• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Mafia - Game Over!

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos

[collapse=Rules:]
Fundamentals
1.) The Govan rule; treat others how I want you to treat them.
2.) Once you have died in the game, you are only allowed to make 1 more post which should consist of “bah go scum/town”.
3.) No communication about this game is allowed with non-players or players who are dead, even if you yourself are dead. (If you are dead, you may not discuss the game with anyone who is currently playing, even if you could while you were alive, unless your role specifically states otherwise.)
4.) Unless your role PM specifically allows you the power, you are not to communicate with anyone about this game outside of this game thread. This includes posting content outside of the game thread and linking to it in the game thread.
5.) Do not edit your posts. Double posting is fine in its place.
6.) I reserve the right to deny anyone from signing up/replacing.
7.) You are not allowed to quote any mod communication of any kind, real or fake. You must paraphrase all information you wish to claim. This includes any additional PMs I may send to you outside of your role PM. You are not allowed to post or refer to any images in your role PM, nor may you post metadata about mod PMs in an attempt to break the game (e.g., message ID in the URL, time of day the message was sent, etc.).
8.) You may not post screenshots of any kind.
9.) The use of non-English, invisible, hidden, coded, or otherwise intentionally hidden or indecipherable text is strictly prohibited. (Spoiler tags are allowed because they are easily noticeable. This rule is not meant to disallow breadcrumbing within the visible text of a message.)
10.) You may not quote logs of communication with other players. You are free to paraphrase.
11.) Failure to send in your night action(s) will result in no action(s) being taken.
12.) Failure to adhere to the rules will result in replacement or modkill based on my discretion.

Voting and Lynching
1.) Each Day, you may vote for a player to be lynched using a bold vote command. For example, vote: Kuz.
2.) To unvote, use the command unvote. For example, unvote vote: Ryker.
3.) You do not have to unvote before voting another player.
4.) No lynch is a viable lynch choice and a majority will end the Day without a lynch. For example, vote: No Lynch.
5.) After the majority lynch has been decided but before the lynch scene is posted, there will be a Twilight phase. Everyone can post in this phase, including the lynch majority target. The Twilight phase is 24 hours long.
6.) The Day will end when a majority lynch is decided or a preset deadline has been reached. If deadline is reached without a majority lynch decided, there will be no lynch.
7.) There is no posting in this thread during the Night phase, the thread should be closed anyway.

Activity and Deadline
1.) You are required to post every 48 hours. If you fail to do so, you will be prodded. An accumulation of too many prods (however much I think that is) will result in your replacement or a modkill depending on the circumstances. When feasible, I will tell you if I'm considering replacing/modkilling you if feasible. If you will be inactive for an extended period of time, you must notify me in advance. Unexcused or particularly long absences may result in your replacement or modkill.
2.) I do not expect to grant deadline extensions, barring extenuating circumstances. In the event I need to replace a player, I may extend the deadline to accommodate the new player. Certain game events may also result in a change of deadline.
3.) Days will generally last 10 days.
4.) Nights will generally last approximately 48 hours. If you have a Night action and do not wish to use it, please send me a PM to that effect, lest I have to wait until the deadline for naught.
5.) Hydras most post on their accounts. If they do not they, that hydra's next post must be a copy + paste of their previous post or else it will receive a mod vote. All mod votes accumulated from breaking this rule will reset during the next day phase.

Game-specific
1.) The game mod is the game god. However, if you feel the game god happens to be testing your faith by placing an error in the game, then please feel free to point it out via PM
2.) All roles are assigned entirely at random.
3.) Modkills only end days if the player being modkilled is town-aligned. Otherwise, day continues. In the event that a player is modkilled during twilight/night, the modkill will affect the next day phase (meaning that day would automatically end if the player is town and that day would continue as normal if otherwise). Exceptions to this rule may be made based on the state of the game and my personal judgment.
4.) All of these rules are written on a dry erase board. In the event of a conflict between these rules and any game-specific rules or mod communication, the game-specific rules/mod communication take precedence. [/collapse]

[Collapse=Sample Role PM]

Welcome to Final Fantasy Tactics Mafia, (name). You are a Chocobo! You've been in every game!

