• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evolution: X-Men (officially abandoned)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Evolution is a role-playing, combat, and adventure game based on the world of MARVEL Comic's X-Men and surrounding universe. The game's exploration can be played through PM's on Smashboards, however the majority of all action, including all of the combat, is played over AIM. If you are interested in joining the game, please send me a Private Message; I can no longer guarantee you a spot, but you may replace someone else.

I'm no longer taking new people. If you are not on this list, or have not spoken to me, then the only way you will play is if you replace someone. Still, if you are interested, speak to me.

The Roster:
Blue: Academy for Gifted Youngsters
Red: Brotherhood of Mutants
Yellow: Available for Recruitment
Orange: Unrecruitable
  1. Professor X (Virgilijus)
  2. Cyclops (HyperDragon)
  3. Jean Grey (Airgemini)
  4. Iceman (Karthik_king)
  5. Beast (Matunas)
  6. Magneto (KevinM)
  7. Mystique (Mr. Lombardi)
  8. Gambit (Mentosman)
  9. Wolverine (SkylerOcon)
  10. Sabretooth (frozenflame751)
  11. Rogue (McFox)
  12. Pyro (Smashman)
  13. Nightcrawler (Macman)
  14. Shadowcat (Mediocre)
  15. Archangel (Pythag)
  16. Leech (Ignatius)
  17. Colossus (Niiro)
  18. Multiple Man (Marshy)
  19. Toad (Handorin)
  20. Surge (Rockin)
  21. Wolfsbane (Batmansince1939)
  22. Forge (Nicholas1024)
  23. Havok (Yaya)
  24. Polaris (Flipstar)
  25. Cloak (junglefever)
  26. Dagger (Emi bear)
  27. UNKNOWN (SwordsRbroken)
  28. UNKNOWN (????)
  29. UNKNOWN (????)
  30. UNKNOWN (????)
  31. Cable (Evil Eye)
  32. Deadpool (Eor)
  33. UNKNOWN (????)
  34. UNKNOWN (Ronike)
  35. UNKNOWN (tmw_redcell)
  36. UNKNOWN (????)

Working on:
Pirajacinto

The Rules:

