• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie 23 // MGS3 Villains Mafia - Game Over

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
KARY PRESENTS:
NEWBIE MAFIA 23 A.K.A.
METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER
VILLAINS MAFIA

WELCOME

To Smashboard's Newbie Mafia 23. I'm your host, Kary.

Mafia is a game of deception, communication, strategy and argument, and this newbie game is designed to show you the ropes. To this end, the setup is meant to be easy to understand, and to aid you on your way you'll be joined by two ICs- experienced players whose role involves guiding you through the game and taking any questions you may have.

/ PLAYING MAFIA

How does mafia work? Put simply, you're given a role, typically town or mafia, and your job is to either identify the mafia and eliminate them by popular vote, or to avoid being detected and survive. If that wasn't clear enough, you're probably better off asking someone other than me:

You may find this flash tutorial helpful.

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia. At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know who each other are, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases. Usually the first is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will also vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it is now Night. During Night, the Town can not communicate, but the Mafia can discuss the game outside of thread and choose someone to murder. After the Moderator has received the name of the victim, the Moderator reveals the dead player, and next Day begins.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either all the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have gained numerical parity or superiority to the town.
[COLLAPSE="ALTERNATELY, ASK J"]
Let's go into what happens during this game. In this game, there are a total of two phases.

There is the "Day" phase of the game and then there is the "Night" phase of the game. During the Day phase of the game, any player that is actively playing this game is allowed to post in the game thread. During this time they may discuss who they think is the mafia and vote to lynch who they think is the mafia. Voting is an extremely important power because when a player has accumulated a majority of the votes, they will be lynched! Lynching removes people from the game and they can no longer talk in the thread. When the player is lynched everyone will be shown their flip. A flip is what their role and alignment was in the game. The Day Phase of the game will then end and thus move into the next phase.

The other phase is the Night phase of the game where no one is allowed to post in the thread and it becomes really quiet. During this phase the Mafia members are still allowed to talk amongst each other however outside of the thread. The mafia will then discuss during the phase whom they would like to kill. During this phase as well, Town PRs(Power Roles) are able to use their abilities to help them find scum as well in many different ways. When the mafia kill goes through, there will then be a flip at the beginning of the day stating that someone has been killed! This means they have been removed from the game as well and can no longer post in the thread.

The phases continue until either one of two things happens.

1.) All the mafia have been eliminated in some fashion.

or

2.) The mafia either equals the number of townspeople or they outnumber the number of townspeople.
[/COLLAPSE]
/ THE FLAVOUR
Most mafia games on Smashboards have a theme, or 'flavour', which gives the game a certain character and hopefully makes it more enjoyable. The flavour of a game is distinct from the mechanics, or how the game actually works, but sometimes the two are related.

This game's flavour is Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Villains, and I hope you enjoy it. Metal Gear Solid 3 is a story-heavy stealth action game set in the Soviet jungle during the Cold War. It also has an unusual cast of characters, and a self-referential sense of humour, which is what the focus of this game will be. In this game, the villains of MGS3 have put aside any differences they may have for the time being in order to hunt down their common enemy, Naked Snake, and anyone who might be working with him. So check those cardboard boxes, soldier! I mean, uh... vote for who you think might be a FOX operative in disguise, and we'll get rid of them!

THE SETUP

/ FACTIONS

There are exactly two factions in this game, the Villains, who are the town faction in this game; and FOX, the mafia faction. Yes, the villains are town-aligned. This is counter-intuitive, I know.
Villains-aligned players (townies) will receive a role PM that looks something like this:

[COLLAPSE=SAMPLE ROLE PM]

JAILGUARD JOHNNY, Vanilla Villain

That’s right! You’re an all-round alright guy, it just happens to be your job to keep an eye on that pesky Snake. You’ve no particular beef with him, but if he gets past you you’re going to be in all sorts of trouble! Considering the amount of weird stuff going on around you, you just hope you’re up to the task.

You’re a vanilla villain and as such have no special powers. Your abilities in this game consist of your vote and your voice! Make the most of them!

Now as far as you know, Snake seems to be an alright kinda guy; but unfortunately it’s your job to stop him messing up whatever plans the higher-ups have going on. Maybe in another lifetime circumstances would be different!

You’re Villains aligned and win when all FOX members are eliminated. Good luck![/COLLAPSE]Hopefully that all makes sense. It is worth noting you do not have to be alive to achieve your win condition! Details of how to vote and when you can post can be found in the rules. The paragraphs in italics are flavour, which doesn’t affect the way the game works. I should also point out/confirm that Jailguard Johnny is not in this game :(

Players who are FOX (mafia) aligned also have the following traits/powers, typical to all mafia factions in any game:

[COLLAPSE=MAFIA ABILITIES]Mafia Night Kill:
Once per night, you or one of your mafia partners may PM me the command ‘Mafia Kill: PlayerZ’ and that player will die unless something prevents it.
If you PM me the mafia kill, it will be you that performs the kill. I will accept only the first mafia kill action I receive.