(passive) Flight: Each Night, you may take yourself and another player out of the game for that Night phase.

Restrictions:
You have to post all your text in iambic pentameter.

Win Condition:
You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town have been eliminated or nothing can prevent this or maybe if everyone else gets modkilled for posting out of hydra.
[/collapse]

[Collapse=Player List]
1. Nameless (marshy/Sworddancer.)
2. Raziek
3. Ryker
4. WashedLaundry
5. Detective Sherlock Hound (Joey/Red Ruy)
6. J
7. Gorf
8. Dabuz
9. LBScary59
10. Town PR (Glyph/Ranmaru)
11. Jdietz43
12. Gheb_01
13. Nabe
14. Vult Redux

-Replacements-
1. Acrostic
[/Collapse]

Special Credits go to Overswarm for designing all of the roles and writing most of the text.

Last edited:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Everyone will be receiving a role PM. Some may get a “class” in their role, or part of a class, chosen for them. Those who have a “blank” role PM will be able to choose two classes, a Level 1 and a Level 2. You may choose the same class twice. Those will be your abilities for the game, and these abilities will be privately given to you. Your role will then be named after your roles chosen (e.g., Overswarm, Archer/Samurai) for all intents and purposes, with the first being your level 1 and second being level 2. In case of only one class being chosen, only one may be used.

Many of the classes have restrictions. While you can have multiple restrictions, the same restriction would not stack if it came from the same role (i.e., if you take one less vote to lynch for being a class and you choose that class twice, you would still only take one less vote to lynch, not two. However, if the same restriction came from two roles you would get two copies of that restriction).

Choose carefully. Unless you have a quicktopic for this purpose you are unable to discuss with anyone what role choices you are considering. So, don’t do that.

When sending these, please name the role PM "Final Fantasy Tactics Mafia Roles" and plainly list them as "Lv. 1 : (name of role and ability)" and "Lv. 2: (name of role and ability)". I want to be able to copy/paste them for easy review.

Ditto with future Night actions. "FF Tactics Mafia N1 Actions" (N2, N3, N4, etc.) with abilities you're using plainly stated. I got a lot of PMs in previous games from people telling me what they were doing in prose. >:\

I apologize in advance for any odd wording or typos or other mistakes in the below roles; there's a lot to keep straight in my head here, so feel free to PM me any questions you may have. If you see something that's seems too good to be true, it probably is; PM me before you think you've found a way to "break the game" or you might get egg on your face.

Roles to choose from for players:

1. Gadgeteer – (does not get a second class)

Pandoras Box – Choose one of the abilities below. Then choose 3, 4, or 5. Any player with whos last post is evenly divisible by the number you selected will be targeted. You can be affected by this ability. You cannot use the same chosen ability two nights in a row.

Silence- Target player cannot use any active ability that Night and will effectively be roleblocked (as this is simultaneous, your ability still goes through even if you are roleblocked).

Green Gear – Target player who uses an active ability that Night will be affected by the poison and cannot vote the following Day. It will be announced publicly that they have been poisoned and cannot vote. Should a majority of players not be able to vote, or through use of their abilities gain a lynch, the Day will immediately end in a No Lynch.

Silver Disc – Target player will not receive the results of their actions from that Night phase if they normally would. They will be notified they were blinded.

Chroma Gem – Target player’s ability will go last in the Night Action Resolution. If multiple players have this ability used on them, they will follow the NAR as normal for that group of abilities, then the non-slowed abilities will go.

Red Spring – Target player’s ability will go first in the Night Action Resolution. If multiple players have this ability used on them, they will follow the NAR as normal for that group of abilities, then the non-hasted abilities will go.

These count as global abilities.

