• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia 5 - Game Over! Who lives happily ever after in Newbieland?!

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Hello innocent little newbies & villainous 'ole ICs, and welcome to Newbie Mafia 5!

Newbie Section:

[collapse=Newbie Information]Hey! Looks like you're interested in playing some mafia! That's great! Mafia is a game that can vary between levels of simplicity and complexity and still retain its overall competitiveness and basic principles. In its simplest form, the game is played with two opposing factions: The Mafia and The Town. The Mafia serves as an "informed minority" and The Town serves as an "uninformed majority. Simply put: the mafiosos know they are the bad guys wanting to kill everyone else, and the townies are the good guys who must eliminate their threats before it's too late! More specifically, the mafia will be killing a townie every "Night Phase" and the group as a whole will try to figure out who the mafia among them is and lynch those players during the "Day Phase". Whatever the case, the game is based on basic principles of communication, strategy, diplomacy, psychology, and best of all, deception.

Mafia can get pretty complicated pretty quickly, but some of the most fun games use only the basics – lucky for you, as the most basic games are also the best way to learn and the easiest way to jump into a new hobby. If you end up liking the game, you will be completely prepared to join one of the other regularly hosted games in Decisive Games, as well as make connections and good friends with the slew of regular players we have. (which includes a large amount of debaters, writers, broomers, and moderators... as well as totally awesome dGamers!)

Now with that out of the way, I'll go through the mechanics of the game more clearly than the summary I originally explained. The game will begin in the "Day Phase". During this time, all players will be able to post in the thread, debate amongst one another, and vote for who they would like to be lynched that day. Once a player receives the majority of the votes, that player will be lynched! When a player is lynched, the moderator will reveal what their alignment (Town, Mafia, etc...) was to the other players. The townies will either rejoice and head to bed early, or lock themselves away for the night in sorrow. This is where the "Night Phase" comes into play. During this time there is no discussion and no one may post in the thread. The Mafia will decide on their kill during this time, and there may be some town players which special abilities that will help them at night! Regardless, once all actions are done, the moderator will start the next "Day Phase" revealing any deaths that may have occurred during the night. And the game will continue until either the Mafia has control over the town, or the town has eliminated their enemies! Don't worry though, the game is crafted such that the town has a certain number of "mislynches" before they lose. Don't think that town choosing the wrong person will lead to the end of the game immediately! Much like a game of cards, you don't fold until you've made all of your plays! ;)

There will be IC "Inexperience Challenged" players who will play in this game with you. Their primary role is to help you understand and enjoy the game! However, they'll also adhere to their win condition, so be careful!

Please read the rules, and if you need more help or are curious for more knowledge, click on the Further Reading links. If have any questions, they are probably answered in the rules or the Further Reading, but feel free to ask the game moderator (Xiivi) anything you do not understand.

Further Reading & Helpful Links:
Newbie Guide: Introduction for new players.
Basic Rules: Reading these rules, along with the game's specific rules, will help you understand the game.
Common Roles: Includes a description of the roles both commonly and uncommonly found in Mafia.
Smashboards Mafia Archives: This archive includes examples of past Mafia games in Decisive Games.

How to sign-up as a Newbie:

You may sign up as a "Newbie" if you have not completed 2 games in the dGames section of this site. If you are in any on-going games, then you are free to sign-up as a Newbie. However, I advise you to not overload yourself with too many games!

If you wish to sign up, simply post in this thread "/in". If you have any questions, then please feel free to ask them as well![/collapse]

Inexperience Challenged Section:

[collapse=IC Information]Read This: Being A Good IC.

You have two goals in this game: Your win condition, and being a good IC. And there is only one of those two that you MUST fulfill. And that is the latter. Being an IC in this game is a privledge and you should treat it as such. Under no circumstances should you treat new players in a manner that will cause them to want to quit the game or to not return to dGames. Your main priority is to help integrate the new players into dGames and help show them just how fun and rewarding a mafia game can be to play. This is not a "win at all costs" game, and neither are normal games.

