• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official PAL Tier List (Melee)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
For a long explanation about how this list was formed, read the next post.

Sheik
Falco
Fox
Marth
Peach

Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario

Luigi
Link
Yoshi
Roy
Donkey Kong
Pikachu

Young Link
Mr. Game & Watch
Zelda
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Explanation:

I’ve heard many sounds about making a PAL tier list in the past few years, since there are some clear differences between not only the NTSC and PAL version, but also their respective communities. With SSBM coming closer and closer to its end, I felt this was the time to make a true PAL tier list. Dutch moderator Nihonjin put me in charge of organising it (he did help me out with deciding on a few things though), so here is what I did and why.

I felt I shouldn’t decide who got to vote for every country by myself. First of all, because I don’t know every smasher in every scene that well. Secondly, because one person shouldn’t decide something like that. So I have put major smashers, who know their own community well and have proven to be intelligent debaters and good players, in charge of deciding the voters of their own country.

Australia: Cronos_Rainbow
France + Italia: Joanna Dark
Sweden + Norway: Helios
The Netherlands: Marc
The UK: The_Doug

Thank you!

In order to prevent empty voting, I asked them to select players who were both capable of stating their reasoning behind their votes and who are respected smashers, so most of them have often ranked well within and outside their own countries. I also did this to get about 20 voters, because I thought a 5-man panel would be too elitist.

The voters were:

Australia:
Bringer
cats
Cronos_Rainbow

France:
Bossofsmash
Doraki
Joanna Dark
Poilon

Italy:
Aldwyn
Seretur

Norway:
Kriz
Masamune

Sweden:
Captain Jadde
Ek
Helios
Smash Alex

The Netherlands:
Dave
Ivo
Marc
Remen

The United Kingdom:
Doug
Euan
Qwester

This makes a total of 22 players. A few more people were approached, but they simply couldn’t make the vote or have been substituted. Also note there is a pretty good voting balance between countries. Getting all these people together to vote was difficult, so I doubt there’ll be another PAL tier list.

As for the break up, it soon became clear that the first three tiers were pretty obvious, but after that it became quite vague. Therefore, we agreed to split the list up into only four tiers. Basically, the first and second tier represent characters that are considered tournament viable, while the third and fourth tier represent characters suited for low tier tournaments.

That about sums it up. If there are any questions, I’d be happy to answer them. Discuss away!

Thomaz

Smash Lord
Shut up, Yuna. Falco isn't better. This game is all about follow ups and lag. And guess what, Sheik doesn't know what lag is. Not to mention priority etc.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Wow, even without the chainthrowing and weaker u-air sheik is still at the top. I'm impressed with yoshi's placement, everyone loves the dinosaur.

Mr. Phantasmo

Smash Journeyman
Lol I dunno, my main is Falco yet I suck, because of this list and putting Falco above Fox makes me look worse lol.

Na joking the list is toit like a toiga. :chuckle:

Linkje

Smash Lord
totally agree with this .
in pal sheik is to overpowered.
and putting peach above fox would bu stupid it would be the same as putting marth above falco.
And I think that I'm now officially the lowest tier player in the netherlands wooot !!!! :p w8 a sec I was that with young link 2 :p

Great list guys keep it up ^^

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
YAYUHZ. Good list ^^. Couldn't have picked a more knowledgable team from Australia and I have the utmost trust in the capabilities of the representatives of the other countries, aswell ^^.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik
Falco
Fox
Marth
Peach
I expected Peach a bit higher, but it looks reasonable enough. Better than the American one imo.

Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Also didn't changed alot. Good thing ICs are higher.

Luigi
Link
Yoshi
Roy
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
I don't get why DK is so low if one of the best DK's not called Captain Jack mains him. =/ Why did Yoshi move so much? I agree with Luigi's place though.

Young Link
Mr. Game & Watch
Zelda
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo
Young Link = Steven... Goeie stront. :laugh:

FireMan.EXE

Smash Journeyman
totally agree with this .
in pal sheik is to overpowered.
and putting peach above fox would bu stupid it would be the same as putting marth above falco.
And I think that I'm now officially the lowest tier player in the netherlands wooot !!!! :p w8 a sec I was that with young link 2 :p

Great list guys keep it up ^^
My Low Tier main is Mewtwo Steven. But since I'm not in the Dutch top 20 I guess that doesn't count :p

I like the list alot, even though I'm surprised Falco is 2nd. I'm not all to familiair with the NTSC tier list, but isn't Falco there highest tier in the 2nd category? I could be wrong though. And besides, comparing NTSC and PAL is like comparing apples and eggs. I also didn't know IC was that high up. You should think they would be used more if they're that high.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That's why I aim for the middle! Go Samus and Doc!
We'll forget about me maining falco though, won't we. we will? good. : )

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's nothing wrong with whoring top tiers. Play to win, I say :p
It's the part where people think they're cooler than others just 'cause they play low tier characters that I don't approve of ;)

Mr P

Smash Ace
*agrees with helios*

Its always an all too convienent john for when you lose... some of the old school UK smashers were the worst for that. JOHNS JOHNS JOHNS

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Helios you're a noob :) It doesn't matter really on the tier of the character...johners will john no matter what. I play Roy...but I also play Fox. So what am I?

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
People who use low tiers to beat high tiers impress me sometimes.
People who use low tiers just because they are low tiers, and claim to be cool because of it, are douches =)

Top Bottom