Mafia Communication:
Throughout the game, at any point while you are alive, you may talk with your mafia buddies in the following quicktopic: . I do not expect you to communicate with them outside of this QT, if you wish to do so please PM me and we’ll discuss it. Mafia Safeclaim: You, and only you, know that CharacterZ is not in this game; and as such you can safely use their name in place of your own! You may wish to claim that you are a vanilla townie, or some other role! [/COLLAPSE]

Any ability (such as the mafia night kill) that can be used on another player does not have to be used, and cannot be used on yourself. Using an ability on another player means you visit the player you target, though your target will not be informed of this (another player may see you visit someone). (These rules apply to this game, but are typical of most games).

/ POWER ROLES

This game may contain power roles- roles with additional abilites beyond those of normal players. However, this is a semi-open setup, and as such you know only the following details about the setup: There may not be any power roles in this game whatsoever. However, if any power roles do exist, they will be limited to the following:

[COLLAPSE="POWER ROLES & ABILITIES"]
1-shot Vigilante - Vigilante Kill: One time only, during a night phase, you may PM me the command ‘Vigilante Kill: PlayerZ’ and you will take that player down!That player will die unless something prevents it. You can use this ability only once throughout the game!

Bodyguard - Bodyguard: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Bodyguard: PlayerZ’ and you will defend that player with your life; if they are targeted by any kill actions that night you will die in their place.

Jailer - Jail: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Jail: PlayerZ’ and you will keep that player out of mischief for the night. That player will be unable to use any abilities they may have BUT will be protected from any kill actions.

Roleblocker - Roleblock: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Roleblock: PlayerZ’ and you will mess with all that player’s plans for the night- that player will be unable to use any abilities they may have.

Tracker - Track: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Track: PlayerZ’ and you follow that player around for the night. If that player visits another player you will find out who they visited. If that player does not visit anyone, or if you are prevented from using your ability, you will not receive a result. You will receive any results via PM at the start of the following Day.

Universal Backup Once during the game, if a player of your alignment with a usable power role dies, you will inherit their power and I will PM you a new ability. You have no choice in this matter! You will inherit this ability as the game changes from Day/Night or vice versa. You do not inherit power roles with no abilities remaining.

Any ability that can be used on another player does not have to be used, and cannot be used on yourself. Using an ability on another player means you visit the player you target, though your target will not be informed of this. [/COLLAPSE]

No power roles other than these exist in this game. In addition, in this setup there is at most one of any given power role;it is not possible for two players to have the same power role, regardless of their alignments. Finally, any of these power roles may be of either alignment, and no player will have more than one power role.

[COLLAPSE=NOTES ON POWER ROLES]
  • If you are mafia aligned, you may use your night kill alongside any other ability you may have; you are allowed to use both abilities in a given Night phase, and they will resolve separately.
  • Night actions resolve in this order: Roleblock & Jail> Bodyguard> Vigilante Kill & Mafia Kill> Track.
  • All night kill actions resolve simultaneously; if you send a night kill action it will resolve regardless of whether you are targeted with a kill action.
  • If you are roleblocked you will be treated as though you did not use any ability you may have; you will not count as visiting, and will not expend any 1-shot abilities.
  • If two players roleblock one another they will both be roleblocked; it will be as though neither had used an ability.
  • If you track a player who dies that same night, you will still receive a result.
[/COLLAPSE]