General:
  • Evolution is 12 arcs long. Each arc is defined by a key plot point, event, or story development. Each arc will last 2-3 weeks in real life.
  • You are allowed to travel to any areas that are Globally Open or Privately Open to you or someone with whom you are traveling. You will be restricted from entering areas that are Globally Closed to which you do not have private access.
  • This thread will be used for Global News Network updates, as each player's personal journal, and to announce major events including but not limited to the death of player characters, alignment/recruiting decisions, and the beginning or end of game arcs. This thread is also open for out-of-character talk between players.
  • You are required to stay in character. This is not restrictive: as long as you can legitimize any action that the character we have made together might possibly make, you can make it. However, this does mean that you must stay in character during conversation or other communications. It also means that you must stay loyal to your alignment.
  • Mutations do evolve. Powers do become more powerful over time and/or use. Being creative is rewarded; so is practicing.
  • For the sake of win conditions, the war between the mutants will come to a definite close at the end of arc 10. Subsequently, by the end of arc 10 you will have either won or lost the game. Arc 11 and 12 will still be available for play, regardless of whether or not you won or lost the game, as long as you are still alive. (Note: things may have drastically changed for the losing side of the war during arcs 11 and 12.)
Ghost Actions:
  1. While you are not playing, the game may continue without you. If you wish to complete a series of tasks while not playing, you can submit ghost actions. For example, if you wish to travel to another area between play sittings, you should submit ghost actions to go there, via taxis, airports, or any private transportation that you have.
  2. Ghost actions will gradually become evidently important. You need to live a normal life, even if you are a mutant. That means you don't randomly go comatose when you aren't playing. It is highly recommended that when you finish playing, you submit ghost actions. These will allow you to keep up with everyone else.
  3. If you cannot think of any ghost actions you wish to submit, it is highly recommended that you submit the action to train or experiment with your powers.
  4. Regardless of what ghost actions you submit or if you do not submit any, you will make some. Your character will move around the local area, maybe scout out a new area, will eat, will sleep, and will stay alert if possible.
  5. If you interrupt another players set list of ghost actions by interacting with them, they will stop all their ghost actions. Therefore, if another player had requested a list of actions to make that included, "clean up my room at the Academy, go to my normally scheduled classes, and train in the Danger Room," and you interrupted them while they were cleaning or walking through the hallway, they would most likely still go to their scheduled classes, but they would not train in the Danger Room. And they might get peeved with you out of character.
Alignment:
  • Each player available for recruitment is required to choose an alignment (Academy or Brotherhood) by the end of Arc 4.
  • Once you have joined an alignment, you are not allowed to leave that alignment except under extreme circumstances (read: justifiable plot development).
  • You are not allowed to harm another player of your alignment without their permission.
  • If you are aligned with another player, you may spar with them at any time. In this fight, you can literally fight to the death - all damage done during the fight will be instantly reversed after the fight is over, but any new experience, knowledge, or evolutions gained during the fight will be canonically retained.
Combat:
  • Combat will be done over AIM. You will enter a chat that includes all opponents and allies, and you will enter a private chat with the game moderator. You will submit your actions in our private chat, and the results of all actions will be displayed in the larger chat. If you have allies in this fight, you may possibly enter a chat with all allies and the game moderator: this chat would take the place of your private chat and all actions could be submitted as a team.
  • Each character in Evolution has a distinct power. Some of them drastically change combat from what you may have become accustomed to during the course of the game. The format of combat may change.
  • Metaphorically speaking, fire is equal to ice.
  • With few exceptions, the game is generally balanced. Some exceptions should be obvious (read: Professor X, Magneto). If you are put in the rare situation where someone drastically or lethally counters your power, you will be notified that "you have a bad feeling about this situation." If you drastically or lethally counter someone's power, you will not be notified that you do.
Victory:
  1. If you are available for recruitment and die before you are recruited to either alignment, regardless of reaching your individual win condition, you lose.
  2. If you are aligned with the Academy or the Brotherhood, and your alignment loses the war between the mutants, you lose.
  3. If you are aligned with the Academy or the Brotherhood, have reached your individual win condition, and have subsequently died, if your alignment wins the war between the mutants, you win.
  4. If you are aligned with the Academy or the Brotherhood, you are alive, and your alignment wins the war between the mutants, regardless of reaching your individual win condition, you win.

The Map:

[actual image ill upload later. im still making changes to certain location names.]

Globally Open Areas:
New York City, New York

Globally Closed Areas:
Boston, Massachusetts
Los Angeles, California
Jackson, Mississippi
Alberta, Canada
Moscow, Russia
Cairo, Egypt
Tokyo, Japan
London, England
Shanghai, China

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Journal Entries

You are allowed and encouraged to create a new SWF account for the game. Note that you are only allowed to make ONE, and only if you are actually playing the game. This account will be monitored, and you are not allowed to post anywhere on the boards with it except in this thread. You can use that account to post in character announcements via the thread once the game has started, and you can also use it to keep a journal.

Everyone is allowed and encouraged to keep a public journal. Your journal does not have to be a diary. The journal is the best way for you to share awesome information about things in the game that you enjoyed without breaking the rules. You are not allowed to speak with other players about things that happened in the game, but you are allowed to write it in your journal for everyone to see. You are not allowed to communicate with other players through the journal, but it is a fun way to let others know awesome things that happened to you. If your character is currently unable to write a journal (dead, bound and gagged, asleep), then do not write a journal or it may be deleted. I will keep track of all journal entries chronologically by character in this post.

Rogue:
  1. Prebeta entry 1
  2. Prebeta entry 2
Surge:
  1. Beta entry

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
It is September 15th which means I am going to start modding betas for Evolution. Each player will have the opportunity to play in 1 solo beta during which they can get a good idea of how their powers will work in the game.

These betas will not be like the Fog 2 betas or the GAE betas, which are more like mini-games, but these will be specific scenarios for you to learn about your powers firsthand. Each beta will include at least one non-combat scenario and at least one combat scenario, no matter how many fights you attempt to start or avoid. Throughout the beta, I greatly encourage you to ask questions, for example, if you could use your power to do x or if you are allowed to do y, or if you are strong enough to do z.

