• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia 8 | Game Over! Town Wins!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Welcome to your first game of Mafia on Smashboards! Mafia is a very fun game of strategy, psychology, and deception. While the game may seem a bit overwhelming at first, these "Newbie Mafia" games are designed to help players get into the swing of things. The game will be composed of seven players: Five that are new to mafia, and two IC (Inexperience Challenged) players that will show you the ropes throughout the game.

Now for the mechanics of the game. Mafia is divided into two alternating phases of "Day" and "Night". During the Day players are allowed to post within the thread, debate amongst each other, and most importantly, vote for whom they would like to be lynched for that day. When a player has been voted for by a majority of the players, that player will be lynched and removed from the game! Following the players lynch, hte game moderator will then reveal the player's alignment (Town, Mafia, Etc) and role to the rest of the players and the Day Phase will end. During the Night Phase, the entire thread goes silent. However, Mafia will still be able to talk amongst themselves privately. Through private communication, they'll then be able to select one player to kill for the night, and, baring nothing prevents this action, the player will show up dead the following morning, having their alignment and role revealed. This process continues until either all of Mafia are eliminated through lynch, or Mafia eliminates enough players to have control over the town and its votes.

[collapse=Helpful Links]Newbie Guide: Introduction for new players.
Basic Rules: Reading these rules, along with the game's specific rules, will help you understand the game.
Common Roles: Includes a description of the roles both commonly and uncommonly found in Mafia.
Smashboards Mafia Archives: This archive includes examples of past Mafia games in Decisive Games.[/Collapse]
[collapse=Rule Set]Rules:
1) Do not act in a manner that would make this game less enjoyable for others! Try to restrain from personal attacks.
2) I am the mod. Do what I say. That includes you, Xiivi. However I'm bound to make mistakes, so feel free to point such mistakes out so I'm able to correct them.
3) Do not edit your posts! Double posting is completely fine in its place.
4) Do not communicate with any players outside of this thread unless your role pm specifically allows you to. If it does, follow the communication instructions left in your PM.
5) Do not quote your role PM or any private conversation you have with the game moderator. Doing so will result in a mod kill.
6) All votes must be written in the format of "Vote: Player" Be sure to bold your vote.
7) If you would like to remove your vote from a player, simply say "Unvote". Again, be sure to bold your unvote. YOu are not, however, required to unvote before placing a new vote on another player.
8) A player will be lynched when a majority has been reached.
9) If you would rather a lynch not take place, you may vote for "No Lynch". If a majority of the players vote for No Lynch, the Day will end without a lynch.
10) The Day Phase will last ten days. In each vote count I will include the exact time that the Day Phase will end.
11) The Night Phase will last two days. At the end of the Day Phase I will include the exact time that the Night Phase will end.
12) If there is not a vote majority at the end of the Day Phase, there will be No Lynch
13) Players are allowed to Request: Deadline Extension if absolutely necessary, and I will extend the deadline for the day phase two days. I will only do this twice during the entire game.
14) Twilight Phase will take place between the Day and Night phases, before the player is lynched. During this time all players are allowed to communicate, including the player about to be lynched.
15) If at any point in time you haven't posted for 48 hours consecutive hours, you will receive a prod. Once someone has received four prods, that person will be either replaced or mod killed, depending on the circumstances.
16) After your death you are allowed to make one post with no substance, such as "Go town!" or "Bah!".
17) Failure to follow these rules may result in either Mod Kill or Replacement.
18) When you have read both your Role PM and these rules, Confirm that you have done so in this thread. The game will start as soon as all seven players have confirmed.[/Collapse]
[collapse=Player List]Player List
1. DanGR
2. CloverLeaf
3. Vocal
4. Draconoa44
5. -Annet211-
6. Xiivi
7. Steel[/Collapse]
[collapse=Roles]Roles

The following roles will be randomly assigned among the players. The game will consist of 3 Vanilla Townies, 1 Even Night Doctor, 1 Odd Night Cop, and 2 Mafia Goons. The following are direct quotes of the role PMs that will be sent out.

[Collapse=Vanilla Townie]You are a townie. Your only weapon is your vote, so use it wisely!
You win when both mafiates are dead.[/Collapse][Collapse=Doctor]You are the Doctor. Each Even Night (nights 2, 4, 6 etc), you may choose one player to protect and send me their name. That player will be protected from nightkills that Night. Additionally, you may not target yourself.
You win when both mafiates are dead.[/Collapse][Collapse=Cop]You are the Cop. Each Odd Night (nights 1, 3 5 etc), you may investigate one player by sending me their name. I will tell you their alignment. Your sanity is guaranteed.
You win when both mafiates are dead.[/Collapse][Collapse=Mafia]You are a member of the Mafia. Your partner is XXX. At Night, the two of you may communicate and decide on a player to kill. PM me that player's name, and they will be killed unless they are protected by the Doctor.
You win when at least half of the town is Mafia.[/Collapse][/Collapse]

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
ROFL @ XIlVI BEING A PLAYER WHEN EVERYBODY KNOWS HE CAN'T EVEN PLAY LOLOLOLOL

:059:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Confirmed.

Do we get to find out who the ICs are, or will I live in suspicion and doubt?

ROFL @ XIlVI BEING A PLAYER WHEN EVERYBODY KNOWS HE CAN'T EVEN PLAY LOLOLOLOL

:059:
Hey you, be nice.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
/confirm

/oh look hilt puts the thread up when I'm leaving for work
Is..is that a real post count number? O_o

confirmed!
Why do you have such a deliciously large avatar?

