• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Agree or no?

phoshiz

Smash Rookie
Edit 1: Link is terrible, so far. None of his moves combo well, the gale boomerrang is awful. He has the fastest fall speed, and one of the least height UB recovery. As of now, Link just doesn't seem to have a major advantage over any character.

That was on somebodies character rating. Do you agree or no?

ZzvSpecial22

Smash Rookie
Agreed. Somone must hate Link.

Link is definately a character that you need practice with to master.

WR3K

Smash Ace
link has argueably the best projectile game in the roster when played right, and his recovery mixed with his hookshot also boost him up. whoever said that doesnt know ****.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Link has the best prjectile play in the game, and has awesome recovery. Now that Link has gotten a speed buff in Brawl, I don't see how he sucks.

Vanish07

Smash Rookie
i agree. montage and his crew definately have it out for Link; sure he isn't marth or fox, but he's not a 5/10 either. freakin' noobs. i'll show them how you're supposed to play Link in brawl...

killbeast301

Smash Lord
Edit 1: Link is terrible, so far.
You're terrible so far. Everyone is. You can't know a character's potential untill you properly use it. None of his moves combo well. That's cause you're terrible, and haven't developed any combos. the gale boomerrang is awful. No it's not, it's faster than in melee, and can still serve the same purpose as a simple attacking projectile. He has the fastest fall speed, Isn't that usually a good thing? Fox and Falco are at the top of melee's tier list and one of the least height UB recovery. geeze, it's not that bad. It's certainly been improved from melee. As of now, Link just doesn't seem to have a major advantage over any character. Sure he does! just look at some reviews from some link mains!

That was on somebodies character rating. Do you agree or no? oh good, so that's not actually you. I dissagree.
ten letters

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
The user who said that claimed to be a Link main for two years. I'm in no position (nor do I have much desire) to rid him of any credibility, but what he'd said contradicts what's been said by at least a third dozen users with the same credibility, all of whom call Link improved. And the only character I've seen Link to have a majorly particular DISadvantage against is Pit.

On the subject of agreements/disagreements, I also read him calling Toon Link his best character in the game. I'm not calling him wrong, because TL certainly has some good air-game moves (if somewhat hazardous depending on where you are in the ring), and I will say he does look better than Link overall, but I will say that it can't be due to TL's projectile game, because to be honest, I don't see how TL's projectile game ousts Link's new ones now at all (they seem to be as strong overall, but they're comparatively slower moving in flight, and still have shorter range than Link's). The user said that Link's projectile game has stayed the same if not possibly gotten worse. If Link's projectile game is bad, Toon Link's must be pretty abysmal in comparison, because I've certainly not been impressed by TL's projectiles as much as I've been impressed by everything else about him.

As for the vertical distance of his aerial Up B, it does seem less than Toon Link's but it still looks okay to me.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
Try being a Link Main since SSB64

Also, Link's ^B is about distance, not height, you can get really good horizontal distance with it, and horizontal distance = recovery. (You must recover!)

Besides, you can always use the bomb trick.

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
Not only do I disagree, but I think that person must be the stupidest person on the face of the Earth. But it's their opinion, so... one less clone battle for me. =)

...But they ARE an idiot, though. =P

EDIT: After reading what everyone else here has been saying, I agree with every word, especially that you have to master him to be good with him.

Link FTW!!!

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
Montages crew are all bull sh3ters they rated all their characters high and made all other rated low. no point looking at their ratings just wait for game to come out and play your fav character,

Skler

Smash Master
Link is garbage so far in Brawl. His recovery sucks (he's one of the only characters who can't always make it back), he doesn't have any good combos so far, the gale boomerang on the way back is stupid as hell and he's still slow.

I mean, he's still not the worst character, he might even be in the top half (I doubt it though), but he certainly isn't good.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Well, I think Link was pretty good in Melee, it just took some getting used to it. I haven't played Brawl yet so far (no, I'm not modding my Wii when I can wait three to four more months for the European release). So far, I've only seen videos of really bad Link players, let's face it, but none of them showed his real potential.

When the competetive scene grows, I'll check what can possibly be done with Link. Its just too soon to tell, because he IS hard to master, and if anyone would actually take the time to do just that, we would have clearer results right now.

I still have faith in the guy, at least I know that I'll play him in Brawl ;) Although I guess I will prefer Toon Link.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He doesn't have any good combos so far, the gale boomerang on the way back is stupid as hell and he's still slow.

I mean, he's still not the worst character, he might even be in the top half (I doubt it though), but he certainly isn't good.
Combos? Nobody seems to combo reliably in Brawl. Even M2K has said so somewhere in the Marth forums. Is that really a legitimate issue for Link?