The betas are canon to the story line, though you can actually die in them. If you do die, you will come back to life for the real game, and the story will be rewritten so that you didn't die. Many of these betas are your characters origin story, and many of them will have direction relevance on at least the beginning of the real game for you.

If you would like to join either the Academy or the Brotherhood DURING your beta, please let me know. I will need to adjust things, but that is absolutely allowed. In that case, another player character, from that alignment, will make an appearance in your beta.

After we agree on a time for you to play your beta, you will receive your actual role PM for the real game. This is the best way for me to let you know your powers and abilities and personality without having to rewrite anything. Its easier for me. :]

You can use the thread now to discuss if you want a character change or if you are ready to play your beta. I would like to do only one at a time, because this should be very character and player specific, and I would like to do a few per week.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
four or five weeks

btw your beta would be best if you and emibear both played at the same time in the same chat.

Niiro

Smash Ace
If we choose a side in beta, will we be forced to stay in that alliance main-game?
And lets just say that yedi dies during his beta for teleporting into a wall or something. Will he stay dead main game?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
The betas are canon to the story line, though you can actually die in them. If you do die, you will come back to life for the real game, and the story will be rewritten so that you didn't die. Many of these betas are your characters origin story, and many of them will have direction relevance on at least the beginning of the real game for you.
dont worry niiro i got you.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
If we choose a side in beta, will we be forced to stay in that alliance main-game?
yes sir

choosing a side in the upcoming mutant war is a very important part of the game so once you choose a side theres no going back.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll be open to do mine whenever I'm online pretty much, unless its an "I'm online but leaving in 20 minutes" type situation. But yeah, if you see me online and are ready to do it Tom just let me know and I'll make sure I've got some time before we start

N

Noriko Harada

Dear Journal

After shopping at the mall and picking up some of the latest gadgetry and video games, I have done my task for the night. I have defeated the Hayabusa Yakuza clan leader from further spreading over Japan. I was unphased by the mockery he gave me. The same old ones many men before him seen. I'm sure my uncle Ryu is so proud. I am also proud of myself for making sure the honor of the Yashida yakuza clan will live on and control Japan. The gift sword he has given me for my birthday would be cherished forever.

However, when I returned to the house, I found many of his men dead. He was...assassinated by a samurai unlike I ever seen. The samurai spoke of justice for japan, but his face has the devil himself on him. A man in white...with the red sun on his chest. I could never forget that figure he had. I lost my father because of a killer...and now I'm losing my uncle. The samurai would die a quick death.

I challenged him in sword combat, to which he accepted. The way he moved..and attacked. It was as if I was fighting the gods themselves. I was...a bit afraid honestly, but I didn't give up. My uncle was counting on me. My attacks hit true and soon weaken the devil samurai. When I cast the final blade on the devil's face, but he disipears. For now, I have won the battle, but many casualties are still around me.

The samurai...who called himself 'The Silver Samurai,' spoke from all over me and warns me not to linger...or else his attacks will be constant. I went to my uncle and knelt near his side. He told me his final words and then passed on. To honor him for his spirits, I cleaned his body and gave him the best chant I could muster. I took the symbol and pride of the Yashida yakuza clan and leave. All I could remember from that point was that I left out...surrounded by a blaze of fire.

I then tell my family...my mom, what happen. She wants me to leave Japan and go off to New York. To meet someone there. To grant my uncle's final wishes.

I now began to plan my trip to New York City. Tomorrow, I'll head for the docks and leave to New York. I look out the night skies and the city of Tokyo. It's such a beautiful city. I feel sad for leaving it. I feel I could take on the samurai, but at the same time...I don't know how lucky I may be this time. I will leave my country...and train. I will once again return and may even take over my uncle's foot steps. Right now...it's undecided.

You see a drawing of a female teenager of that looked to be their early twenties standing at the back of a ship., looking at the city outskirts of Tokyo as well as the horizon from sea level.. The imagry looks like something from an anime. The woman was armed with a sword on her back. Over the city was a red sun, which seemed to be colored in red (even though the outline of the drawing is black). The sun seemed to be right over a very tall building, which a samurai figure could be seen

There was some writing right under the drawing.

"Your words are strong...but so is my spirit. I will be back one day to claim your head once and for all. The strong will walk and the weak will fall."