You are eligible to be an IC if you have completed 2 games in the dGames section of this site. Currently on-going games are excluded in this count. If you would like to be an IC then please PM me linking to the last two completed games you have played in the dGames section of this site. I reserve the right to reject you playing as an IC; whether it be because I feel you actually aren't experienced enough, or because I think your playstyle does not go well with a Newbie Game, or because there are already enough ICs, or for some other reason.[/collapse]

General Section:
[collapse=Rule Set]
Rules:
1) Please enjoy this game and do not act in a manner that would make the game unenjoyable for others! (This includes personal attacks!)
2) The game mod is the game god. However, if you feel the game god happens to be testing your faith by placing an error in the game, then please feel free to point it out!
3) Editing your posts is not allowed, and multi-posting is instead encouraged in its place. Any and all edits will be reversed!
4) If you are allowed to communicate with another player outside of this thread, then please follow the communication instructions within your role PM!
5) Do not quote role PMs or any other form of communication with the Game Mod unless your role PM explicitly states you can (in which case follow the instructions in your role PM). Failure to comply will result in a modkill. You may paraphase your role PM as you see fit, but keep everything in your own words!
6) Once all role PMs have been sent, please confirm by quoting your Role PM back to me along with Rule #16. Please do not post in-thread as confirmation. This thread will be unlocked once all players have confirmed.
7) All votes must follow the format of "Vote: NAME".
8) You are not required to unvote, however if you do, then please use the format of "Unvote:".
9) No Lynch is a valid vote target.
10) A lynch will occur when a majority of votes has been reached.
11) If a majority has not been reached, then No Lynch is forced as the lynch target.
12) A) Deadline for the Day Phase will equal a time of eight days.
12) B) Deadline for the Night Phase will equal a time of two days.
13) During any day phase a player may perform the command "Request: Deadline Extension". The deadline will be extended by 4 days if a majority of players perform this command. This can only be done once over the course of the game and the deadline will not be extended for any other reason.
15) Twilight Phase will occur between Day Phase and Night Phase. All living players including those about to be lynched will be allowed to communicate in thread until a death scene is posted.
16) After your death you are allowed to select one of the following as a final remark:
"Good Luck Fellow Townies!"
"Good Luck Fellow Mafiosi/Werewolves!."
17) You are expected to post at least once every 48 hours. If you are not active for a period longer than 48 hours, you will receive a prod. If you do not post in thread with-in 48 hours of prod, you will be replaced. Multiple prods will result in replacement at moderator's discretion. If you have pre-planned absence, then please notify the game mod ahead of time and you will not be prodded. However if your absence is for an unreasonable amount of time, you may be forcibly replaced regardless of advance notification.
18) Failure to adhere to rules will result in replacement or modkill based on the moderator's discretion.
19) Please avoid using HTML and coloured font in your posts. All colours used in this post are strictly forbidden for use as they are the colours the game moderator will be using.
20) You may ask questions to the game moderator using the command: "@Mod: ___".
21) Please do not post in code, hidden text, or languages other than English.[/collapse]

[collapse=Players & Lists]Player List:
1. Clownbot
2. Super Smash Bros. Fan
4. Frown
5. TWILTHERO soaring-raptor-blast
6. Wizzerd Kirbyoshi
7. guus
8. Sworddancer.
9. §teel KevinM
10. Tom xxFrohawkxx[/collapse]

[collapse=Set-Ups]One of the following Set-Ups will be played.

[collapse=9 Players]Alternating 9P:
This is an Open Set-Up with all roles randomly assigned:

5 Vanilla Townies
1 Even-Night Cop
1 Odd-Night Doctor
2 Mafiosi

Here are the Role PMs (your NAME will be in the collapse field instead of the Role Name):
[collapse=Vanilla Townie]It seems there are a few bad cards in this deck! It's your job to find out who they are and eliminate them before the deck has been torn to threads!

Role: Vanilla Townie
Abilities: Your only abilities are your mind and vote; now's the time to make them count!
Win Condition: You win once all threats to the town are eliminated.[/collapse]
[collapse=Town Even-Night Cop]It seems there are a few bad cards in this deck! It's your job to find out who they are and eliminate them before the deck has been torn to threads! You've got a good idea of who's holding the clubs and almost positive you'll be able to find out if someone is a Mafioso and even things out!

Role: Town Even-Night Cop
Abilities: Each even night you may send me the command "Cop: NAME". You will be told if that player is Mafioso OR Townie. You may not target yourself. You may elect to use the command "Cop: No Target". Your sanity is guaranteed.
[collapse=Town Odd-Night Doctor]It seems there are a few bad cards in this deck! It's your job to find out who they are and eliminate them before the deck has been torn to threads! You've got a good idea of who has some heart and almost positive you'll be able to protect the odd one out!