THE RULES I expect you to read all of these; you should 100% do so if this is your first game. / FUNDAMENTAL RULES
  1. I am your moderator and host; my decision is final on all matters, sorry. Your co-mod for this game is X1-12, whose decision is almost as final as mine.
  2. Be nice; play that involves personally attacking/insulting other players will not be tolerated.
  3. Breaking any of these rules will result in many sad faces all round, and potential consequences include any sort of bad stuff I feel is appropriate, which may include modvotes, modkills, forced replacement or blacklisting.
  4. I reserve the right to deny anyone from signing up/replacing in
/ MAFIA FUNDAMENTALS
  1. Once you have died in the game, you may not post in the game thread or talk to anyone who is still in the game about the game!
    • The only exception to this is that you may post exactly one message along the lines of ‘go scum!’ or ‘good luck town!’ in the game thread shortly after you’ve died, provided it reveals no information about the game!
  2. You may not talk about this game while it is ongoing outside of the game thread or other locations that I specifically allow! This includes asking ICs or other players for advice! If you are allowed to communicate outside of the game thread, you are not allowed to quote that communication in the game thread.
  3. You are not allowed to quote, link or otherwise try and directly refer to any part of any communication from me, including your role pm! This includes images, timestamps, URLs and so on; you must paraphrase anything which you wish to claim.
  4. Editing your posts is not allowed, multi-posting is fine, however.
  5. You may not post in a language other than English, or in any form of code, or any form of hidden/unreadable text. Spoiler tags are ok.
  6. You are not allowed to post in the game thread during the Night phase, regardless of whether the thread is locked.
/ VOTES AND LYNCHES
  1. During the Day you may vote for a player by using the bold command ‘Vote: PlayerX’. Votes that do not exactly meet this format may still be counted if I deem them serious, though a vote should be in bold if it is to count.
  2. You may retract your vote by using the bold unvote command ‘Unvote: PlayerX’. You don’t have to unvote between votes.
  3. You may vote not to lynch someone by voting for No Lynch, e.g. ‘Vote: No Lynch’. If no lynch is chosen by majority vote, no lynch will occur and the day will end.
  4. The Day will end when a majority lynch is decided or a deadline is reached. If a deadline is reached without a majority lynch decided, there will be no lynch.
  5. There will be a Twilight phase between the end of the Day and the start of the Night, of approximately 12 hours (my discretion). During this time votes do not count but all players still alive (including any lynch target) may still talk. Twilight ends when the lynch goes through and I post the flip (the lynched players’ alignment and role). You may submit night actions during the Twilight phase if you so desire.
/ ACTIVITY AND DEADLINES
  1. You’re expected to post at least once every 24 hours. Failure to post within the space of 48 hours will result in a prod; If you fail to respond to a prod or accumulate too many prods you may be replaced or have other bad things befall you.
  2. If you are likely to be inactive for any length of time over 24 hours please post a V/LA message in the game thread or contact me via PM. If you are likely to have a very long absence you may have to be replaced in some capacity; please PM me if you think this is likely.
  3. If for any reason you no longer wish to be part of the game please PM me and I will try and organise a suitable replacement.
  4. Deadlines may be extended in certain circumstances by my discretion, for instance in the case of a player being replaced.
  5. One time thoughout the game, during the Day phase, the deadline may be extended if a majority of players request this in thread, using the bold command ' Request Deadline Extension'; this extension will last 48 hours.
/ GAME SPECIFIC RULES
  1. All roles are assigned to players at random.
  2. A game Day will last approximately 10 days; see deadlines for specifics.
  3. A game Night will last approximately 2 days; see deadlines for specifics.
  4. Everything described in the setup or in any communication from me is to be considered accurate.
  5. The flavour and mechanics of this game are only loosely linked; there is no guarantee that the flavour will produce results you expect.
  6. If you don't me send a night action before the deadline, no action will be taken. If you don't intend to use a night action you could use, you may PM me to that effect.
  7. Do not get yourself modkilled. I will be using the following as a guide when adjudicating any necessary modkills:
    • Modkills only end the Day if the player being killed is town-aligned. All other modkills will continue the game. In the event that a player is modkilled during twilight, the modkill will effect the next day phase (meaning that day would automatically end if the player is town and that day would continue as normal if otherwise).
/ KEEPING KARY HAPPY
  1. If you have any questions/believe anything needs addressing, you may either talk to me via PM or by asking questions in-thread in bold using the @moderator: command.
  2. If you believe I have made a simple mistake, such as miscounting votes etc., please let me know.
  3. Please preface all PMs with regards this game with ‘MGS3V Mafia’ and preferably also the nature of the message e.g. ‘night 2 action’, ‘question about role’.
  4. Please keep votes, unvotes, and anything else you would like me to see as its own paragraph.
I based this ruleset off those in Kataefi's Tekken Mafia; credit to him and whoever else was responsible.
THAT'S EVERYTHING, GOOD LUCK!

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
IMPORTANT INFORMATION

/ PLAYERLIST
  1. Acrostic (replaced LoliLovesRain D2)
  2. TyranitarPhantom
  3. BadWolf28738
  4. Anomandaris_Rake (replaced Monstmrna D3)
  5. STEM
  6. Vinyl.
  7. BSP
  8. Ranmaru (IC)
  9. Ragnarock (IC)

Potential Replacements:
  1. ...