Restriction – Gadgeteers take one less to lynch.

2. Dragoon–

Lv.1 Dragonheart - One shot ability, succeed or fail. You may use this ability during the Night phase. If you are night killed that night, the kill will go through but you will be revived at the end of the night. You cannot be affected by any actions after being killed, and your death and revival will not be shown to the public.

Lv 2. Jump – Unless there has been a change to the NAR, this ability is the first ability in the NAR. You will leave the playing field for that Night and any actions affecting you will fail. You cannot use any other abilities when using this ability. You don't kill anyone when you land the next Night phase, sorry. But I mean can you IMAGINE? A game with that many delayed vigilantes?!
You do NOT leave the playing field for the Day phase; you can still vote and all that and be affected by Day abilities. You jump on N1, you land on N2. You cannot jump two Nights in a row, to clarify.

3. Ninja –

Lv. 1 Unspell - Choose target player. Any abilities that they use that night will not affect you.

(passive) Lv. 2 Last Haste – If affected by any ability, the following Night you will not be able to be affected by any ability; this is including Night Kills. This does NOT include global abilities; ie target all or abilities that target yourself.

Ninja Restriction- You most post at least 20 times during the day phase. If you don't you will be killed at the start of the Night phase, before night actions are sent in. This will be posted publicly. The lynched player does not count as surviving.

4. Priest –

You may only use one of these abilities per Night; you cannot use reflect and protect in the same Night Phase.

Lv. 1 Reflect – Choose a target player. Any abilities used on that player for that Night will instead be used on the player that targeted him. This does not include factional Night Kills. You may not use Reflect on yourself. Should a player be hit with reflect an even number of times (2, 4, 6, etc.,) in one Night, the reflection will cancel (not be bounced back).

Lv. 2 Protect – Choose a target player. That player cannot be killed that Night. You may not Protect yourself. You may not protect the same person two nights in a row. Should a player be protected with this ability an even number of times (2, 4, 6, etc.) in one Night, the protection will fail.
Priest restriction - unless an ability forces you to, you cannot cast the hammer vote. Any attempt to do so will fail and you will be given a MOD vote.

5. Time Mage – The time mage gets both Lv. 1 abilities if you gain any level 1 Time Mage ability.

Lv. 1 Stop - One shot ability. Choose target player during the Night phase. They will be roleblocked and voteblocked for the NEXT night/day phase. They will be notified.

Lv. 1 Haste – One shot ability. Target player’s ability will go first in the Night Action Resolution. If multiple players have this ability used on them, they will follow the NAR as normal for that group of abilities, then the non-hasted abilities will go.

Lv. 2 Quick – Choose a player. They will be given the ability to use an ability of their choice twice the next Night phase, including one-shot abilities (it will still count as a use, and they must have at least one use left to use the ability). You may not choose yourself. This ability may only be used once.

6. Thief –

(passive) Lv. 1 Steal Ability – If you are on a lynch of a player, you will receive their last used active ability during the next Night phase only. You cannot receive passive abilities, and any abilities that have limited uses will be given to you with the same limitations in mind; if you gain a one-shot ability that has been used, there will be 0 uses left. You cannot obtain Factional Night kills. Should multiple thieves with this ability be used, the one closest to the hammer will steal the last used active ability, then the next closest to the hammer will steal the active ability used after that, so on until there are no more active abilities left to steal.

Lv. 2 Steal Heart – Choose target player, then choose a victim. The following day, the target player must vote for the victim of your choosing or not vote at all. Multiple uses of this ability or any like it on the same Night phase will allow the player affected to choose between the victims given to him.
Restriction: Any abilities used on you to protect you from Night Kills will fail.

7. Templar -

(passive) Lv. 1 Astra - The first ability used on you in the NAR after this ability goes through will fail, regardless of its source.