N

Noriko Harada

I lol'd.
Cause in Japan it can be:
13yo
18yo or
20yo

Depending on how you define legal.
There, I fixed it so everyone could understand it better.

You guys are mean T____T;;

EDIT: Tom-san gave me permission to add more content to my journal, since I left it vague for safety, so check it out

arigoto, sexy neko boy! :D

Yaya

Smash Champion
So, I guess I have to actually go here to get my role PM and post in the thread and that kind of stuff?

Tom brought me back to SWF, you sneaky *******.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
3 betas have finished, and 4 more are scheduled to be next week, including yaya+flipstar, marshy, and karthik. :D

Batmansince1939

Smash Journeyman
Dang I want someone to be either wolf cub or wolfbane...that is if tom lets me be bloodhawk laugh

I want to have some sweet werewolf and vampire battles

and if i get to be bloodhawk, arc angel you better prepare for a sweet rival'ary!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Dang I want someone to be either wolf cub or wolfbane...that is if tom lets me be bloodhawk laugh

I want to have some sweet werewolf and vampire battles

and if i get to be bloodhawk, arc angel you better prepare for a sweet rival'ary!
add my aim to your buddy list and catch me online some time next week. this weekend im going to awa but next week we can get you set up.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I lol'd as well and it made my night, but it would have made my month if someone hadn't made that joke already in a GAE beta recently.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I am down for my Evo beta ASAP.

I'm going to post my original journal entry from the now-in-the-Rubbish-Bin topic, but that one chronologically should still take place on the day I wrote it, putting it a few months prior to now.

*EDIT* I've got two old ones, and I know Eor (Deadpool) posted one in that topic that needs to be saved too, because it was awesome.

The Rogue

Smash Rookie
Rogue's Audio Journal, May 28th, 2009

Blindspot was out again t'night. Since Mystique's not her momma, she let's Spot do wha'ever she wants t'. Ah miss her when she goes out like this. She never tells me where she goes. Maybe she's pullin' more jobs'n the sahde? Or maybe she's just ashamed o' what she's doin', whatever it is. Ah don' know. All Ah do know is that Ah miss her.

Ah watch TV and see normal people doin' normal things. Ah ask momma why Ah can't live like that. Go to a school, go to dances, just touch people. She says that mah powers make me special, just like hers make her special. I don' know. It's nice f'r her, she'c'n look lahke anyone she wants't'. Me, Ah can't touch anyone without hurtin' 'em. No one except f'r Blindspot...

...sometimes Ah wonder if she really is the only person Ah'll ever b'able to touch. Ah've never been able to touch anyone else except f'r her, not even momma...

She kissed me once. She said a girl should at least know what a kiss feels like bah her 18th birthday.

Mah 19th birthday's comin' up soon...

...end entry.

The Rogue

Smash Rookie
Rogue's Audio Journal, June 11th, 2009

Momma's been talkin' a lot about a woman named Carol Danvers lately. I don' know who she is. I don' know what momma's plannin' either. Ah jus' hope she's careful. From the sounds of it, Danvers's more dangerous than the people momma usually steals from.

Ah've always wondered about that. Momma says it's okay t'steal, as long as it's from bad people. Ah don' know. Ah've absorbed the memories of a lot'o' people momma steals from. Plenty of'm were bad, but some were just regular people. But Ah'm sure momma knows what she's doin'.

Blindspot visited for a few days again, an' it seemed jus' lahke old times. E'cept that everything was different. She seemed different. Lahke she was tryin' too hard t' please me. Ah played her a song Ah've been workin' on, we listened to some music, and it was all lahke it used't'be a few years ago. E'cept that it was nothing at all lahke it used't'be.

It looked lahke she had somethin' on the tip'o' her tongue that she jus' couldn' spit out. But the way she was actin', Ah didn't even know if Ah wanted to hear what she had to say.

Ah love her. She's the only real friend Ah've ever had, and she the only person Ah've ever been able to touch. We've been so close for so long, how can she not feel the same way about me?

...ah want to believe she does, but it's been so long since Ah told her how Ah feel, and she's never said anythin' like that back to me.

...she doesn' love me.

Top Bottom