Role: Town Odd-Night Doctor
Abilities: Each odd night you may send me the command "Doctor: NAME". Lethal actions targeting this player will fail, however you will not be notified whether this was successful or not. You may not target yourself. You may elect to use the command "Doctor: No Target".
[collapse=Mafioso]It seems there are a few bad cards in this deck! And its seems you're actually one of the two holding the clubs! Along with your partner, "Xiivi", you are ready to show the rest of the deck you aren't Jokers!

Role: Mafioso
Abilities: You may communicate with your partner at all times in the following QuickTopic: link. If you use any other method of communication (Private Messages, AIM, MSN, etc...) then you must provide logs of these conversations by copying and pasting them into the QuickTopic. Each night you may send me the command "Murder: NAME". This player will be targeted by the mafia for a lethal action.
Win Condition: You win once your faction has an undeniable majority rule over the town or nothing can prevent this.[/collapse]
[/collapse]

[collapse=12 Players]Monks & Masons:
This is a Semi-Open Set-Up with all roles randomly assigned:

8 Townies
2 Mafiosi
2 Werewolves

---
2 Monks - (determined randomly from the 10 non-Werewolves to be Monks)
2 Masons (determined randomly from the 10 non-Mafiosi to be Masons)

Here are the Role PMs (your NAME will be in the collapse field instead of the Role Name):
[collapse=Vanilla Townie]It seems there are a few bad cards in this deck! It's your job to find out who they are and eliminate them before the deck has been torn to threads!

Role: Vanilla Townie
Abilities: Your only abilities are your mind and vote; now's the time to make them count!
[collapse=Mafioso]It seems there are a few bad cards in this deck! And its seems you're actually one of the two holding the clubs! Along with your partner, "Xiivi", you are ready to show the rest of the deck you aren't Jokers!

Role: Mafioso
Abilities: You may communicate with your partner at all times in the following QuickTopic: link. If you use any other method of communication (Private Messages, AIM, MSN, etc...) then you must provide logs of these conversations by copying and pasting them into the QuickTopic. Each night you may send me the command "Murder: NAME". This player will be targeted by the mafia for a lethal action.
Win Condition: You win once your faction has an undeniable majority rule over all others or nothing can prevent this.[/collapse]
[collapse=Werewolf]It seems there are a few bad cards in this deck! And its seems you're actually one of the two holding the spades! Along with your partner, "Xiivi", you are ready to show the rest of the deck you aren't Jokers!

Role: Werewolf
Abilities: You may communicate with your partner at all times in the following QuickTopic: link. If you use any other method of communication (Private Messages, AIM, MSN, etc...) then you must provide logs of these conversations by copying and pasting them into the QuickTopic. Each night you may send me the command "Murder: NAME". This player will be targeted by the werewolves for a lethal action.
Win Condition: You win once your faction has an undeniable majority rule over all others or nothing can prevent this.[/collapse]

The following may be added to one of the above role PMs:
[collapse=Monk]
Role: ...
Role Addition: Monk
You recognize that "Xiivi" is not a Werewolf. You may communicate with your fellow Monk at all times in the following QuickTopic: link. If you use any other method of communication (Private Messages, AIM, MSN, etc...) then you must provide logs of these conversations by copying and pasting them into the QuickTopic.
Abilities: ...
[/collapse]
[collapse=Mason]
Role: ...
Role Addition: Mason
You recognize that "Xiivi" is not a Mafiosi. You may communicate with your fellow Mason at all times in the following QuickTopic: link. If you use any other method of communication (Private Messages, AIM, MSN, etc...) then you must provide logs of these conversations by copying and pasting them into the QuickTopic.
Abilities: ...
[/collapse]
[/collapse]

[/collapse]

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Am I still viable for this if I signed up for a regular Mafia game? D:

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
Not sure what qualifies as IC around here, but...

/in

And Clownbot, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to sign up for this game :)

D

Deleted member

Since I'm a newbie, I might as well say /in, despite being in another game. Don't worry, I can handle two games at a time unless notified otherwise.

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
Happy to see so many new players showing interest! Don't feel afraid to ask your friends if they want to play too! :)

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I always wanted to play mafia. I have absolutely NO experience, so I guess now is a better time then never.

/in

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
Day 1 Begins!

The crowd gathers amongst one another to find that the King and Queen of Hearts have been murdered! Now they must find those bad cards in the deck before they're playing 52 pick-up!

