• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with a DK/Bowser

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Okay well I looked in the matchup thread and found no links to help with these. There is a Bowser/DK user in Utah that kills me all the time and I don't get how he does it. I do everything and can't seem to beat him. This guy beat an all pro Falco with his Bowser! So as you can see he's pretty **** good. Well I usually try to roll and WD but it's like he knows what's coming no matter what I try, I need some help with his DK too, he buttrapes me with his DK especially his freikin' dsmash and his utilt, so any advice?

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
When I fight DK/Bowser, particularly DK, I keep in mind that they are a GIANT target. This allows easier everything. It's even possible to land a whole dair occasionally. Stay away from Bowser's grab, and don't hover right above him too much. Other than that, these battles are pretty straightforward. Both DK and Bowser are very comboable off of lots of stuff. Try to use more shorthop bair and SHJC uair. Perhaps you could go in depth a little more as to what moves you are trying that aren't working?

Oh yeah, DK's dsmash. IIRC, that thing has more lag than my old computer. Block and punish. Rinse and repeat. The moves you should really watch out for are his dair and uair. Dair hurts and is comboable in many situations. Uair comes out really fast. Oh yeah. And if he uses upB to recover, it's dair time.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Okay thanks, I'll try to apply those tactics to my fights with him I mean I know to get them on the lag but, the hovering above and Bowser grab are what I needed so thanks for that info. Nevermind that sad emocticon it was unintentional.

technomancer

Smash Champion
You really only need three moves against bowser: Usmash, Dsmash, and egg. Usmash when he's over you, spotdodge dsmash all his approaches and make sure to throw alot of eggs.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
You really only need three moves against bowser: Usmash, Dsmash, and egg. Usmash when he's over you, spotdodge dsmash all his approaches and make sure to throw alot of eggs.
Make sure you don't spot dodge flame breath, but besides that, spot dodge is gewd.

Dair is the ultimate edgeguard against these two characters with no vertical recovery, use it a lot.

It's really easy to whittle down Bowser's shield with dair, and then hit an exposed part of his body. Repeated dtilts is a good shieldgrab counter, but make sure they don't jump out of shield to dair you instead.

Bowser can't really edgeguard Yoshi that well until higher percentages. Then you actually have to mix up your reocvery (edgedashing and ECE are useful here).

Btw, who is this Bowser player? Gojira perhaps?

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bowser is super easy to combo, but you have to be able to DJC up-airs. Learn this first.

Next, is beating his shield game. Easiest way to beat shield grabs is to land behind him when you approach, or sidestep as soon as you L-cancel an aerial. If you do this, he'll use his up-b. However, Bowser's up-b has 2 hitboxes, so simply shield, watch your shield get hit twice, then unshield and punish.

In the end though, you beat Bowser with DJC up-air combos, and to a lesser extent edgeguarding. Everything else comes down to how well you read your opponent and vice versa.

DK is a similar matchup. Watch for the up-air combos he can use on you, and try to use your own DJC up-air combos. The b-air is annoying but there are ways around it, just experiment.

So, my main point? Combo combo combo.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Gojira's good...you should have fun playing him.

And yeah, everybody hit the nails right on their respective heads. Just make sure to not attack shields to avoid getting grabbed (DK) or Fortressed (Bowser). And you can be pretty creative and use some silly mindgames against these two; their game is fairly linear, so you can try to tip the scales in your favor by making them play outside of their comfort zone.

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
my favorite tactic is a NON-fastfalled shorthopped dair where you aim to land behind them to prevent shieldgrabbing, and the bair can do the same thing but it is a bit harder to land behind them especially bowser. the quickly shorthopped bair into a djc move or just a no-lag landing is also very useful but somehow against bowsers both tactics become less useful after ur opponent has figured it out because of fortressing but they are still my favorite aproaches against big shielding chars. another note about the first tactic I mentioned is that it is very midgamey because of how long yoshi floats in the air during his shorthop without a FF, especially with all the lag from every individual hit. this throws a lot of people off guard and whether its just the fault of people i play against or actually works against really good players it seems that I hit them with the last few hits if the dair even when they shield, and I also like to use the egg-poop out of bair

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Wow a help with boozer thread i never thought i would see the day

DJC U-airs against us are absolute hell along with B-airs can destroy us

Gojira is so nasty though

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
I want to ask about DK specifically. Mainly, how do you avoid grabs and get out of cargo up-air/f-air/neutral B crap. I know comboing DK can be pretty easy, but he seems to get more oppourtunities than I do.

D

Deleted member

I want to ask about DK specifically. Mainly, how do you avoid grabs and get out of cargo up-air/f-air/neutral B crap. I know comboing DK can be pretty easy, but he seems to get more oppourtunities than I do.
Avoid grabs... i dont really know, i guess try and keep your distance and maybe throw an egg to stop him from throwing. Cargo uair is pretty tough to escape, but u can stop him from getting in any more uairs with ur down b. Fair...ummmm Dks fair kinda sux imo, it has major windup lag. Neutral b, is also tough to avoid, but the main thing is to make sure he doesnt throw u. If for some reason he tries to fair u while u are on the ground, u can shield grab him and then, combo him to death with uairs and u can rack our damage with dair too.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
If you DI the u-throw in front of DK, he is going to f-air you and hit. If you DI behind DK he is going to u-air you. There is not enough time to down B without getting hit.

D

Deleted member

If you DI the u-throw in front of DK, he is going to f-air you and hit. If you DI behind DK he is going to u-air you. There is not enough time to down B without getting hit.
I think u can double jump and down b, or maybe if ur good at it u can untumble really fast and air dodge, then FF

Yoshi Jr.

Smash Rookie
I usually keep juggling bowser with u-airs, edge canceled egg throws to keep them at bay, annoy with b-air and d-air, avoid grabs by sidestepping and finish off with a strong smash attack. But of course I haven't fought a human player so what would I know?

D

Deleted member

I usually keep juggling bowser with u-airs, edge canceled egg throws to keep them at bay, annoy with b-air and d-air, avoid grabs by sidestepping and finish off with a strong smash attack. But of course I haven't fought a human player so what would I know?
U MUST RECOVER!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Annoying with back air is good.

I just like to drift away from them at around the third hit so I've got some distance after I land. I used to try going behind them while doing back air until Fortress said hello one too many times. x_x

Top Bottom