Confirmed.

Do we get to find out who the ICs are, or will I live in suspicion and doubt?

Hey you, be nice.
DAN! I didn't know you were gonna be in this game, sweet!

All we need now is Clover and we're ready to go.

*returns to Lyndis*

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I think Hilt sends a prod after two days, and if he doesn't get a response...replacement time?

THIS THREAD NEEDS MOAR CLOVER!

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
Hiltyyyyy, I thought I was supposed to IC with these guys :( Oh well, I'll be a replacement if you need one.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'm going to give Clover until Monday night until I start the game, and then he'll be prodded like he normally would after that.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Alright, let's get this show on the road.

Day 1 Begins!
The deadline has been set for Friday, August 20th, at 11:59 PM EST!
With seven alive it takes four to lynch
!

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Hey guys :)

Xiivi and I are this games IC's, we will be answering any questions about the game, trying to show game theory and game play etc but will also be playing to our fullest extent to win the game.

Now this stage of the game is called the Random Vote Stage or RVS for short. In this stage people will usually just vote someone for any reason, its a fun ice breaker and is a way to just get people talking.

Also to quote a bit of good info i came across for new players:
Some Rules of Thumb:
1. Keep your role a secret. Mafia want to find cops/docs; revealing who the vanilla townies are helps them narrow it down. If you think someone's a cop, keep quiet about it.
2. Do not roleclaim unless you are one vote from being lynched (L-1) and someone who isn't voting for you asks you to claim.
3. Equally, do not hammer (place the lynching vote on) someone without doing #2, unless you're five minutes from deadline or something. Lynching the cop sucks.
4. Do not lie, especially about your role. Just don't.
5. Don't vote yourself! It won't do any good.
6. Try and cause people to give interesting (informative!) reactions rather than passively looking at what's already been said, especially early in the game. Asking (useful) questions is good.
7. Have fun! Smile

so to get this on the road...

I'm gonna vote cloverleaf. what took so long?!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Look at Xiivi's avatar. That Fedora CLEARLY wasn't in the original image, so here we have a record of falsifying data. Is a life of crime and murder that far of a stretch?

No.

Vote: Xiivi

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Obvious scum is obvious.

Vote: Draconoa44
| End Day
Not even bothering to refute the claims against you? Looks to me as if you're hoping for them to fall away silently, BUT YOU'LL GET NO SUCH MERCY FROM ME!

Guys, Xiivi is obviously mafia.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I had a massive plan for us to win this, but then I read Steel's rules. D:
In any case, I'm voting Steel for reasons I apparently can't say right now.

Vote: Steel

Be smart about this, people. I'll figure out what I can and can't say in a little bit and repost.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
BTW. I was late in responding because Hilt got me all addicted to Harvest Moon.
Obvious Mafia behaviour, even if he isn't playing. :3

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Vocal, you're being pretty aggressive. :O

Vote: -Vocal-

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I had a massive plan for us to win this, but then I read Steel's rules. D:
In any case, I'm voting Steel for reasons I apparently can't say right now.

Vote: Steel

Be smart about this, people. I'll figure out what I can and can't say in a little bit and repost.
Hmm. I actually hadn't paid close attention to those rules since I already read the gist of them in a dif game, but one sticks out: why do you recommend that people do not lie about roles? In the game I read through, a mafiate claimed to be the cop; while this blew up in his face the same day (:laugh:) it still seems like a valid strategy. Not that I WANT our mafia to do it, I'm just wondering why they couldn't. Just tryna play a fair game is all, don't take this as suspicious behavior ^_^
BTW. I was late in responding because Hilt got me all addicted to Harvest Moon.
Obvious Mafia behaviour, even if he isn't playing. :3
Understandable. (HM is great, right? :grin:)
Vocal, you're being pretty aggressive. :O

Vote: -Vocal-
Psh, didn't you hear Steel? RVS bro - I'm just getting some activity started :D Plus, I mean, just LOOK at that fedora! Obviously suspicious :lick:
Are you scum?
No. Are you? If you are, it's ok to tell me; we're friends, right? ;)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer

Hmm. I actually hadn't paid close attention to those rules since I already read the gist of them in a dif game, but one sticks out: why do you recommend that people do not lie about roles? In the game I read through, a mafiate claimed to be the cop; while this blew up in his face the same day (:laugh:) it still seems like a valid strategy. Not that I WANT our mafia to do it, I'm just wondering why they couldn't. Just tryna play a fair game is all, don't take this as suspicious behavior ^_^
I doubt he meant "Mafia members shouldn't lie about their role".
If they didn't, we wouldn't be able to play this game.

He likely meant the townies shouldn't claim their role immediately because the mafia likes to target cops & doctors.

Psh, didn't you hear Steel? RVS bro - I'm just getting some activity started :D Plus, I mean, just LOOK at that fedora! Obviously suspicious :lick:

No. Are you? If you are, it's ok to tell me; we're friends, right? ;)
A bit defensive are we? A simple "no" would have sufficed.
Your mirrored response is interesting.

And to answer your question, no, I am not mafia.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You make a strong case.

Your response, Dan?
Seems to me like Annet wanted to post something large enough to qualify as a post out, but small enough to largely unnoticed. Time will tell.

Top Bottom