/ LANDMARK POSTS
/ GAME PROGRESS

[COLLAPSE=CONTAINS SPOILERS]
  • STEM... The FURY, Vanilla Villain was lynched D1!
  • BSP... Revolver Ocelot, Villain 1-Shot Vigilante was killed N1!
  • Vinyl.... The PAIN, Vanilla Villain was lynched D2!
  • ... No-one died N2!
  • Anomandaris_Rake... Major Zero, FOX Operative was lynched D3!
  • ... No-one died N3!
  • Acrostic... Naked Snake, FOX Roleblocker was lynched D4!
Ranmaru... The END, Vanilla Villain
Badwolf38738... EVA , Vanilla Villain
Ragnarock... The Boss, Villain Tracker
TyranitarPhantom... Colonel VOLGIN, Villain Jailer
outlive the FOX unit!
[/COLLAPSE]

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
/ HELLO

Sign-ups have filled, and the thread is now live. Once you have read the rules and details of this game in the first post, please post here to confirm that you are still willing/able to play using the bold command ‘/confirm’. Other than this, feel free to chat with other players and ask any questions you may have about this game; you can of course also PM me if you have any questions. For the time being you do not have to be a player in this game to post in this thread; this will of course change once Day 1 starts.
Role PMs will be sent out and Day 1 will start only when all players have posted here to confirm.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
/confirmed that this flavour intrigues me.

Good luck to all

except maybe Soup >.>//

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Oh, and if people are interested in watching this game and talking about it behind the scenes, i.e. from a green room, let me know and I will set something up. Be advised that you can't do this and then replace into the game, just saying.

Also, if you're fighting another player, or would otherwise like to get into this game... haha! I will try and resolve this shortly, potentially through the medium of a pop quiz.

I think that's everything? If everyone has confirmed, role PMs should be out by tomorrow.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Am I really gonna have to fight Swiss somehow for the slot? I signed up first and stuff ._.

#HBC | ѕoup

Kary this OP is work of art, the formatting is so clean.

/confirm

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
:embarrass:

I believe everything's in order, just waiting on 4/9

feel free to heap praise upon me in the meanwhile ;)

or discuss the setup

or sign up as a potential replacement

whatever floats your boat

-Karyyu

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
^ ;)

Great. Role PMs should go out tonight, about 8PM EST, too busy right now.

!

EDIT: All Role PMs have been sent! If for any reason you did NOT receive a Role PM, or have any questions about your role, make sure to PM me.

Otherwise, good luck!

P.S. enjoy your awesome role PMs :D

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire

DAY 1 BEGINS

It was a cold and busy morning as the sun rose over the jungle of Tselinoyarsk. Cold, because nine very different personalities had forged an uneasy alliance, and were not ready to trust one another. Busy, because those nine knew there was a traitor in thier midst; some party that looked to undermine all of their plans, which had to be stopped, at any cost.

If that meant throwing someone from the Virgin Cliffs, then so be it.

/ VOTECOUNT 1-0

LoliLovesRain (0);
TyranitarPhantom (0);
BadWolf28738 (0);
Monstmrna (0);
STEM (0);
Vinyl. (0);
BSP (0);
Ranmaru (0);
Ragnarock (0);

Not Voting (9); LoliLovesRain, TyranitarPhantom, Badwolf28738, Monstmrna, STEM, Vinyl., BSP, Ranmaru, Ragnarock.

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch!
Deadline is Monday, September 10th, at 7PM EST.

"This is no Virtuous mission"

#HBC | ѕoup

Hi, I'm an IC. You can call me Soup. If you have any game-related questions that aren't covered in the OP, don't hesitate to ask me, I will give the best possible answer to my abilities. I'm going to be a bit formal here, and that I am personally going to be watching you all this game. If you want to impress me, you're gonna put 100% effort into this game. I really want to stress that activity is a huge factor in games, and I won't be picking up for slackers. I've played with some of you already, and perhaps these things won't be new to you, I just want to make this clear for other players that haven't played with me, I'm not trying to be mean here but I expect you to put effort into this game.

Also, Ranmaru is my counter-part IC and while he may not have the same standards as me, you can ask him questions also about the game.

#HBC | ѕoup

Right now were in a stage called RVS (Random Voting Stage). It's pretty self-explanatory, players vote randomly to break the ice most of the time, but other players (like myself), have more meaningful reasoning behind things. It's up to you how you approach this stage and it shouldn't dwell too long.

#HBC | ѕoup

Care to clarify on that statement Badwolf that you just made?

#HBC | ѕoup

Why were you confused in the first place? You were pegged by me as scum (and sold) in the last game and the other game (Rosario Vampire) You were scum and I pegged your partner Day 1. I don't understand how you could get confused about that or make such a bold statement.

Top Bottom