• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our Expectations.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Hey, guys. How is everyone? Great? Good?
Depressed?
Well, the recent few topics I've seen have been of a mostly despondent vein, many of them asking, by my perception, useless questions, and serving paranoid ends, fears abounding, high-strung hatred, debate turned arguing.
What will Smash 4 be like?
What won't Smash 4 be like?

Purposed as a paltry pharmaceutical, it has turned into a plague more pallid than that which it is purported to prevent.

So, as a hopeful antigen let me express to you what I expect from Smash 4.

I do not expect. I do not expect Smash 4 to be a casual festive, I do not expect Smash 4 to be a more competitively oriented game. I do not expect it to make anyone angry, or sad, or hurt one community, or revile another. I do not even expect it to be a game, I'd sooner expect it to be a novel. I have no worries, I have no fears, I have no anger or resentment, I have no wants, nothing.

But I do have one thing; Hope.

I have hope that this game will exist, I have hope that I will have fun, and I will, that is indisputable.
Throw away your despair and distaste and revulsion, though it may have merit and may be based on what Sakurai or anyone said or will say or is saying, it is useless to pine and whine and grumble, to shuffle our feet with our heads hung low, dragging chains.

Be at peace, lest ye fall prey to the same infection.
Have hope, have joy that Smash 4 will even exist!

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I expect, Mega Man to be in! I will be shocked if he isn't.

And as far as gameplay, I think it'll be like Brawl still. They won't go back to Melee's super competitiveness. Regardless, I'm thrilled it's even coming out.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Simply, I have no expectation for Smash Bros 4 because I already got burned by Brawl. It's my fault that I got too hyped for Brawl. This time, it will not happens again!

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I am just glad we're getting another instalment of the series.

Every Smash Bros game is incredible, some have a favourite (this site's consensus is Melee) but each offered something incredible for the time they were released.

They expanded on so many game play modes throughout the series so it's crazy to think how they are going to add to them for this game. And what else they can add to it for our enjoyment.

The problem with Brawl's release was that everyone had ridiculously high expectations for it and with the Dojo updates they weren't really surprised by anything. And were left disappointed that their dream roster wasn't included.

This is going to happen with the 4th instalment no matter what. People already have their dream rosters, convinced that Mega Man and King K. Rool are 100% going to be in it, and hope for a more Melee related gameplay.

I've learned to not let myself fantasize about my dream game, because that just ruins the experience when it releases and it's not exactly what I wanted. I'm going to just enjoy the game for what it is.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This is going to happen with the 4th instalment no matter what. People already have their dream rosters, convinced that Mega Man and King K. Rool are 100% going to be in it, and hope for a more Melee related gameplay.

I've learned to not let myself fantasize about my dream game, because that just ruins the experience when it releases and it's not exactly what I wanted. I'm going to just enjoy the game for what it is.
I'm not sure in the case of most of us it's "fantasizing about our dream game". Especially those of us from the Pre-Brawl days learned to temper our expectations and try and think outside the box again.

King K. Rool was highly requested then, but not as much as Diddy; considering the large number of highly-requested characters that did make it in (i.e. Dedede, MK, Wario, Diddy, Ike, Wolf), it's not implausible that Nintendo 1st party characters at least, like Mac, and K. Rool, and Ridley are shoe-in characters. 100% is never a good estimate, but people are going to make their own rosters because it's fun and helps with their own personal hype.

If the game had no characters that anyone wanted, it wouldn't be played.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I won't expect anything specific... More characters, more stages, more items, more game modes, more trophies, more songs. That's it.

:phone:

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
I expect it to be amazing and huge. And I'm pretty sure it will be. I have only one problem with third parties, since I want Sonic and Snake to stay and maybe some character to join (not only from Bamco), but I'm not sure how it will work out.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not having very high expectations for this game either. The only time when I got REALLY hyped during Brawl was when I found out my most wanted character (Toon Link) made it in.

The same thing will be with me and Smash 4. I will anticipate, speculate etc. But I won't be very hyped until I see one of my most wanted characters in there (Mewtwo, Toon Link and/or Professor Layton. Having at least one of them in will get me hyped)

But no, I'm not going to expect massive things because your just asking for disappointment then.

As for the game itself. All they should try to do is put the best thing's of all three games into one, expand and improve on things that felt a little underwhelming or lacking, add some new thing's and mechanics to give the game its own flavour, remove anything that people weren't happy with (eg. random tripping) and it should be just fine. (at least to me it will...)

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
"it will be fun and satisfying because it's Smash Bros! You should be GRATEFUL Sakurai is even working on it! ALL HAIL NINTENDO!!"

