• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animal Crossing:The Movie - Connections to Smash 4?

Mario123311

Smash Ace

So in 2006, when Animal Crossing: Wild World was in it's heyday a film was released entitled ("劇場版 どうぶつの森" Gekijōban Dōbutsu no Mori. which litteraly translates to "Animal Forest: Theater Version") or for us it would be known simply known as "Animal Crossing: The Movie" among fans. The film itself was never released outside of Japan sadly but since Villager's reveal in Smash 4 ((and release)) I have noticed some odd connections to the film... Coincidental or possibly on Purpose is up for you to decide.

For starters let's start off with Villager's E3 trailer. When Villager is rushing out of his house alongside town, We see Margie and Rosie. You may just think they put them in randomly if you never knew about this film's existence but they played rather big roles in the plot. Margie is also seen reading a book, Could it be the book she carried around in the film with her designs?
Capture.PNG

And probably my favorite is about Villager himself, or her depending on the costume. The very first costume the Villager has is a girl with pink hair and a flower dress. This is the same atire Ai, the protagonist of the film wears in most of the artwork and such of the film. The main real difference is probably the fact that the Daisy Dress in the official games has one huge flower in the center: where as Ai's has several scattered around. Her hair is also different being it does not have pigtails and is much more "pink" if anything. Ai was shown to have more pinkish hair in promotional material of the movie though.

And of course, The boy in the red No. 1 shirt resembles a boy Ai meets within the film, "Yu", to an extent. Yu typically is seen in several different costumes throughout the movie: It isn't until near the end that he reveals his "real" face though. In the end he is also shown wearing a "normal" atire during the credits roll, somewhat reminiscent of Villager's but still slightly different in several areas: as well as sporting a hat.
Capture2.PNG

During E3 demos of Smash 4 on the Wii U, There is footage of the female villager faintly saying "Thanks Nook!" in english. There are also several rumors that voice actors Yui Horie (Ai's actress) and Yū Kobayashi (Yu's actress... heh :p) were going to voice the Girl and Boy Villagers early in development in the Japanese versions of the game. In the end though, for both regions: Villager has ended up silent.

So what do you think? Possibly Nintendo remembers this film and whatnot? It actually did surprisingly well during it's theater run. Despite not being released in America it seems to have been noticed and praised quite a bit within the AC community.

Post your thoughts here.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Very interesting *applauds*

Another point to make this theory possible: The fact that Cloud has a skin that is from a movie, it shows that Sakurai is willing to base a part of a character from a movie instead of a game.

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
Really interesting theory!

And wow, that voice does not fit O.o I'm glad they ended up making Villager silent.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Yeah, I still would have loved to hear Ai's voice on Pink!Villy though.

I cannot confirm if those rumors of Yui Horie returning as true though: I only heard the rumors from several forum posts. ((Some including here.))

ThatStrangeDoll

Smash Cadet
while most of what you said is possible, [most] villager alts are based off villagers initial appearance in WW/CF. Ai and Yu are probably also based of those appearances.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
There actually is several fandubs online you can find, One was recently completed sometime this year I believe, the other one was stopped for some reason.

I like watching the subs, I feel the original Japanese voice actors give it a charm.

Top Bottom