• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what is the most exciting thing about ssb4

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this thread is way early. This kind of discussion should wait until about a month before release, as far away as that may be.

:phone:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Arguing about it on a forum when we have pretty much no info on the game. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this thread is about two years too early.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The main thing I look forward to and I imagine many others will too is the chance at a fresh start that a new game provides. New characters, new stages, new mechanics, and a generally new game represents a new chance as players to quickly move up the pecking order (surpassing other players in skill is a lot easier when everyone has only has the game for a few weeks to say the least!), a new chance to build a community and a metagame that we can really get behind (I loved Brawl as a game but there was too much divisiveness and the rulesets got progressively worse not that the game itself made the rule situation anything but difficult), and heck just a lot of new things to toy around with. The details of how things go down are still years away as everyone says, but the newness itself is guaranteed and assuming the game isn't randomly terrible or anything (very unlikely!), that itself is probably the most exciting thing they could have.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Air Tripping and 0-frames of shield stun.
MAKE IT HAPPEN. :troll:

Also, I'm totally psyched to see Lucario get replaced by Zoroark, to see at least 5 new Mario characters, and to see a Tekken character.

And a new Coin Launcher. Because who didn't love Coin Launcher? :troll:

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
The thing i'm most excited about this game right now is to see a glimpse of a teaser/trailer. Can't really say anything else consindering we know nothing about this game.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I suppose I can contribute. Looks like this thread will be sticking around longer than I thought.

I'm most looking forward to being on Smashboards as new information is released. I avidly followed Brawl's development, but I didn't even know about Smashboards back then. Now is my chance to experience the thrill of finding out about a new character or stage alongside many people with the same interest. Before, I just checked the Dojo on my own and celebrated on my own. Now I can discuss it with the community.

Oh, and I"m also looking forward to all the noobs that will inevitably show up once info starts getting released. It's going to be so fun telling them why their ideas are impossible and/or horrible.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I suppose I can contribute. Looks like this thread will be sticking around longer than I thought.

I'm most looking forward to being on Smashboards as new information is released. I avidly followed Brawl's development, but I didn't even know about Smashboards back then. Now is my chance to experience the thrill of finding out about a new character or stage alongside many people with the same interest. Before, I just checked the Dojo on my own and celebrated on my own. Now I can discuss it with the community.

Oh, and I"m also looking forward to all the noobs that will inevitably show up once info starts getting released. It's going to be so fun telling them why their ideas are impossible and/or horrible.
I agree, I'm looking forward to finding out about new characters (although I hope they leave us some characters to discover in game). I'm also looking forward to seeing all the reactions on Smashboards so I can talk about the news with other people.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm not familiar with that phrase. What's the story with that one?
I'm just as confused as you are. If I had to guess, I think it has something to do with people confusing Assist Trophies w/ playable characters, but I'm probably wrong.

I DEMAND EXPLANATION! *throws tantrum*

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I'm just as confused as you are. If I had to guess, I think it has something to do with people confusing Assist Trophies w/ playable characters, but I'm probably wrong.

Hey...hey now, calm down. I'm sure we'll get an explanation eventually. Just calm down...we'll figure it out. Just...ah, screw it. I wanna know too! *joins in tantrum*

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero

We waited.

We waited for four hours.

We sat there waiting

and waiting

and waiting

And then we got Knuckle Joe.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
That picture isn't displaying! WAAHH!

We waited.

We waited for four hours.

We sat there waiting

and waiting

and waiting

And then we got Knuckle Joe.
Oh, I see now. I'm not really surprised. The sad part is that I can totally see it happening again.

[sarcasm]Which reminds me that I'm also looking forward to more "YOU MUST RECOVER!!1!" updates.[/sarcasm]

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Man, all this makes me wished I was on the internet when Brawl was coming out, if only so I cold get all these jokes.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
[sarcasm]Which reminds me that I'm also looking forward to more "YOU MUST RECOVER!!1!" updates.[/sarcasm]
Oh please, just wait 'till we get the update for Masterpieces 2. :troll:

Man, all this makes me wished I was on the internet when Brawl was coming out, if only so I cold get all these jokes.
The Dojo website was half of the fun with Brawl. I actually had something to look forward to on mondays.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
there's like hardly any info on the game for us to know.

only thing we can assume right now is based on a few things that sakurai said.

which is basically that he won't be the one dealing with the balance by himself anymore. and that namco, a company more familiar with fighting games, is on board with this smash.

Morin0

Smash Lord
there's like hardly any info on the game for us to know.

only thing we can assume right now is based on a few things that sakurai said.

which is basically that he won't be the one dealing with the balance by himself anymore. and that namco, a company more familiar with fighting games, is on board with this smash.
AND that there will be new characters, except they will be replacing old characters with the new characters instead of making the roster even bigger. I believe Sakurai said the roster for Brawl is enough.

As for what I am excited for, I am excited to see how the Sakurai/Namco duo will turn out. I'm also excited about any sort of teaser footage/screenshots that may come in the future

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
AND that there will be new characters, except they will be replacing old characters with the new characters instead of making the roster even bigger. I believe Sakurai said the roster for Brawl is enough.
Sakurai said that there will be new characters, but I'm not sure about him removing (m)any. You're thinking of that quote that everyone was freaking out about a while ago. While the exact meaning of the full quote is still up for debate, I don't think he's going to go on a giant cut spree.

Edit: Yay, 200 posts! I'm officially a Smash Journeyman after leaving my account inactive for four years after signing up! What an accomplishment!