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
personally i'll be happy with just a new smash game

and it's easy enough to ignore the whiners

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My expectations:

-This **** better be worth buying a Wii U for.
-Nothing.
- :awesome:

Vkrm

Smash Lord
"it will be fun and satisfying because it's Smash Bros! You should be GRATEFUL Sakurai is even working on it! ALL HAIL NINTENDO!!"
I don't think you understand how business to consumer relations work. Sakurai isn't making smash 4 out of the kindness of his heart. I have nothing to be grateful for anyway. The most generous thing he could do is leave and let somebody who has beliefs on competitive gaming that are consistent with reality takeover and fix his mess.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you understand how business to consumer relations work. Sakurai isn't making smash 4 out of the kindness of his heart. I have nothing to be grateful for anyway. The most generous thing he could do is leave and let somebody who has beliefs on competitive gaming that are consistent with reality takeover and fix his mess.

Maybe that wasn't clear enough, but my post was sarcastic, man. I was paraphrasing people like the opening poster that actually believe that crap.

As for my expectations, I expect this game to be shallow and simplistic like most of Nintendo's recent productions.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I can't really place any expectations without seeing anything of the game. All I can say is what I would like.

• At least consider other fighting game mechanics.
  • Streamline and expand on certain mechanics.
  • Balance and diversify the roster.
  • Less random and gimmicky moves and stages.
  • An option to turn off hazards.
  • Take both high and low level of play into consideration when making the game.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
My expectations at the moment:

-A stamina mechanic akin to Kid Icarus is implemented in place of tripping to "deter" players from "overusing" their dash.

-Or a stamina mechanic akin to Pokemon Trainer is implemented universally to keep games artificially closer. Players that have lived for too long have their attack power lowered and this ends up creating more stamina-specific infinites as a consequence.

-Every move is poor enough on shield for the shield to drop and be punished even with spacing because that's just a strategy that is too hard for some players to get, but shielding is intuitive and easy to get a hang of.

-To "balance" the stronger shields, they now have only 20 health, but no moves cause shield damage so that only equates to how long the shield can be held out.

-The roster is about 35-40 characters on the CSS; that is to say, not counting transformations.

-Disappointed by how Subspace Emissary was received, Sakurai devotes 80% of dev time to creating a larger, longer, and more time consuming story mode to emphasize the plot of the game

-Of the 5-10 new characters, Sakurai includes three he made himself, Hades, Magnus, and Waddle Dee.

-Online has a better netcode to lower the ping

-To increase longevity (because Fox and Ike and Link are sooo broken in Brawl), momentum canceling is now automatic, with no need to initiate an aerial or air dodge before hand. You can now immediately start fighting back against knockback and moves are now -5f on hit.

-Gameplay options such as Item Switch, random stage select, damage ratio, etc. are removed or otherwise not expanded upon.

Until I see otherwise, I'm preparing for the worst of it.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Maybe that wasn't clear enough, but my post was sarcastic, man. I was paraphrasing people like the opening poster that actually believe that crap.

As for my expectations, I expect this game to be shallow and simplistic like most of Nintendo's recent productions.
Crap.... Got baited.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Considering the makers of tekken are helping with it, despite sakurai helping with coding this time instead of supervising, i kind of expect the game to end up more grounded like a traditional fighter. Probably end up a bit slower. It's definitely gonna be different in the same sense that brawl was different. Different devs mean different results. Brawl was floaty, hardly any combos, Im betting ssb4 will end up with traditional fighter exploits like more buffers, wakeup abuse etc.

I wont play it if it's not a smash game by any traditional means

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My expectations at the moment:

-A stamina mechanic akin to Kid Icarus is implemented in place of tripping to "deter" players from "overusing" their dash.

-Or a stamina mechanic akin to Pokemon Trainer is implemented universally to keep games artificially closer. Players that have lived for too long have their attack power lowered and this ends up creating more stamina-specific infinites as a consequence.

-Every move is poor enough on shield for the shield to drop and be punished even with spacing because that's just a strategy that is too hard for some players to get, but shielding is intuitive and easy to get a hang of.

-To "balance" the stronger shields, they now have only 20 health, but no moves cause shield damage so that only equates to how long the shield can be held out.

-The roster is about 35-40 characters on the CSS; that is to say, not counting transformations.

-Disappointed by how Subspace Emissary was received, Sakurai devotes 80% of dev time to creating a larger, longer, and more time consuming story mode to emphasize the plot of the game

-Of the 5-10 new characters, Sakurai includes three he made himself, Hades, Magnus, and Waddle Dee.

