take a lot of time. o_o

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Hmm...this isnt stickied.... someobdy sticy this so i will get the famousness (what's the word for it?) i deserve!

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
What happened to alphabetizing (just a minor quirk)? You get to Roy, and then we're suddenly back to Luigi. :confused:
Screwed up while copying from Word. The order shouldn't matter as I have bolded, colored, and centered the names on top of adding a picture of the character.

Hmm...this isnt stickied.... someobdy sticy this so i will get the famousness (what's the word for it?) i deserve!
It isn't stickied because the link is in the Official Everything Thread which is a sticky.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Could I get some credit for the Ness super guide? I have a pretty huge section...

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Also, there are many guides that have been missed because they aren't stickied for many characters, like Peach's Turnip Guide, for example.

MarioNathanSmasher

Smash Rookie
Can I just remind everyone of the incredible performance of aMSa's Red Yoshi against Mew2King? That is a prime example of how a low tier character can rise through the ranks out of nowhere in the right hands.

Top Bottom