• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2015 Ness main footage from Australia

Jamwa

Smash Champion
sup

here's a video of me at a recent tournament
i've been playing melee for about a year now but brawl since 2010
please critique everything.
there are some glaringly obvious things i screw up, and some stuff im just experimenting with, but just doubt that im aware of what im doing wrong and pretend im some idot using PKT to gimp and tell me what i should be doing instead.

if there's any kind of DJC timings that could assist my ledge options, or make aerials safer, or any sort of technique im not abusing please tell me. the only melee ness i've watched is like that one old as match of Hax vs Mofo so im not too knowledgeable of anything like safe patterns of movement or how to gimp without SDing a bunch.

and yeah i know now i should grab the ledge vs fox but that was just me testing to see if ftilt beats fox's ledge snap

bonus doubles vids if you wanna watch them and critique as well:
GFs
extra
extra
extra
bonus singles vids from some time ago: vs lucky, vs a fox

nido pls go>>

Last edited:

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
A few things: First, I was really hoping you would win not only because you are Ness but also because your opponent was wearing a NP shirt. lol

Also, djc fair to grab has a small workable window, but afterwards you can use djc fair to ftilt for a while...this is also good at the edge as it will at least put them off stage further for easier edgeguards and at best stuff their doublejump.

Another thing you might find useful: Nair's lasting hitbox is good for covering rolls and sidesteps...especially from spacies. If they try to spot dodge a nair or if you follow their roll movement while nairing they will come out of invicibility and take the weak nair hit which at many percents can knockdown and setup for a wonderful jab reset or other things at higher percents. Beware: this can be cc countered at low percents.

Speaking of nair: When you are in the air just below a platform(like in the situation where you are on the platform then run off and djc an attack directly under it for example) nair is very good hear because it has range enough to hit both above and below the platform better than bair and its topside range isnt as high as uair making it more likely to shieldstab.

PK Thunder gimps off stage generally depend on you ending PK Thunder as fast as you can after hitting your opponent if not BY hitting your opponent. Think about how much time your pk thunder has left and if you arent gonna make it to ending your pk thunder by hitting with the head then move it to the quickest wall to end it before your opponent recovers.

EDIT: And I imagine it was just an oversight you already know about, but utilt to jabreset doesnt work at 0%

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
thanks a bunch.

i will experiment with the nair.

on platforms i like djc bair as it's easiest for aiming shield pokes, but yes i should implement nair when i need a big/quick hitbox.

djc fair grab is a bad habit. usually my only mixup is shield or roll. never considered ftilt if they DI fair, thanks.

the dtilt after utilt is the quickest option and gets a lot of percent if the opponent isnt ccing right away,what other move would you use after a low percent utilt?

also i was wearing the NP shirt :p

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
oh shit lol @ NP shirt

For utilt to dtilt if the utilt doesnt even knock them into tumble then a jab reset cant happen because there is nothign to reset. Another utilt might work out though. In some very low % situations on some characters landing a utilt will not combo into anything as your opponent will be able to hit you before your next attack come out, but it does give them pretty bad positioning allowing you to readjust your position for another opener. If you get into a situation like vs. say Falco...try utilt at 0% to WD(in either direction) then after WD follow up quickly with some form of attack. This is not a situation that comes up often, but if it does you can use it to condition your opponent to spend their doublejump to escape.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
No ness in the second bonus doubles vid. :[

I think you're quite liberal with djc dair (specifically in that doubles set) and it's surprising you weren't getting punished for it more, especially against a shiek and falcon. Not saying it's a bad option but it's not an option you want to use heavily.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
No ness in the second bonus doubles vid. :[

I think you're quite liberal with djc dair (specifically in that doubles set) and it's surprising you weren't getting punished for it more, especially against a shiek and falcon. Not saying it's a bad option but it's not an option you want to use heavily.
im aware of how i abuse it in doubles; its not safe, but if i get punished its generally free on reaction hits for my partner (at least that's the plan). the startup animation gives my partner heaps of time to adjust position if it either hits, nothing happens, or an opponent commits to a punish.

not to mention, if people predict a dair and i fair it either gets me a punish, they shield it and something happens, or they evade and we get stage control.

fixing video in a second.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
im aware of how i abuse it in doubles; its not safe, but if i get punished its generally free on reaction hits for my partner (at least that's the plan). the startup animation gives my partner heaps of time to adjust position if it either hits, nothing happens, or an opponent commits to a punish.

not to mention, if people predict a dair and i fair it either gets me a punish, they shield it and something happens, or they evade and we get stage control.

fixing video in a second.
Well, you use it almost just as often in singles too but your second point is certainly valid. For every top tier i can think of though they have some aerial they can throw out that is stupid fast that makes it less of a prediction and more of a reaction, and all of those moves would send you off stage without a jump. As long as they're shielding it and you're aiming behind them it's totally fine but no one i play ever lets me get the hitbox out in those situations unless they're bad and/or they don't know the matchup at all (and even then if they're good they'll just hit me because they're adapting). :/ I dunno, you seem to get a ton off of it so it's probably just a minor point.

By the way, out of curiosity, does aus use PAL?

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
yes we use pal

i dont think you can cry mu knowledge, dair djc is safe depending on position, and you can always alter the heights/speed at which you djc to make yourself less predictable.

if people start jumping into me and countering the dair i make sure to nair or fair to condition them into knowing it's not safe to jump at a ness in the air

could you show me a match where this particular habit is punished consistently? from experience it works but i can understand that it might just be my opponents (i dont mean to sound adamant).

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I was wondering why things felt slightly different. Is ness better off in PAL? I know it doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about but just curious because i have always thought that since PAL technically nerfs top tiers that he should fare a LITTLE better. (though obviously not enough to change anything tier wise)

Hmmm. I get you, i don't mean to sound adamant either. I definitely need to try the way that you do it more to see what happens. Even in new england i feel like if i "abuse" that i'll take a nair, uair, or bair which from their perspective is easy to catch and if it trades it means i won't get an utilt or dtilt/jab reset into a combo of some sort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom