• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

any tips for my Zelda?

Ju-Fu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
0000x1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyyvqyw3RLw
i know that Zelda is matchup depended whereas in Zelda vs Ness i tried to stay on ground more and space out because of Ness's aerials and stuff... any tips or anything i need correcting on would be very helpful thank you

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
i know that Zelda is matchup depended whereas in Zelda vs Ness i tried to stay on ground more and space out because of Ness's aerials and stuff... any tips or anything i need correcting on would be very helpful thank you
Damn, you have a flashy Zelda. Actually using ledge cancels in much the same way I would... But I digress. The two main things you could be doing better is shield pressure and offstage. Had this Ness been better, there were tons of opportunities for a grab, many of which he missed by failing to pivot or trying to do something else. The only things I've found to be safe on shield are sweetspot lightning kicks (not dair), projectiles, and on slower opponents, fsmash/ a well spaced ftilt.

For offstage, zelda has SO MANY opportunities to gimp a character like Ness. Nothing flashy, mind you - a nair/Nayru's will put Ness in a super bad position if his jump's gone, or even just fall into his thunder before it connects with him - Zelda can recover from it easily.

Again, I want to reiterate that you did some awesome things with Zelda - I saw at least one airdodge bait to charged fsmash, and plenty other mindgames. You have a good grasp of the Ness matchup, and I don't doubt that your other matchups are too far behind. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Nothing to add really, you have an excellent grasp on Zelda. And it's always a pleasure to watch an aggresive Zelda, something that I'm not too good at, preferring to play slow and patient.

This is just me, but on battlefield I like to start with Farore's Wind directly to where the opponent drops at the beginning of the match. It catches them offguard most of the time, and in the cases where they rarely drop, it's usually because they started charging an attack so it's not unsafe to do it and you might even get a NAir o Lightning Kick if they stay there.

Last edited:

Ju-Fu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
0000x1
Damn, you have a flashy Zelda. Actually using ledge cancels in much the same way I would... But I digress. The two main things you could be doing better is shield pressure and offstage. Had this Ness been better, there were tons of opportunities for a grab, many of which he missed by failing to pivot or trying to do something else. The only things I've found to be safe on shield are sweetspot lightning kicks (not dair), projectiles, and on slower opponents, fsmash/ a well spaced ftilt.

For offstage, zelda has SO MANY opportunities to gimp a character like Ness. Nothing flashy, mind you - a nair/Nayru's will put Ness in a super bad position if his jump's gone, or even just fall into his thunder before it connects with him - Zelda can recover from it easily.

Again, I want to reiterate that you did some awesome things with Zelda - I saw at least one airdodge bait to charged fsmash, and plenty other mindgames. You have a good grasp of the Ness matchup, and I don't doubt that your other matchups are too far behind. Keep up the good work!
thanks n.n

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
positives
  • good spacing
  • good stage control/follow ups
  • smooth ATs
negatives
  • iffy neutral, a couple notable moments dash attack I saw a few times in neutral most notable one 0:05 (could have been easily grabbed out of that), Farore's 1:45, 2:08 sort of (an opponent who actually knew anything should have punished those)
  • it's ness, I know it's hard not to but you can't respect pk2 that much
  • tell your audio to stop cutting out
Overall this is how you should play against ness as zelda, but things such as dash attack as zelda in neutral against ness is really risky and should be saved for reads and punishes. I know it's Zelda neutral, so you can only improve it so much.

You easily could have done just as well baiting attacks in neutral (I mean your opponent was playing as if their fingers were super glued to the A button) and been safe doing so

Ju-Fu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
0000x1
huh
positives
  • good spacing
  • good stage control/follow ups
  • smooth ATs
negatives
  • iffy neutral, a couple notable moments dash attack I saw a few times in neutral most notable one 0:05 (could have been easily grabbed out of that), Farore's 1:45, 2:08 sort of (an opponent who actually knew anything should have punished those)
  • it's ness, I know it's hard not to but you can't respect pk2 that much
  • tell your audio to stop cutting out
Overall this is how you should play against ness as zelda, but things such as dash attack as zelda in neutral against ness is really risky and should be saved for reads and punishes. I know it's Zelda neutral, so you can only improve it so much.

You easily could have done just as well baiting attacks in neutral (I mean your opponent was playing as if their fingers were super glued to the A button) and been safe doing so

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Nothing to add really, you have an excellent grasp on Zelda. And it's always a pleasure to watch an aggresive Zelda, something that I'm not too good at, preferring to play slow and patient.

This is just me, but on battlefield I like to start with Farore's Wind directly to where the opponent drops at the beginning of the match. It catches them offguard most of the time, and in the cases where they rarely drop, it's usually because they started charging an attack so it's not unsafe to do it and you might even get a NAir o Lightning Kick if they stay there.
Hate to contradict your advice, but avoid this at higher level play. You might catch someone once a set with it, but it's only 10 or 12 percent and can easily be shielded and punished. My preferred match starter on Battlefield is to duck the platform and charge a Phantom, or run off the platform to ledge cancel Farore's Wind, but really it's less about the stage and more the matchup whether you should use any of these.

Top Bottom