• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A proposal of help.

Will we join together?

• Yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Introduction.
Hello all Jigglypuff mains! I am here today to give a proposal to join with the Dedede mains in order to gain a bigger voice for both of our characters to get buffed.

Reasoning
My reasoning for us joining together is mainly to help each other out. Let's face it, Jigglypuff is likely the worst character in the game right now. Ever since the start of the release, she's always been on of the worst characters. Despite this, she has infamously been ignored through all patches except for one which wasn't even a buff, it was fixing a glitch. Due to this, #BuffThePuff became a thing to help gain support. However, due to the embarrassing balance team, she has been completely obsolete. The sad thing is, Jigglypuff is the one who deserves buffs out of anybody in the roster. The problem is, Jigglypuff mains aren't many. Therefore, the message is not getting across as much as it could have. And this is where Dedede mains such as myself come in. We have gotten nerfed to the point of rivalling you for the spot of worst character. At this point, we are as desperate for Buffs as much as you are. Of course you need it more than us, but not by much. We have talked about you guys on the Dedede patch thread because we know you have a similar problem to us, aka, we are far too weak. As I said before, the embarrassing balance team has not given notice to Jigglypuff due to a lack of a strong enough voice. We want to join with you due to our similar predicaments. Therefore, people will begin noticing Jigglypuff and Dedede more, and gain a better chance of becoming buffed.

Ending
I hope that you can accept, but it's all up to you. We don't know when the patches end, so there is always hope. The poll ends in a week.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I highly doubt this would work. I don't even think they intended to make 1.1.6 but did it due to the Bayo outcry.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I think this is a great idea, but how are we going to join together? A propaganda campaign? Writing a letter to Mr. Sakurai? Something else? Either way though, I support, I've always thought the Jigglypuffs and Dedede were natural allies,and it'd be great to see our communities become closer together, regardless of the end result.

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
I think this is a great idea, but how are we going to join together? A propaganda campaign? Writing a letter to Mr. Sakurai? Soemthing else? Either way though, I support, I've always thought the Jigglypuffs and Dedede were natural allies,and it'd be great to see our communities become even closer, regardless of the end result.
This was the post I was waiting for. We can discuss ideas, but my most basic one is to go to any Patch video, or video about either characters or any social site, and spread the word. Hmm... Maybe we could spread the word to the best player of each character.. Big D is the best Dedede, who's the best Jigglypuff? Serynder? We can discuss ideas to spread the word here.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
RDR7 is the best Puff, alrhough Seey is great too.

I know RDR7 and Sery are on the puff discord, but idk about Big D.

But yea, as I said, I doubt Sakurai will listen

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I highly doubt this would work. I don't even think they intended to make 1.1.6 but did it due to the Bayo outcry.
Even if it's unlikely to ever happen, I feel like Jigglypuff is so depressing that the Jigglypuff community should at least do one last-ditch effort before giving up on a Puff buff

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Even if it's unlikely to ever happen, I feel like Jigglypuff is so depressing that the Jigglypuff community should at least do one last-ditch effort before giving up on a Puff buff
And that's the thing. The King Dedede community in general wants to join and help, but I personally take it to heart. I'm frustrated with the Balance Team "Smash 4 is balanced" my ass you guys have been treated like a pebble, insignificant and uncared. It makes me sick knowing anything that Jigglypuff does against a Top Tier springs forward jokes rather than "Oh, she's not so bad". I'm completely upset by the mistreatment of Jigglypuff. It's not fair. Sure, Dedede has gotten nothing but nerfs when he needed buffs but he's still better. I want Jigglypuff to gain a last push, a last effort just so she can see viability that Samus and Zelda gained. Think about it, what do you have that's good? A gimmicky kill move, a powerful Bair (That's active for two frames from what Jigglypuff mains have said) and a good Aerial Momentum (That isn't even the best! Think about that. Yoshi moves slow as hell in the air in the games, and Jigglypuff is listed in the Pokédex as the "Balloon Pokémon). That is it. Try to mention anything else goof about her. I think you get my frustration, and it really says something considering Jigglypuff has never been my main.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I would really love to see her get a buff then people will stop badgering me at school for maining her. She's not good whether it is in 1 vs. 1 and is high tier in doubles. And almost useless in FFA other than the occasional Sing-->Rest. D3 is at least decent in FFA but seriously gets toyed around with at any high level game. I hope more people agree to help out with this.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
I would really love to see her get a buff then people will stop badgering me at school for maining her. She's not good whether it is in 1 vs. 1 and is high tier in doubles. And almost useless in FFA other than the occasional Sing-->Rest. D3 is at least decent in FFA but seriously gets toyed around with at any high level game. I hope more people agree to help out with this.
Sorry, what's FFA?