(passive) Lv. 2 Cheer - Each of your votes counts as two votes. This will be indicated on the votecount. Note: If there are any mistakes in the votecount that result in an accidental lynch that involves this ability, the lynch will not count and the votecount will be rectified and the game will continue as normal.

Restriction: Should you be on the lynch of a townie, you will be voteblocked the following Day phase.

8. Summoner -

Lv 1. Carbuncle - One shot ability. Choose 3 target players; Any abilities used on that player for that Night will instead be used on the player that targeted him. This does not include factional Night Kills. You may not use Carbunkle on yourself.

Lv. 2 Phoenix- One shot ability. Choose three players. They cannot be NKilled this night; they will be considered bulletproof. You cannot use Phoenix on yourself.
Restriction: The Summoner cannot use any other abilities when using a Summon ability, including multiple uses of the same ability, and takes one less vote to lynch (minimum of one vote to lynch)

9. Illusionist -

Lv1. Prominence - Every player including yourself will take one less to lynch the next day. This cannot go below one to lynch. You may not use any other abilities while using this skill. This is a global effect and does not target an individual player.

Lv2. Wild Tornado - Anyone who uses an ability (not including global abilities) on you will take two less to lynch the next day. This cannot go below one to lynch. You may not use any other abilities while using this skill. This is a global effect and does not target an individual player.

Restriction: The Illusionist cannot be the opening vote on a player. If they attempt to do so, they will receive a MOD vote and the vote will not register.

10. Sage -

Lv. 1 Sage Blind - Choose two players. Target players cannot use any active ability that Night and will effectively be roleblocked.

Lv. 2 Drain – Choose a player. That player will take one less to lynch the following Day phase and you will take one more to lynch the following Day phase. This will be publicly noted.

Sage restriction - You may only use abilities on players who were on a successful lynch at the end of the previous Day phase. Those "Not Voting" or voting for a non-lynched player for any reason cannot be targeted directly by you.

11. Assassin -

Lv. 1 Return Fire - One shot ability. When using this ability, anyone targeting you with an ability CANNOT be Night Killed. You may still be Night Killed.

Lv. 2 Last Breath – One shot ability. Choose target player. This will count as a NKill and you will die if your target dies from this ability. You will not be notified of its success in any way; the only way you know you succeeded or failed is if you are alive. You can only use this ability on even numbered nights, and cannot use it when using other abilities. This ability will only go through if you are alive; if you are NKilled prior to the ability going through, your kill will not go through. Any sort of bulletproof status cannot protect you from killing yourself with this ability.

Assassin Restriction - The Assassin is voteblocked the following Day phase whenever he uses a Assassin ability.

12. Blue Mage (no second class)

Learning - Choose two target players. The first player you will mimic, using the same abilities they use (any and all, excluding Killing abilities) on the second targeted player (if it is not a targeted ability, it will still be used globally or individually). You will not be notified what ability or abilities you are using.

13. Soldier

(passive) Lv. 1 Sensor - You cannot be roleblocked or redirected by other players’ abilities.

(passive) Lv. 2 First Aid - Should you be NKilled on N1 or N2, the NKill will fail and you will be voteblocked/roleblocked the following Day phase. Daykills will still work.
Restriction - You must be on a successful lynch every day. Should you not be on a successful lynch at the end of the Day phase you will lose your Soldier abilities. This still occurs during a No Lynch but does not occur if a Day phase ends for any reason other than a lynch (mod kill, special phases, etc.)

14. Archer

Lv. 1 Boost - Choose a night phase. Your ability will go through on that Night Phase, even if you died prior. For all intents and purposes the ability will be "used" on that Night, but any prevention of that ability would need to occur on the Night Boost is used.

(passive) Lv. 2 Concentrate - If you had at least four votes on you (not including MOD votes) at the end of the previous Day phase, that night you may use any ability twice. This does NOT include one shot abilities or Killing abilities, regardless of uses left.

15. White Monk

Lv. 1 Reflex - Two uses only. Anyone who targets you with an ability the Night you use this ability will be roleblocked the next Night Phase.

