• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Ness Stage Discussion?

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Okay ... I'm somewhat new to playing Ness in general.
(Only did it to irk those people telling me I needed to pick a higher tier main.)
And generally, I only get to bring him out in the free tournaments or friendlies, but still ... I'm having spotty results.

It just seems like a character who can make or break depending on the stage you're on ...
(Like Yoshi's Story ... ugh.)
But is there really a stage that favors him more than it hurts him?
And would it really be wise to pick such stages against certain characters?
(Kongo Jungle 64 seems nice, but a falco or peach would just **** you hard ... 0_o)

Plus there doesn't seem to be a stage outline anywhere in any of the guides written yet, so I was hoping one (or more) of you Experienced Ness' would be willing to shed some light on what you've found out.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
I think stages that have background factors such as Brinstar, and Mute City just might be able to help Ness. The lava/roads respectively can help him with his recovering. =P

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
And being able to get UNDER brinstar occasionally can't hurt right?
I feel a lot safer doing agressive off-the-stage air game when I can shoot straight up through the underside of the stage.

I dunno about Mute City though.
I just hate that stage, and me bein' Ness ain't gonna make me and it pals, yeah?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I used to think Yoshi's story was flat out the worst thing physically possible, now I think it's just :|.

Stuff with my ness isnt really going too great (i need to look into quite a few things), but I have realized something about Yoshi's story; if you can do an inverted PKT2, then recovery isnt so bad. I cant do an inverted PKT2. XD.

if you just accept the fact that you have to have some dumb good control to recovery with PKT2, then think of this. When you're recovery on the side of yoshi's story, if you're in microscope, you cant see what's in microscope with you. But you CAN see what's in front of you. If nothing's in front of you, then instead of doing a regular PKT2 and risking running your PKT into a flyguy, you do have the option of doing inverted PKT2. What sucks is if the flyguy is already above you in microscope. You're ****ed at that point.

__

But YS platforms are nice for EC PK Fire. Real nice. Real nice for comboing into bat. And you flyguys give you a way to get PK Fire off without having to hit your opponent.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Dogy has a fetish for atrocious recoveries.
I wouldnt be playing ness if that was the case :p. Ness has one of the better recoveries in the game, there's 3 big flaws that go with it.

1) Ness's recovery is the only one in the game that literally takes skill and practice. And it's not like your 10 minutes in training mode ****. I wish. Im never gunna get that **** down.

2) A big part of it is easily gimpable. That being PKT2. I mean ****, all you have to do is get out there and take the hit (which is where more skill comes in for ness to set himself up so that this isnt an option.)

3) His recovery as a whole is just sooooooooooooo telegraphed. float-float-float-float HUGE *** DOUBLE JUMPfloat-float-float-floatAirdodge or pkt2.

It's not that the recovery itself is bad, it's just that it takes some real effort to do the same things pretty much everybody else can do with theirs. (it blows sheiks out of the water. Only perk sheik has is that not only can she realistically defend herself, she's actually a real viable threat while she's recovering. You still KNOW where she's going and realistically it's not far and there arent too many options).
PS:What's inspiring you to play as Ness? Can you share it?
Oh i got no problem with that.

It's not so much "inspiration" as much as it is melee is like, 8 years old, and I dont mind doing stuff for fun.

That's not the big part of it though.

The main thing is, I used to low-tier main ness like, 2 years ago or so; back when we had low-tier tourneys around here. Out of my 4 mains (Doc/Falco, Kirby/Ness LT Mains), Ness is the only character that NEVER got any better, because Ness takes a ****ton of work that no other character takes. So for the longest, I never paid attention to it. But every once in a while I'd play ness because I always said "Well, I've won/placed in LT tourneys with him, so he cant be bad." No he's atrocious.

So now it's just "Well all my other characters have gotten better, why not work on my ness?". That's really it. (I mean seriously, I hate to say this and sound like im boasting, but people around here absolutely hate my kirby and refuse to play specific matchups vs it.)

