• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia 4: Town wins (Xiivi rules)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
“Another cake for the king…”

Welcome to your first Mafia game in Decisive Games! Mafia is a very fun game of communication, strategy, diplomacy, psychology, and best of all, deception. If you have ever wanted to join a game of Mafia here in Decisive Games, now would be the best time, whether this be your first game ever or your first game here.

This game will be comprised of 5 new players and 4 regular players.

Mafia can get pretty complicated pretty quickly, but some of the most fun games use only the basics – lucky for you, as the most basic games are also the best way to learn and the easiest way to jump into a new hobby. If you end up liking the game, you will be completely prepared to join one of the other regularly hosted games in Decisive Games, as well as make connections and good friends with the slew of regular players we have. (which includes a large amount of debaters, writers, broomers, and moderators... as well as totally awesome dGamers!)

The game is divided into Day phases and Night phases. Starting with Day 1, the whole group will play, talk, debate, argue, accuse, defend, and diplomatically vote who they think is mafia. When a majority vote has been reached, that player will be lynched (killed off, eliminated) and you will find out if they were town or mafia. Then it becomes Night 1, and the townies to go “sleep” while the mafia get together and choose someone to kill! Day 2 begins, you discover whom the mafia has killed at night, you regroup, and you hunt for the scum again!

Please read the rules, and if you need more help or are curious for more knowledge, click on the Further Reading links. If have any questions, they are probably answered in the rules or the Further Reading, but feel free to ask the game moderator (Tom) anything you do not understand.

Further Reading:
Newbie Guide: Introduction for new players.
Basic Rules: Reading these rules, along with the game's specific rules, will help you understand the game.
Common Roles: Includes a description of the roles both commonly and uncommonly found in Mafia.
Smashboards Mafia Archives: This archive includes examples of past Mafia games in Decisive Games.

Rules:
  1. Unless your role states otherwise, no communication about the game is allowed outside of this thread. That includes communication with living players, dead players, and non-players.
  2. No faking a quoted mod PM (including pictures). Not even partial quoting.
  3. Editing your posts is not allowed. If you make a spelling or grammar mistake, clarify what you mean in a second post.
  4. All votes must be bolded (Vote: Mayling).
  5. To get rid of your vote, simply unvote (unvote). It is not necessary to unvote before voting a new player.
  6. A lynch will occur when a majority has been reached. Day will end with a lynch.
  7. You may vote for a 'no lynch' if desired. If a majority of the players in the game vote for to no lynch, the game will progress to night without a lynch. If the deadline comes and the 'no lynch' option does not have the majority vote but still has the most votes of any option, then there will be a no lynch.
  8. If the deadline hits and a majority has not been found, no one will be lynched and night will begin.
  9. If a lynch occurs, then the game enters Twilight, where all living players apart from the player who has been lynched are allowed to freely converse (but not allowed to cast any votes) until I post a death scene.
  10. Once you are dead (flavor has been posted), you are allowed to make one final "bah go town/scum!" post, but nothing of substance.
  11. I'm willing to extend deadlines in the event of extenuating circumstances. This is purposely left vague.
  12. Treat this game as a commitment. You are requested to post at least once every 72 hours. Failure to do so will result in prodding. An accumulation of too many prods (however much I think that is) will result in your replacement or a modkill depending on the circumstances.
  13. If you are unable to participate for a period longer than 72 hours, please PM me or post in thread.

Alive:
1. The Guide
2. xXArrowXx
3. undead_moose
6. SwordsRbroken
7. §teel
8. KevinM
9. Gheb_01

Poisoned:
5. SummonerAU
4. Clownbot mentosman8

Replacements:
1. mentosman8
2. Meta-Kirby
3. Kirbyoshi

Sample Role PM:
You are a chef in the king’s court! Alongside the eight other chefs, you have been working day in and day out to prepare a cake for the coronation ceremony for the young new king. Now the day of celebration has arrived, and tragedy has struck! You have no special powers, but you must use your wits to determine who among you poisoned the cake. You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
Events:
Day 1 begins with no death | ends with a no lynch.
Day 2 begins and SummonerAU, vanilla townie, dies | mentosman8 (replaced Clownbot), town jailkeeper, is lynched and day ends
Kirbyoshi poinsoned n junk

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
So, we post here to sign up? If so, I'm down with joining this.

God, I've wanted to do this for ages. :p

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I can help as regular gamer. I'm not amazing at this game but I'm reliably active. I might be able to get some newbies as well.

:059:

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
How about you post an ad on the wolf boards? They were trying to make their own mafia game some time ago...

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Wonderful. I'm very happy to see Aussie players here.