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
One way you could help each other is find at what % or what moves can combo. For a M2 main and a casual jigs player (I still combo and stuff) I would suggest finding those options and then what her main killing options are. She may be light but pound can break shields

Edit: With the correct numbers on all of that you can show sakurai or whoever you choose the problems with jigs and her lack in the game, like pichu in melee

Last edited:

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
One way you could help each other is find at what % or what moves can combo. For a M2 main and a casual jigs player (I still combo and stuff) I would suggest finding those options and then what her main killing options are. She may be light but pound can break shields
We know what our combos are and what her killing options are, and pound is very slow so that happens rarely. She needs buffs to help improve her metagame because right now(to me at least) it seems VERY stagnant with the very rare, generally situational tech discovery.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
While it's super nice you've all been considering our predicament (I think about Dedede too; he's a great character and was my second best in Brawl.), and I don't want to discourage anyone from making whatever effort they feel is right in the hope of receiving a future Dedede/Jigglypuff buff, there are a couple things I think are worth considering...

First of all, we really have no idea who is behind the balance patches, as far as I'm aware. Sakurai said there's a team behind the balancing, but... Do they belong to Nintendo, Sora, Bandai Namco, or what? Sakurai's also been known for being vague or not giving the whole truth, so for instance, yeah there's a team, but does he really stay out of the balancing decisions entirely, or is he just redirecting the focus to them since they're anonymous and can't be pestered by the less courteous side of the Smash fan-base? We don't know.

While it seems evident that whoever is behind the balance changes is aware of the competitive scene to some degree, we really don't know which scene(s) and how much they actually pay attention. What if it's mostly just the Japanese scene? Nairo had been taking games with ZSS's up air up air up special for quite a long time, and Meta Knight's up air shenanigans had been known for a while too (although not really brought into the tourney spotlight until Abadango decided to main him), but it wasn't until after the Niconico championship that suddenly both characters received nerfs, making these maneuvers much trickier to perform. To quote Splyce: "After spectating the matches, Sakurai was overheard saying that he had never seen those advanced combos before. Debatably, this led to both characters being nerfed during the next two updates, with Zero Suit Samus losing some kill power and combo ability and Meta Knight’s “ladder” options becoming semi-neutered." Then there's the case of Peach's infinite, which was also known for a considerable amount of time; from what I can find, it took at least 6+ months for Umeki to actually start using and displaying this ridiculously difficult technique during competitive play, grabbing the attention of much of the scene, and then a month or two later, her infinite was taken away... Hmmmm.

I've actually seen quite a bit of outcry for Dedede/Jigglypuff buffs over time, spread out across social and other media, even from people who have no interest in the characters whatsoever (and we all know how vocal HBox has been with his opinion), but does it just get crowded out by complaints about various top tier characters? It's hard to say when characters like Zelda and Charizard ended up getting buffs even though there were far fewer players taking them into tournaments than Jigglypuff and Dedede from the beginning (at least from the rankings I've kept my eyes on). Diddy Kong was verbally hated by much of the fan-base in the beginning, so he was nerfed, and then later buffed again making him a viable solo-choice, but it's unclear what caused this decision since it's not like people were as vocal about his new-found struggles as they were about the things they hated (heck, they were still talking about that). Sheik was frowned upon too, but not quite as much; still she received nerfs over time, actually starting pretty early, but it didn't seem like they knew exactly how to make her weaker... LOL Now Bayonetta's been nerfed after probably receiving more hate than Diddy Kong, but still no buff for Dedede or Jigglypuff even though that may have been the second-most visible complaint of recent months.

In the end, I'm just afraid we may all be at the mercy of the meta and the balance team's odd decisions, and I'm not sure what more we can do than go on doing whatever we've been doing? I think in order to actually get enough attention for the team to do something about the situation, the majority of the Smash community would have to take an interest in our mains, and so far, even with the added cry for Dedede/Jigglypuff buffs from those who main other characters, there's been too much disrespect toward us for people to actually cooperate in such an endeavor... (I know I've personally been verbally attacked countless times for maining Jigglypuff.)

Anyway, this is all my opinion, but whatever the case, let's not give up on doing what we can, but also be prepared/resolved to accept the current state of our mains as final.

Last edited:
Top Bottom