• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone have opinions on gamecube USB adapters?

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I really want to buy a USB adapter for my GC controller because playing 64 with a PS3 controller kinda sucks. Has anyone bought/used/heard anything about any of the one floating around out there?

Ive narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-XBox...44991422&sr=8-1&keywords=gamecube+usb+adapter

and

http://www.amazon.com/GC-Controller...44991525&sr=8-4&keywords=gamecube+usb+adapter

The second one is much more modern, but reviews say that the shoulder buttons are recognized as a digital input, not analog. Not a big deal for 64 but the guy goes on to say that a light tap will trigger it. Not good. The first one doesn't mention anything about shoulder buttons in the reviews so I assume they work ok. However, the product description says compatible with XP... and nothing beyond. I don't know how much of a chore it's going to be to get it to work on windows 7.

So, does anyone have an opinion on any of these, or any of a different brand that I could try?

Also, if I do end up buying the more modern one, is there a way to configure the N64 emu so that the shoulder buttons only work when they are fully pressed? I'm thinking you can tweak dead zones but if it's recognized as digital input anyway that might not be the case.

That's it, any info or opinions are appreciated.

SadColor

Smash Rookie
I have the first one (GC+XBox+PS2) and the shoulder buttons work as analog (at least I'm pretty sure since Joy2Key recognizes them as sliders and has separate mappings for <0 and >0)

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I have the first one (GC+XBox+PS2) and the shoulder buttons work as analog (at least I'm pretty sure since Joy2Key recognizes them as sliders and has separate mappings for <0 and >0)
Cool, does it run ok on windows 7? I have 64 bit.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Raphnet is best. They are probably made is someone's garage but whoever it is knows what they are doing. Plus, they work with hori pads.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
$38 is really hefty for an adapter. I'll think it over. If I buy the one from amazon I get free shipping with the other thing I'm buying >_>

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
$38 is really hefty for an adapter. I'll think it over. If I buy the one from amazon I get free shipping with the other thing I'm buying >_>
Not really considering the quality of these adapters.

I had a much cheaper one that wouldn't work with any of the controllers i have. This one has worked with all of them so far without a hitch.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I got the 3 in 1 adapter today and got it to work after installing some drivers and whatnot since the CD it came with couldn't be read by my computer. Anyway, it works fine HOWEVER, there seems to be some input that it recognizes as always on and I can't figure out what it is. When I go to set buttons on the emu, I click the button to set, and it instantly changes to whatever input it is perpetually recognizing. I THINK it's the shoulder button slide, not the button press itself because that is recognized as a numbered joy key (the press is something like joy 14, the weird input is joy slide + or some weird thing).

The only way to get around that is to turn the dead zone way up and then input my keys. This doesn't work with the joysticks though because turning up the dead zone negates their recognition as well. I got all 4 of the regular directions to work by being fast, but I can't map the c-stick for the life of me. The only thing I can think of doing is opening the controller and manually pushing the stick all the way over so I can overcome the massive dead zone that I have to combat just to bind a key.

Does anyone have experience with this? I really have no idea what input it is recognizing, the shoulder button slide is my best guess so far.

Other than that though, it works perfectly. I had to put it to zero dead zone to get it to be as responsive as I would like, but who cares. Good use of 13 bucks.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Heres your fix.

Go into your GCPadNew.ini file (forget exactly where it is, just search around in the files) and paste this. Everything worked perfectly for me after.

[GCPad1]
Device = DInput/0/TigerGame XBOX+PS2+GC Game Controller Adapter
Buttons/A = Button 0
Buttons/B = Button 1
Buttons/X = Button 2
Buttons/Y = Button 3
Buttons/Z = Button 6
Buttons/Start = Button 7
Main Stick/Up = Axis Y-
Main Stick/Down = Axis Y+
Main Stick/Left = Axis X-
Main Stick/Right = Axis X+
C-Stick/Up = Axis Zr-
C-Stick/Down = Axis Zr+
C-Stick/Left = Axis Z-
C-Stick/Right = Axis Z+
Triggers/Threshold = 99.000000
Triggers/L = Button 4
Triggers/R = Button 5
Triggers/L-Analog = Slider 0+
Triggers/R-Analog = Slider 1+
Rumble/Motor = Constant
Rumble/Motor/Range = 1.000000
D-Pad/Up = Hat 0 N
D-Pad/Down = Hat 0 S
D-Pad/Left = Hat 0 W
D-Pad/Right = Hat 0 E
Options/Background Input = 1.000000
[GCPad2]
[GCPad3]
[GCPad4]

EDIT: Oh....nvm. you're talking about project64 not dolphin. I have no clue on how to help you then, unless you can somehow use this in dolphins controller settings

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I got the 3 in 1 adapter today and got it to work after installing some drivers and whatnot since the CD it came with couldn't be read by my computer. Anyway, it works fine HOWEVER, there seems to be some input that it recognizes as always on and I can't figure out what it is. When I go to set buttons on the emu, I click the button to set, and it instantly changes to whatever input it is perpetually recognizing. I THINK it's the shoulder button slide, not the button press itself because that is recognized as a numbered joy key (the press is something like joy 14, the weird input is joy slide + or some weird thing).

