• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Montage for Roy Mains (Why do main him?)

MankeyShank

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHXZdR9uyEs

Roy was my childhood favorite Smash character during the Gamecube days (I was 6-10 years old during those days). I played Roy all the back then, which annoyed the crap out of my brothers, who perceived Roy as "cheap" because of his long range (we were casuals, we didn't know this competitive crap back then). Years later, I played Melee for the first time in a long while, and tried out Roy again, and my god, I don't how I dealt with him when I was younger (looking back, I think I just spammed his smash attacks, stupid kid me). He was slow, laggy, and I just couldn't play with him that well. This lead me to drop Roy in Melee and begin maining Falco, with Dr. Mario and Samus as my secondaries.

But in Smash 4, Roy is a whole different beast. For one thing, he's faster, which I'm really happy about, since speedy characters are my forte (ironically, though, I play Mewtwo on a regular basis). He also has plenty of KO options (I mean, for god's sake, his freaking TILTS and DASH ATTACK can KO!). I find his counter to be a bit laggy, but that's really the only complaint I have about him. I'm really happy about what they did with Roy.

Anyway, what do you like about him?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
He's awesome, strong, fast and above all else, Roy is not our boy.... He's a man now!

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
I like all the fire emblem cast but I started out with Sacred stones and the binding blade

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I just like the Fire Emblem franchise in general, with Awakening being my first game in the series. I got hooked up to the young lion when I got the DLC map with him on that game.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Tbh I was never a really big Roy fan as a kid. He was my friends main. He played Red Roy and I played Blue Mario. We played against each other a ton and when we played against other kids we'd be a team. So after he eventually moved away, I slowly lost interest in smash and didn't even pick up Smash 4 at Launch (in contrast I bought Brawl day 1 and played it at his house since I didn't even own a Wii) so eventually I bought it and in some magical way was introduced to comepetive smash and picked up Marth along with my main at the time Mega Man. After that I downloaded PM and felt a strong connection with Roy and stuck with him. This carried over to melee as well where I once again picked up Roy and donned the red In memory of my friend. Then of course when Roy was leaked I focused all my time waiting anxiously for him to be announced and have mained him since the first couple hours he had been out. Also in RPG's I almost always play as a one sword no shield wielding swordsman so it just made sense.

Good things
Kill options for dayssss
Solid DED(no meteor tho :'( )
Counter is speedy and solid kill option
PM style up tilt
Better F-Tilt
Better(?) Fair.
Up Air

Complaints with Smash 4 Roy:
Up Smash lost its amazing spike would of been really good in this game
Down tilt isn't the combo maker it use to be
Blazer has like no blade when it comes out so you can't use it as a Edgeguarding tool anymore
I preferred the old Dair tbh.

Last edited:

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I like Roy because I main Pikachu and I needed someone to cover for Luigi, and I like Roy. Plus, he plays pretty similarly to Pikachu, just without a projectile. He's also really fun to play.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
From a casual stand point, Roy is just an overall good character. His SHFF U-air can combo beautifully, his N-air is a nice auto-cancel approach tool, has nice feel to his aerial movement (his weight and speed of fall), has a nice F-air that can lead to other follow ups, great B-air though not the best thing in the world, nice tilts, superb jab, armor on his recovery and the ability for it to KO with pretty neat horizontal recovery, good D-tilt for spacing, flare-blade having so little frames of lag, which makes it actually a good tool for edge-guarding or even playing around with it through wave-bouncing, and he looks pretty cool. I am a former Marth main. I religiously used Marth in Melee and later used him in Brawl, that is, until I started playing Ganondorf. Then Smash 4 released and I used Palutena. I ignored Marth but later gained fondness of him again, even though he was notably trashy within the first half the release duration. I kept using him and eventually he gained some nice buffs, though nothing too note worthy since he isn't on par with the rest of the cast as of yet. Then, Roy happened. He just feels like an overall, better Marth. Sure, they play completely different, but his style seems more rewarding and fluid. Especially his combo game. I know he isn't commonly used aside from Sethlon and a few stragglers in the fray, but he is definitely fun to play and watch. I can only hope there will eventually be individuals who master Roy and bring him out into large scale tournaments and making a name for themselves. It seems like the top 8 of Smash 4 tournaments now are faster paced with a more diverse cast of characters.

Top Bottom