(passive) Lv. 2 Counter -One use only, passive. If someone tries to kill you during the Night phase, they will be roleblocked that Night AFTER the kill should have affected you. You will be killed. Any abilities used prior to the NKill will still go through.

16. Alchemist

Lv. 1 Bio – Target player who successfully uses an active ability that Night will be affected by the poison and cannot vote the following Day. It will be announced publicly that they have been poisoned and cannot vote. Should a majority of players not be able to vote, or through use of their abilities gain a lynch, the Day will immediately end in a No Lynch.

Lv. 2 Return Magic - Should an active ability be used on you (not including global abilities), the same ability will be used on the person that used it on you. It will still come from the original source, so any results that would normally be given will be given to them. This does not include Factional Night kills. Some abilities may not be reflected for various reasons. The original ability will still affect you. The ability will not be reflected if you die before you can use this ability.

17. Defender

Lv. 1 Aura- Choose target player. Should they be affected by any active ability, you will be affected by it instead. This includes Factional Night kills. Please note that this does not count as a redirect but rather you “taking their place”; as such if you are killed any other abilities will continue to hit the normal target. This does not protect against global abilities.

Lv. 2 Expert Guard – One shot ability. The Night you use this you cannot be killed by a Night Action and will be unlynchable the next day. Should you be hit with multiple Night Kill Actions in one Night, you will die as your Bulletproof status is one-shot. Should any special lynch activities appear, such as two people being lynched in one day, you may be lynched in the new lynch scene.

18. Gunner

Lv. 1 Scareshot - During the day phase, choose two target players. Player A will take one vote less to lynch if they are voting for Player B. It will be privately noted that you scared the player. You cannot use this and Charmshot in the same Day phase.

Lv. 2 Charmshot - During the day phase, choose two target players. Player A will become a double voter if they are voting for Player B. It will be privately noted that you send charm to the player. You cannot use this and Scareshot in the same Day phase.

Restriction: The Gunner cannot use any Killing abilities nor be protected from Night Kills. This overrules any bulletproof ability you may have.

Last edited:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Go ahead and start looking at roles you might want! They've been reworded to fit the Advance flavor!

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
They be mighty numerous it seems.

I hope OS doesn't have any kind of advantage from writing these, though if we can see them all: he shouldn't

(Aka he better not know the non-listed roles as well lol)

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Question: Unless specifically stated are we allowed to use both a lvl 1 and a lvl 2 ability in the same night? The dragoon lvl 2 restriction seems to imply so but I want to make sure

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Request shorter Day phases.

10 days is too much imo. 7 is better.

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
@mod

SWF no longer keeps track of the amount of posts afaik. Can you confirm that you are going to be able to keep track of them re: the Ninja's restriction?

:059:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Yes, I am unfortunately going to have to manually count how many posts a player has made.

:(

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Mod: If the lynched player used two active abilities in the same night before being lynched, how will the thief's lvl 1 ability be determined? And when you talk about multiple thieves on the lynch I assume you mean they'd get the abilities used previously instead of after? (as a dead player shouldn't be using abilities from then on out)

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
If two active abilities are used; whichever one is last in the NAR will be obtained.

Yes; it says the last action they used.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I ask because the wording was "ability used after that" instead of "used before that".

@Mod: Do the Summoner abilities and the similar abilities of the Priest counteract as multiple Priest Reflects/Protects would, or do Summoner abilities always function regardless of multiple use?

(I know, I know I just won't stop with the pestering questions lol, but I gotta be crystal on all of this if I'm going to decide what to pick and how to play)

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I ask because the wording was "ability used after that" instead of "used before that".

@Mod: Do the Summoner abilities and the similar abilities of the Priest counteract as multiple Priest Reflects/Protects would, or do Summoner abilities always function regardless of multiple use?