If 6 newbies or so sign up, they will get the spots and there will just be one less DGamer.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I have talked to .joel about it. He said he is slightly interested but he has yet to make up his mind.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Signing up.

I've only played extremely brief games of chat Mafia before so I apologize if my lack of knowledge makes any of you regulars short. :$

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Awesome!

I will wait a couple more days to hear back from SumonerAU and .joel, and then I will gather the regulars together and start the game.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Okay, I guess since we have 9 the game will start within 24 hours. We're still accepting replacements. Thanks to all the dgamers who signed up to play with the newbies.

Role PMs will go out today/tomorrow and when they are all out, I will start Day 1.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
dang, the newbies are graced with pliskin watching their game!

you guys better not get too nervous~

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
OMG! Pliskin here, to greet me?! Clearly, this is the day that I am truly a part of SWF!

Anyways, looking forward to enjoying our game. I'm looking to be a regular here, so I hope it turns out well. :)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Years ago, a group of nine chefs baked a wonderful cake for the king’s 100th birthday. It was a seven story chocolate icing castle cake with cookies on top. The king took one bite of it... and he died! It was poisoned! The chefs banded together and discovered which of them had poisoned the cake by sentencing one of them at a time to death by cake. And it worked.

Now, you have all gathered for the coronation of the new king. The beloved prince is taking the throne today, marrying a wonderful princess to be his queen, and starting a new era of justice and kindness.

Nine chefs exit from the royal kitchen with a seven story chocolate icing castle cake with cookies on top. That sounds familiar, thinks the prince. What a wonderful cake, thinks the princess! You must take a bite, and then marry me, thinks the princess!

Encouraged by a pretty lady and against his better judgment, the young king takes his official coronation cookie cake bite! And now he is the king! And now... he is dead! Poison! Someone has poisoned the king! Rabble rabble mutiny rabble! Not again!

One or more of you chefs is part of the mafia, and has successfully enacted your plot to assassinate the king. However, the doors have been closed in the castle, and all nine of you are left in the room with the cake! You sit at a round dinner table with the cake in the middle.

You have all decided that in order to root out who is the mafia, you will all vote on who has to take a bite out of the cake. When a majority vote is reached, the voted player will take a bite of the cake and die, revealing their identity and alignment. When all of the mafia have taken a bite of the poisoned cake and died, the town wins! If at any point, the mafia reach a stalemate number or an outnumbering advantage over the town aligned chefs, then the mafia wins!

After someone takes a bite and dies, you will all be served water to whet your appetite. Hopefully none of this water is poisoned!

Day 1 begins!
With 9 players alive, it takes a majority of 5 to lynch a chef!
A deadline has been set for Thursday, February 11th, Noon EST!

(Note: The vanilla (regular, no-powers player) role PM has been added to the first post.)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Let's start with some common sense stuff, shall we?

DOCTOR READ THIS: You're quite important because you can safe one of us during the nightphases if you guess right. Don't breadcrumb or hint at your role - most of these games usually have a mafia roleblocker so if you're outed your action can be blocked. That means you're useless during the nightphase until we lynch the roleblocker. Only claim if you need it to prevent your own lynch obviously and try to avoid suspicions if you can.

COP READ THIS: You're quite important because you can investigate one of us during the nightphases. Don't breadcrumb or hint at your role - most of these games usually have a mafia roleblocker so if you're outed your action can be blocked. That means you're useless during the nightphase until we lynch the roleblocker. Only claim if you need it to prevent your own lynch obviously and try to avoid suspicions if you can. Be wary that not all of your results should be taken on face value: there is a town role called Miller, who is told in his role PM that he is a vanilla townie but he will give you a guilty result. Likewise there is a mafia role called Godfather and he will turn up innocent upon investigation. That means that a guilty doesn't immediately confirm a player as mafia - at the same time an innocent result doesn't confirm a player as town either.

Unlike the other newbie games we've seen so far this doesn't seem to have an open setup (explanation on these terms can be found in the newbie guides) so we do NOT know the roles (this is the norm in regular SWF mafia games but an exception to newbie games) before a lynch.

There COULD be a cop and / or a doc, there COULD be a roleblocker and there COULD be a godfather and / or miller but we don't know anything for sure so be careful about the report of an investigator

---

Steels vote was a "joke vote" - it's not actually funny so I prefer to call it a "random" vote. The purpose is not to lead directly to a lynch but to break the ice: start discussion, bait reactions of other players, see who votes whom et cetera. As long as you make sure to not put another player close to a lynch you should feel free to vote somebody for the sake of starting discussion.

Top Bottom