Morin0

Smash Lord
Sakurai said that there will be new characters, but I'm not sure about him removing (m)any. You're thinking of that quote that everyone was freaking out about a while ago. While the exact meaning of the full quote is still up for debate, I don't think he's going to go on a giant cut spree.

Edit: Yay, 200 posts! I'm officially a Smash Journeyman after leaving my account inactive for four years after signing up! What an accomplishment!
I got my information from the Smash News link "Sakurai Confirms Appearance of New Characters" but it looks like you're right. But I don't know what else to think of as the article says that Sakurai said Brawl was the limit for the roster. If you aren't making the roster bigger, but adding new and veteran characters, then it only makes sense that there will be cuts.

So who could these new characters be? Well, back in June, Sakurai said that he is doing his best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros, suggesting that we could see some long-forgotten veterans.

Don't expect too many, though. For the Smash Bros creator has also said that his team reached the limit with Smash Bros Brawl. So any new characters may mean some old favourites being dropped from the roster.
I don't think there's much to interpret from the quote.

- Sakurai in June said he is trying to bring back veteran characters (e.g. Roy, Pichu etc)
- "Don't expect too many, though" lumps both new and veteran characters
- Sakurai said the roster limit was reached with Brawl

The only logical assumption is the last sentence of the quote. How many cuts there will be, is up in the air at this point. But who knows, maybe Sakurai will go against his word again and make the roster even bigger.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I got my information from the Smash News link "Sakurai Confirms Appearance of New Characters" but it looks like you're right. But I don't know what else to think of as the article says that Sakurai said Brawl was the limit for the roster. If you aren't making the roster bigger, but adding new and veteran characters, then it only makes sense that there will be cuts.

I don't think there's much to interpret from the quote.

- Sakurai in June said he is trying to bring back veteran characters (e.g. Roy, Pichu etc)
- "Don't expect too many, though" lumps both new and veteran characters
- Sakurai said the roster limit was reached with Brawl

The only logical assumption is the last sentence of the quote. How many cuts there will be, is up in the air at this point. But who knows, maybe Sakurai will go against his word again and make the roster even bigger.
Sakurai said:
It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.
There's the original quote. Originally, everyone was saying that this meant that new characters wouldn't be showing up. That SSB4 would have the same characters as Brawl and/or Melee, but give the game something entirely new. However, that was before the "Sakurai Confirms the Appearance of New Characters" post. So, he must be talking about cutting a lot of veterans to make room for new characters, right? That's what brings us to our discussion.

I don't personally think so. I don't think we'll be seeing that many cuts. This quote came before the reveal that Namco-Bandai was working on the game. Granted, Sakurai probably knew about their involvement before the interview, but I digress.

Let's ignore the question of whether Sakurai knew about Namdai's involvement during the interview or not. This is Namco-Bandai we're talking about. As in, Tekken. Soul Caliber. They know how to work with tons of characters. Sakurai said he won't be doing the balancing all by himself any more, so it won't be so difficult to balance a massive roster. That sounds like a decent indicator to me.

Also, as we all very well know, Sakurai is a very confusing man. Sometimes he tells the truth, sometimes he lies, and sometimes he pulls a Ben Kenobi and tells the truth "from a certain point of view." The quote could mean exactly what it says: no more than 35 characters. However, he could change his mind. He could be lying. He could also mean something entirely different.

I might be extremely optimistic. I might also be in deep denial. But I have a feeling that we'll be getting more characters than Brawl without seeing too many (if any) cuts. Namco-Bandai is great with massive rosters. Sakurai also knows that players love to have as many characters as they can get. The roster will probably only/mostly increase. That's my take on it.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Again, something around 45 characters counting transformations (a number that still seems a little generous) always made the most sense to me. Much more than that and development time gets less focused.

As for "Who could be cut?" The Brawl newcomers come to mind, so Ike, Wolf, Lucario, Lucas, and PT seem the most replaceable in favor of other reps from their series, for more diversity in the roster ("Oh, a spacie with a reflector and a blaster."), or to better represent more series from Nintendo.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
No need to remove any character, imo. Shouldn't be too exhausting to make a character you have already worked with...

As for Pichu, Roy, Doc and Mewtwo, I don't think they all should be cut off either. Pichu was a joke, but they could do something different with him. Roy was replaced with Ike so I understand that, Doc was apparently too similar to Mario, so I understand that too. But Mewtwo didn't need to sacrifice his place to Lucario.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
"Shouldn't be cut off" and "reasonable with additions to the cast" are very different things. Unless Sakurai states otherwise sometime, right now we have 'the current roster size about at its limit.'

Like I'd be fine with not adding any characters to the game at all, but I doubt most people would be.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
That's ridiculous. New characters are essential for further improvement of the game and gives more reasons to actually buy the game. I know it sounds shallow, but some people actually think that it's pointless buying a sequel with the roster intact since that would make it basically the same game as the predecessor.

Unless the developers don't change the current characters' movesets dramatically, there has to be new characters in the game, or else it'll be very difficult to create a new experience.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That's ridiculous. New characters are essential for further improvement of the game and gives more reasons to actually buy the game. I know it sounds shallow, but some people actually think that it's pointless buying a sequel with the roster intact since that would make it basically the same game as the predecessor.

Unless the developers don't change the current characters' movesets dramatically, there has to be new characters in the game, or else it'll be very difficult to create a new experience.
"That's ridiculous."

We're talking about the man who invented hitstun canceling, Ove. And as ridiculous as it is, it doesn't make it any less accurate to what the man has said.

Top Bottom