(I know, I know I just won't stop with the pestering questions lol, but I gotta be crystal on all of this if I'm going to decide what to pick and how to play)
I don't understand the question. You can't use other abilities if you use a summoner ability.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Oh, that reminds me. Since I have to keep track of post count; hydra posts will be VERY STRICTLY enforced with modvotes for posting off hydra.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't understand the question. You can't use other abilities if you use a summoner ability.
I'm making sure they do not interact with the Priest abilities in any way despite their similar function and/or do not counteract themselves if multiple Summoners target the same people as Priest abilities do.

Also verify that "White Mage restrictions" are for Priests and "Samurai restrictions" are for Assassins?

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Yeah; I mean that's what I'm expecting everyone to do anyways.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Mod: Hi, it's me again.

Just so I'm clear: when we choose our "level 2" class we're only getting the level 2 abilities of that class, right? To get both we'd have to pick the same class as both level 1 and 2 choices?

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kk, I feel bad for asking so many questions, but they have to be asked.

And I'm assuming the answer to the Summoner/Priest question was "they don't interact in any way"?

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I don't know what you mean.

For example, are you asking what happens if someone gets Protected and Phoenixed on the same night?

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Then they get Phoenixed twice. Abilities don't cancel out unless otherwise stated.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just making sure. There's a lot to this list after all.

@Mod:
Last round of questions I swearz

• Does Gadgeteer's Silence stop the targets from using factional nightkills?
  • Can you place delayed kills with the Archer's Boost ability? (and verify that reference to "Charge" really means Boost)
  • Does Sage's Blind stop the targets from using factional nightkills?
  • Are the Illusionist's "one less to lynch" effects announced publicly at the start of a day phase?
  • Does the Time Mage's Stop ability prevent the target from using factional nightkills?
  • Can you use the Time Mage's Quick ability to double factional nightkills?

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gadgeteer has no silence
Is the underlined a typo then?

1. Gadgeteer – (does not get a second class)

Pandoras Box – Choose one of the abilities below. Then choose 3, 4, or 5. Any player with whos last post is evenly divisible by the number you selected will be targeted. You can be affected by this ability. You cannot use the same chosen ability two nights in a row.
Silence- Target player cannot use any active ability that Night and will effectively be roleblocked (as this is simultaneous, your ability still goes through even if you are roleblocked).

Green Gear – Target player who uses an active ability that Night will be affected by the poison and cannot vote the following Day. It will be announced publicly that they have been poisoned and cannot vote. Should a majority of players not be able to vote, or through use of their abilities gain a lynch, the Day will immediately end in a No Lynch.

Silver Disc – Target player will not receive the results of their actions from that Night phase if they normally would. They will be notified they were blinded.

Chroma Gem – Target player’s ability will go last in the Night Action Resolution. If multiple players have this ability used on them, they will follow the NAR as normal for that group of abilities, then the non-slowed abilities will go.

Red Spring – Target player’s ability will go first in the Night Action Resolution. If multiple players have this ability used on them, they will follow the NAR as normal for that group of abilities, then the non-hasted abilities will go.

Also confirm that the White Monk's Level 1 Reflex ability roleblocks only during the day?

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kk I'm done now.

Hopefully that tirade just answered everyone else's questions though.

(watch, now that I asked all these clarifications on classes and stuff I'll get a role where I don't pick any of those)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Subscribing. I'm going to read over this and send you a PM if I see anything glaring Gova; I have a pretty good understanding of all of my roles.

Note to other players: I have no idea what, if any, non-listed roles are in this game. I did not give Gova my NAR prior to this setup so I have absolutely no idea (at least not more than you) on how night actions would be resolved. The only special information I have is my experience and hypothesizing when creating the original game.

I would also request that...

Anyone with a question on how a role works should ask it ASAP.

This is a very complicated game and one of the bigger headaches in my mafia history. It's a huge huge undertaking for a mod and Gova will have a lot of unique questions coming his way. Do everyone a favor and double check to make sure there are no glaring mistakes!

Top Bottom