-Online has a better netcode to lower the ping

-To increase longevity (because Fox and Ike and Link are sooo broken in Brawl), momentum canceling is now automatic, with no need to initiate an aerial or air dodge before hand. You can now immediately start fighting back against knockback and moves are now -5f on hit.

-Gameplay options such as Item Switch, random stage select, damage ratio, etc. are removed or otherwise not expanded upon.

Until I see otherwise, I'm preparing for the worst of it.
Isn't that a bit too pessimistic?

El Duderino

Smash Ace
The saddest part of this prediction is how dash dancing's prevelance more or less peaked around the time Brawl hit. I really hope they make changing directions responsive again, but I'm not counting on it.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I am 100% calling that there will be at the very least running stamina if not universal PT stamina.

If I'm wrong hey that's great but it is entirely possible and something very much in line with Sakurai's design mentality.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I still don't get why there was a running stamina in Uprising OR Skyward Sword.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I blame Nintendo for paving the hype road for us to drive on when Brawl was being made.

For feeding the hype cow and implying that the Brawl steak was going to be delicious.

For hosting the hype contest and promising the mystery reward was going to be incredible.

Never again.

Although I'm getting it and hoping a competitive scene develops.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Personally I'm fine with Uprising's stamina mechanic, except in single player. Is a good nerf for those who abuse defense and speed mods online by forcing them to run stamina powers. Honestly I've found a way around the stamina by dashing then stopping, and as soon as the stopping animation occurs, start dashing again. I've made it across an arena in record time without having to rest or sacrificing my speed/dodging ability. Overall I like that it forces me to play smart and conservatively.

Anyway after Brawl and Uprising I'm pretty optimistic, especially now that Sakurai has a much more experienced team behind him (though I'm still not interested in what Namco has to offer character wise). Don't really care what they do gameplay wise as long as it's not hard to pick up or is 64/Melee/Brawl 2.0. Content wise, am really only expecting the standard stuff and better online with more options.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
I am 100% calling that there will be at the very least running stamina if not universal PT stamina.
Not if the Higuchi and the Tekken staff members stap some mad sense into him. I can only imagine the universal fan backlash if every character grew lethargic like Pokemon trainer.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I expect at least 50 playable chars, a decent stage construction kit and a story mode worth to be played again, and again. and again...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well now you're just setting yourself up for dissapoinment. I don't see us getting more than 10 or so newcomers this time around.
Well, if you count all three Pokemon, ZSS and Sheik as seperate, that's still 49, so it's close...ish.

Yeah!

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That is assuming that there will only be characters added and none removed.

Not if the Higuchi and the Tekken staff members stap some mad sense into him. I can only imagine the universal fan backlash if every character grew lethargic like Pokemon trainer.
I can only hope that the Namco team involved has that kind of say, but in the end it is still very much Sakurai at the head of development, and his direction is something fairly adamant, with his oft repeated statements regarding wanting to make Smash "bring together longtime players and new faces on the same competitive level."

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, yeah, but I don't see more than one or two cuts. Quite frankly I think every character in Brawl should stay, and there aren't a lot of potential necomers who I'd say are important enough to warrant curring vets.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I can only hope that the Namco team involved has that kind of say, but in the end it is still very much Sakurai at the head of development, and his direction is something fairly adamant, with his oft repeated statements regarding wanting to make Smash "bring together longtime players and new faces on the same competitive level."
With the resentment over Mewtwo's removal, I doubt they'll repeat that mistake.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Some of us are still missing the point. With my philosophy it is impossible to lose, as FalKoopa said.
"Everyone's abiding by this:
Don't expect anything and be happy."

The crux of this is not only will you lose nothing, but as opposed to the other camp which is "Expect the worst and be a grumpypants" you do not negatively impact anyone else at all. The negative Nancies/Neds are what I'm really hatin' on.

Did I say we should be gracious to Sakurai-San or Nintendo? No, I merely said expect nothing, the 'be joyous and peaceful' stuff was more a chi inner balance internal peace thing, which benefits the user of no expectations greatly by still having the ability to get hype, come what may, without making yourself bummed if hype turns out not to be. I did not say 'Get Hype' either, though if you want to, that's fine, it doesn't really adversely affect others.
This isn't a Nihilist 'man it doesn't matter just whatever' thread, but rather it's a 'take it as it comes and don't worry if it doesn't work out, and stop being a negative poopyface, stop looking to the past or the future.'

It's like having a cake, eating it, and avoiding it being smashed in your face all at the same time.

Top Bottom