Deadline has been set for March 16, 2010 11:59PM EST.

It's takes 7/12 to lynch!

Day 1 Vote Count 0:
Clownbot: (0)
Frown: (0)
gf2tw: (0)
Mayling: (0)
McFox: (0)
RocketPSlence: (0)
§teel: (0)
Super Smash Bros. Fan: (0)
Sworddancer.: (0)
Tom: (0)
TWILTHERO: (0)
Wizzerd: (0)
Not Voting: Clownbot, Frown, gf2tw, Mayling, McFox, RocketPSlence, §teel, Super Smash Bros. Fan, Sworddancer., Tom, TWILTHERO, Wizzerd (:grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Clown, what do you hope to accomplish on the first day by immediately voting for someone?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Why would you let an IC take it. I wanted you to defend your position, but you only linked me to a webpage.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
If you read the link then you'll understand the vote. :p

The Random Voting Stage is pretty much how most most Mafia games start.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
RocketPSIence, randomly voting people is a good way to start discussion. At the beginning of the game, obviously we have absolutely nothing to go on. So, we start out a little silly to get the ball rolling. It will slowly snowball into more important things, and then we leave the silliness behind.

Clownbot, if you know the answer to a question, go ahead and explain it. Also, it might do you some good to use full explanations instead of links.

Hi, it's nice to meet everyone. My name is Tom, and I'm one of your ICs. If you have any questions about how the game works, I would first advise you to look in the collapsible Newbie Information section and click and read the four links under Further Reading & Helpful Links. Those should explain almost everything you need to know, and should almost be required reading. §teel, Mayling, and McFox are also your ICs and they're here to answer any questions you might have, too.

Remember that all roles were randomly given out and aren't based on who you are, what your name is, or what order you signed up. Anyone could be mafia or werewolf, Newbie or IC. So, let's get scum-hunting.

vote: Wizzerd

:D

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
So yeah I definitely responded to Xiivi's PM asking me to join yesterday while I was completely hammered. The only time I've ever been hammered in my life. Oh well, I'm still in.

I'm going to be trying something new in the game, I'll try it out for a bit and see how it goes. You'll find out soon.

Vote: Tom. Don't think you're safe just because you're an IC.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
sup *****es i'm a ****ing IC ask me **** but dont be suspicious about it or ill ****ing vote your ***

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
i wanna hug it and squeeze it and and and love it forever

vote McFox

hammered johns, get out scum.

(hi little cute newbies. my name is mayling, you may call me maymay, maymay-chan, meimu, ducky, shorty, panda bear, little kitten of love, or any sort of reiteration thereof. As long as it's not MAY. Thank you. I will love and cherish you forever and always, let's be friends, k? i will do my best as an IC *saluuuutes!*)

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Just realized I edited my post on the last page, changing the last line from "Sorry Clarn." to "Sorry Clarn D:"... which is apparently against the rules. Sorry, didn't change anything consequential.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Good, then. Wizzerd I'm glad you noticed that you're not allowed to edit, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just try not to do it anymore.

McFox, you're still on that tvtropes binge? We all know how that ends...

At least you're not a skeleton yet though. And I know you'll be a good IC so I'm glad you've stayed in the game. Just make sure you don't take anything too personal, right?

§teel you've been waiting quite some time to be an IC, right? Might want to watch the language. Lol.

RocketPSIence I'm curious to know what two-letter word you found that can't pass the censor.

unvote vote: Frown

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
§teel you've been waiting quite some time to be an IC, right? Might want to watch the language. Lol.
?? ive vet'd the last 2 newbies, this is the first time we're actually referring to them as IC's lol.

first post obv a joke, ill be nice :D

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
And I know you'll be a good IC so I'm glad you've stayed in the game. Just make sure you don't take anything too personal, right?
I know, I know. Your Mileage May Vary, but this has only really happened to where it hurt the game once, and only due to one player, who is not in this game.

Regardless, it's all good brah.

And yes, I'm going to continue to keep quoting the tropes. I'd actually been planning to do this in the next game I played. My idea was that if I could condense longer posts by other people into a much shorter phrase, it would help me keep track of what I'm thinking about people. I tend to find that my posts get too long and involved, which sometimes helps, but usually just leads to My Skull Runneth Over, among other things. I'm going to see if using these can help keeps things more concise.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Tom, I didn't actually put any curse words into it, I literally just put asterisks in it.

Frown, why you hatin' on frown?

Top Bottom