The only way to get around that is to turn the dead zone way up and then input my keys. This doesn't work with the joysticks though because turning up the dead zone negates their recognition as well. I got all 4 of the regular directions to work by being fast, but I can't map the c-stick for the life of me. The only thing I can think of doing is opening the controller and manually pushing the stick all the way over so I can overcome the massive dead zone that I have to combat just to bind a key.

Does anyone have experience with this? I really have no idea what input it is recognizing, the shoulder button slide is my best guess so far.

Other than that though, it works perfectly. I had to put it to zero dead zone to get it to be as responsive as I would like, but who cares. Good use of 13 bucks.

Might seem obvious but try calibrating the controlling.

Otherwise i blame the cheap adapter. But i know nothing about tech ****, thus why i bought one that wont have random problems :p

SadColor

Smash Rookie
For the C-stick, I think you need to use a newer version of NRage (I'm just using 2.1 rc3 since it's the one I found Googling why NRage wouldn't recognize the C-stick)

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
Might seem obvious but try calibrating the controlling.

Otherwise i blame the cheap adapter. But i know nothing about tech ****, thus why i bought one that wont have random problems :p
How exactly would one go about doing that? I tried to look for the game controllers icon in the control panel but it wasn't there, and the CD it came with doesn't work so it might just not be possible.

Also, NRage is a controller plugin? I should probably use that since I'm not using one currently.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
If you cannot access the control through the control panel i have no idea what to tell you. This is what ended up happening to my PS3 controller as well, my system essentially rejected it lol.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I downloaded the NRage plugin and everything works great. No weird ever-present input when I used it. I wish there was a nice controller plugin for VBA, but I guess PS3 is superior for that anyway. Thanks for your help guys.

Bu$

HoC
Hey guys. I recently bought a gc usb adapter to play melee through dolphin. I have installed the drivers that came with the adapter but for some reason i can't get any of my controllers to work in melee. I can use the controller plugged in through the adapter to setup and allocation buttons ect but when i start Melee through emulation it doesn't work and have no idea why.

This is the adapter i bought.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gamecube...ors&hash=item3a75cc5e4e&_uhb=1#ht_1748wt_1163

If anyone as any solution please let me know! Cheers.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Hey guys. I recently bought a gc usb adapter to play melee through dolphin. I have installed the drivers that came with the adapter but for some reason i can't get any of my controllers to work in melee. I can use the controller plugged in through the adapter to setup and allocation buttons ect but when i start Melee through emulation it doesn't work and have no idea why.

This is the adapter i bought.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gamecube...ors&hash=item3a75cc5e4e&_uhb=1#ht_1748wt_1163

If anyone as any solution please let me know! Cheers.
Join the ">implying we play smash" steam group. We play online melee as well and someone can help you probably

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
ohhhhhh mannnn i was shopping around for an adapter and im really glad i found this thread on this forum because the info feels so much more credible.
i did end up buying the Raphnet adapter.

i guess this is just a thanks for being a credible source. a lot of the reviews on other sites were all over the place.

also whats this about smash online?

C.SDK

Smash Ace
The analog stick is far superior to that of the 64 controller, but the button placements make it a bit hard to shine cancel with Fox (unless you map the C buttons to the C-stick, then they're easy to do). Also, the shoulder buttons are bad for Z-cancelling. I wouldn't recommend you using a Gamecube controller because of these reasons and even more so if you play Melee as it may mess with your memory muscle. Peek is one of the more notable players who uses a Gamecube controller to play so who knows, if you can get used to it, you can still be good with it. I don't have a hard time with a Gamecube controller (VC) but I'd prefer a 64 controller over that.

I'd actually recommend a 360 controller. Those things are beasts. The analog stick is very durable, lots of buttons to map things on, and a very good controller for smash in general. If you want an easier transition to console Smash, you can use a 64 controller.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
I'd actually recommend a 360 controller. Those things are beasts. The analog stick is very durable, lots of buttons to map things on, and a very good controller for smash in general. If you want an easier transition to console Smash, you can use a 64 controller.
Hori pad. Best of both worlds. Plus the sticks on Hori are the best I have ever seen on a controller, ever.

Top Bottom