• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Localization: Something lost in translation?

Well, I think we are all aware that in translation between two languages yields results which are not 100% accurate. A word might exist in a language that does not in another. This forces a translation using a phase or group of words which doesn't fully capture the meaning unless you immersed yourself in the language and understand the subtle meanings behind words.

Even in a direct translation this is still not correct as many languages have idioms or meanings that are very far apart from their literal interpretation. For example, "Don't **** with me" if taken literally in many contexts would simply be really awkward. Yet, every time we hear it, we know not to take it literally and instead interpret it something like "do not affect my life in some negative way".

To make it worse, there is the tone of voice which can completely change the meaning of a phase and how it is received. "Thanks" said with a pleasant tone is a good thing while the same word could be said in a sarcastic tone and change the meaning all together.

With this in mind, I wonder if the Zelda Franchise has lost some sort of meaning in its elements/characters or has been heavily influenced by the localization process over the years which is why the Zelda games are the way they are now.

In recent years, it seems obvious that there are two different markets when it comes to the US and Japan in terms of video game sales. I see it frequently commented upon how sales of RPGs are more prevalent in Japan rather than the US and how something like the Xbox 360 continually lags in sales behind compared to Sony and Nintendo while in the states things like FPS are booming.

Ever since the beginning of Zelda back when the NES was around, the sale date of the game into US was only ever a year behind the Japanese release. By the time the OoT comes around, that distance was reduced to only a couple of days at the shortest, but never falling behind by more than a couple of months. However, at the Skyward Sword you see the release date in the US ahead of the Japanese release date.

Nintendo seemed more focused on developing games for the country of origin rather than outside of it at first. In recent years you see a shift and the market seems more favorable overseas than in Japan. Its because of this I wonder how the series has changed and what elements were added to accommodate those shifts. And as a part of this I wonder what cultural elements are gained and lost between this shift.

The largest example I would like to point out is perhaps the ease of how the franchise is starting out each new zelda game. In the earlier renditions, you clearly see very little aide given out to a new player. You begin a new game and you are on the go without much time spent learning how to do stuff. In the newer additions, it seems they want to ease you into the game much more slowly and even spend forever teaching you very simple things. This I think stems in part from a possible sterotype against foreigners and their abilities. Within Fire Emblem, a series developed by a group within Nintendo itself (Intelligent Systems) has very clearly added these features to those games. With the advent of FE7, the first game introduced to the states, they finally added a series of chapters designed to introduce a player to the series which is Lyn's Mode. It was developed due to the localization. In FE9, they completely removed the maniac mode from the game when it was localized to the states with the reasoning they thought gamers overseas were not that good at solving these types of games.

Its these subtle changes during localizations that can affect our gameplay, and I can only imagine how much of a dramatic effect they tend to bring to our experiences and overall perceptions of the series as a whole.

Uh... I recognize that I deviated a bit with having first brought up the translation bit, but not really giving many examples about it.

The reason for that is I cannot truly give any examples from my own experiences regarding translated script from an original game and its translated counterpart. I mainly wanted to get everyone thinking of how might a line have been changed or added due to cultural differences. I pointed out that some gameplay mechanics might have been affected by certain perceptions of foreigners, but the character of Zelda or Navi that we perceive them as in their localized state might be slightly different in the more native release.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Good dubbings don't do direct translations of the piece, instead they try and use phrases or ideas that capture the same feeling as in the original.

Anime and games are usually painfully obvious when they just use direct translations.

It IS usually a good thing when they change it from direct translations to try and capture the same idea.

Gastogh

Smash Apprentice
For anyone curious about the details of what may have been "lost" in the localization of the games, see here for a taste. There isn't a whole lot by way of guarantees that the people responsible for the retranslations there are any better at translating Japanese than the NoA team, of course, but it's one place to look if you're out for an alternative view.

I've only looked at a dozen or so of the links you'll see there (plus some other sources), but IMO NoA has done a better or equally good job in ~95% of all comparisons I've seen. It's pretty much put my fears to rest on the translation front; NoA gets no end of **** from people who'd prefer stiff, literal translations to idiomatic English and I was glad to see they know what they're doing.

The reason for that is I cannot truly give any examples from my own experiences regarding translated script from an original game and its translated counterpart. I mainly wanted to get everyone thinking of how might a line have been changed or added due to cultural differences. I pointed out that some gameplay mechanics might have been affected by certain perceptions of foreigners, but the character of Zelda or Navi that we perceive them as in their localized state might be slightly different in the more native release.
Should the bolded part be "localized"?

As to your main point, I for one don't much care what may or may not have been lost in translation when it comes to the Zelda games. The connections between individual games are pretty much a bad joke, a painfully ill-fitting puzzle that Nintendo might as well not have bothered with at all (beyond obvious and immediate connections like MM and OoT). The setting is full of holes and handwaving and with the way the writers treat the overall narrative of the series, the people responsible for continuity might as well be fired and replaced with windshield wipers.

I honestly don't care what some Japanese version said or didn't say because the English versions I've seen so far have been enjoyable experiences. What's more, they've been self-contained and I haven't been left feeling like I need to learn Japanese to know what was lost. Some characters etc. may indeed have been different, but... Is there anything actually wrong with them in the English version?

In brief: the translated and localized versions may be different, but I've yet to see any reason to think they're substantially worse for these differences.

Top Bottom