___

To answer the next thing I think you'd ask, which would be "Well why did you start playing Ness in the first place."

YYG.

That's the ONLY reason I ever looked at ness to begin with. (Real simple answer, that's why it's there).

___

For the record, i've played my ness lately vs some people after rethinking some stuff. **** is worse than it used to be. XD I know what I need to do to fix it, but I gotta do a lil work and a lil research.

It's not like im doing anything groundbreaking over here (Yet).

I swear as soon as i get EC PK Fire down. Awww yeah!

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Haha, I can reverse PKT2 after a little bit of practice ... but then I kinda get in a rut and screw up my normal recovery afterwards. It's far from perfect .. but it's one of the good tricks that really might be useful. Especially considering the high concentration of jigglypuffs around here ...

But I played yoshi for so long that a telegraphed recovery isn't too terrible a step to overcome. I ain't playin' in the pros over here.

I've never thought of pkfiring a flyguy though ...
I'll have to work on making that usefull.
'Cause I'd really rather ban dreamland instead of stories for peach and some ****in' samus.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
invert pkt2 against jiggs REALLy doesnt matter because all they have to do is be above you before you PKT, it's not hard for them (or anybody who really wants to) to get out there. That's why I've always thought of jiggs as ness's worst matchup by leaps and bounds.

PK Firing flyguys. Yeah. It's pretty comical. Makes for a hilarious edgeguard if the situation comes up.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
all they have to do is be above you before you PKT, it's not hard for them (or anybody who really wants to) to get out there.
Ahaha, you're **** straight.
A few matches into some friendlies today, and that's exactly what happened.
So I started pushing him around the stage and trying not to get myself knocked off the stage.
With ... mixed results.

Tried my heart out, but I didn't get to pk-fire any flyguys the couple matches that were on stories. :*(
On the other hand, I didn't get hardcore stage-pwned either.

Also, I have something new to add to the stage discussion.
Ness and big blue are not friends.
Nothing sucks more than having a car eat your lightning.
That said, I don't see any reason why anyone would play big blue ... but just in case.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
=( There's only like...1.5 of us
Okay, yeah.
But for like a week, there were five of you bloody people.
You were one, and Jay plays puff enough for it to be annoying.
Then Jay (other Jay) started playing puff at the last tournament.
Goose played his puff against me - I think he always just plays something random against me, but that's beside the point.
And some other random person I was playing was puff.
It ate my Yoshi.

Plus ... mostly I play you ...
And you're a puff main.

Levitas

the moon
=( There's only like...1.5 of us

I hear Corneria is good for Ness, if you don't mind stalling =P

EDIT: also, I got pkt killed by this guy when I intercepted it O_O
Was that me, or have you found another ness in the MW?

Though I seem to remember hitting your pichu out of quick attack with PK flash for some reason.

BunBun

Smash Master
Was that me, or have you found another ness in the MW?

Though I seem to remember hitting your pichu out of quick attack with PK flash for some reason.

"this guy" = Rin1010 lol.

But yeah, random bad ideas. It wasn't quick attack, it was a fully charged skull bash XD

Also, Levitas, you've gotta come down to lower midwest again. The MI crew is 222 good.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
if they ban corneria, counter pick green greens.
if they ban green greens, counter on corneria.
if you're playing something like chillindude's fox and you're on green greens, uhhhh........that sux D:

there's several players here that love yoshi's story -- you get to capitalize on ness's speed game on that stage. so much fun :D

not too sure on kongo jungle 64

personally i really dislike dreamland64

yoshi's djc is similar but different -- you can do ness's a lot faster and have the hitbox appear, so it makes for good comboing on midweights to middle percentages.

i don't recommend you go ness vs luigi/puff/ganon/peach/sheik those are pretty bad matchups. i used to hate playing against marf, but he's not so bad unless the player loves to dashdance camp just out of your reach all day with tippahs :(

cf fox and falco are hard matchups but those are also my favorites :D

Top Bottom