Gale Boomerang looks like it's more useful for ledgeguarding though, because if I'm not mistaken, the wind effect on it is fairly powerful, so you could try making it miss Link and hit someone as they're recovering...I swear I saw that actually happen somewhere...

And by slow, if you mean running speed, that seems right, and I don't think running speed is ever that significant to be honest...his attack speed doesn't look terrible (although his D-air is laggier I guess)

That just what I've seen in Link videos so I dunno...

fazares

Smash Apprentice
hmm... he looked improved to me... his smashes are useful now as knockback is concerned...hes faster,his projectiles are still useful,his tether recovery is easier now...only nerf i noticed was his up b not being so deadly(if not charged)...but it was a good trade-off for more effective smashes....

Skler

Smash Master
Combos? Nobody seems to combo reliably in Brawl. Even M2K has said so somewhere in the Marth forums. Is that really a legitimate issue for Link?

Gale Boomerang looks like it's more useful for ledgeguarding though, because if I'm not mistaken, the wind effect on it is fairly powerful, so you could try making it miss Link and hit someone as they're recovering...I swear I saw that actually happen somewhere...

And by slow, if you mean running speed, that seems right, and I don't think running speed is ever that significant to be honest...his attack speed doesn't look terrible (although his D-air is laggier I guess)

That just what I've seen in Link videos so I dunno...
I've played. His spam is more effective now but everything else about him is pretty much worse. He may barely be in the top half of the characters, but he certainly isn't good.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
So? You've played only for the short amount of time that Brawl's been out.

When you tell me this two or three, or hell, even one year from now, I might be more inclined to follow your advice.

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
Link does not suck, i'm mean come on he was a great character to use in melee and from what i've heard he hasn't changed much. Who gives a **** about tiers anyway and for that matter who are supposed to be these absolute bad ***** that are at the top? Cuz I promise you I could take any of them, if given enough time with Link in Brawl!

:3

Skler

Smash Master
Link is terrible in 64

Link is bad in Melee.

Link is mediocre (so far) in Brawl.

Why would you even try to argue against that? You're wrong until something new is found that makes Link better (maybe something to cancel the lag on his dair and uair, I miss his uair).

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Link does not suck, i'm mean come on he was a great character to use in melee and from what i've heard he hasn't changed much. Who gives a **** about tiers anyway and for that matter who are supposed to be these absolute bad ***** that are at the top? Cuz I promise you I could take any of them, if given enough time with Link in Brawl!

:3
Delusional...

HiIH

Smash Lord
For all of you people who don't know, Skler's opinions have some pretty good swing, since he's an amazing Link....

For all of you people who ALSO don't know, Link was was at the very bottom of the tier List in 64. He was slow had a horrible recovery, and just got the crap comboed out of him by every character. He was in the lower part of the tier list in melee. His recovery was improved, but he was still slow and laggy, and was easily comboed by everyone and had a horrible wavedash.

and it seems like Skler is comparing Link to all of the characters in Brawl, while everyone else is comparing Brawl Link to Melee Link.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
So? You've played only for the short amount of time that Brawl's been out.

When you tell me this two or three, or hell, even one year from now, I might be more inclined to follow your advice.
dude Skler is one of, if no THE MOST HIGHLY, regarded link player on the threads.

That being said. I wish people would stop treating link like he is their own child, so who cares if link is MEDIOCRE like skler says. In his previous post he prooved his point it doenst matter how bad he, wich i too have played the game and he is mediocre if that, it will all just take time for people to develop a play style so everyone needs to chill out

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Skler, tell me something about Link that is worse about him that isn't universal to everyone else. Everyone could essentially be said to be worse due to the non existence of combos and ledgeguarding and L-canceling. If everyone can't do that, then what is it to Link?

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
You're not really gonna get anywhere arguing about it here. You whould probably argue about it with montage's crew, in his thread.If people argue for him in that thread, as opposed to this one, he might rethink his opinion. They are credible, imo, but I do not agree with their view of Link, by any strretcch of the immagination. So if you want to argue about this, argue it with montage, not each other. I've tryed, but have no evidence. maybe someone can dig up a good link vid

comparatively speaking, Link is good. he's faster than some characters, he's more powerful than some characters. He can sort of combo. He has a good grab range. Blah, blah, blah, blah,blah. I can go on about why he's good. but don't feel like it, as I have to go to bed

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Hell no they cant use link right or they hate him for some reason.
QTF.

That's all that needs to be said.

As for Skler, well, the rankings for 64 and Melee are true. But we've worked around that. And also, to say any character is so good or so bad compared to other as of right now is a bit fool-hearty if you ask me.

Top Bottom