• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach for practicing

Dagurasu

Smash Rookie
Hello there! I've seen several videos on how to play with Fox, Fox combos, movement and various tech. One issue I've always had with getting better at this game is I have no idea which direction I should go when it comes to practicing. I just feel soooo lost about what to try to tackle. What would be a priority to get better at; movement, combos, or tech? What's the most optimal way to practice all of this? I've usually just been fighting Lvl 5 CPUs. I know ranked matches is really good to get better but I don't want to **** up my GSP. Should I continue doing what I have been doing with the CPUs or spend a lot of time in practice mode or just suck it up and go into a ranked match for once? I really want to improve. I had some friends I would play with but I lost my copy of smash and my asshole roommate purposely broke my TV so I haven't played in months. I put up quite a fight with them but they have gotten really good in the past several months while I've stayed the same in that time. I really want to get back on their level.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Hello there! I've seen several videos on how to play with Fox, Fox combos, movement and various tech. One issue I've always had with getting better at this game is I have no idea which direction I should go when it comes to practicing. I just feel soooo lost about what to try to tackle. What would be a priority to get better at; movement, combos, or tech? What's the most optimal way to practice all of this? I've usually just been fighting Lvl 5 CPUs. I know ranked matches is really good to get better but I don't want to **** up my GSP. Should I continue doing what I have been doing with the CPUs or spend a lot of time in practice mode or just suck it up and go into a ranked match for once? I really want to improve. I had some friends I would play with but I lost my copy of smash and my asshole roommate purposely broke my TV so I haven't played in months. I put up quite a fight with them but they have gotten really good in the past several months while I've stayed the same in that time. I really want to get back on their level.
I am sorry about the television. That must be infuriating. Anyway...

My advice is that if you cannot find a training pursuit, make your own. As I was saying to someone else earlier, understanding how the fundamentals relate to you is of paramount importance.Here would be my suggested process (There are two parts--general and Fox):

(General)

1. Think of everything that all the characters have in common in terms of the basic techniques they are able to perform, and tabulate them as exhaustively as you can.

2. Engage in a moderately easy battle with any character you choose, aiming to win.

3. Make careful notes about the patterns, techniques, and technique combinations you resort to most.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 with a different character, leaving everything else the same. After repeating this process many times, you not only get a 'feel' for your playstyle, but also find which characters best accommodate that playstyle. Make sure to ask yourself thoroughly whether or not a given character made each technique or pattern easy or hard to use after playing with another character.

5. Ask questions about your playstyle. Why is it effective? What are the weaknesses? How will other players try to exploit it? How predictable or simple is it? THE MORE YOU UNDERSTAND THE STRENGTHS AND LIMITATIONS OF YOUR PLAYSTYLE AND YOUR CHARACTER'S ABILITY TO WORK WITH AND AROUND IT, THE MORE EFFICIENTLY YOUR SKILL LEVEL WILL GROW, so keep learning more about yourself and your favorite character.

6 This is the most important step. PUT YOUR PLAYSTYLE THROUGH THE FIRE! You must place yourself in uncomfortable situations and test your ability to react to it. Make a habit of setting up an awkward situation, and react to it in a way that you are not comfortable using. This will develop your ability to improvise when you are immersed in a battle problem that cramps your style. It also makes you less predictable as an opponent.

7. Finally, have fun. The purpose of the game is to enjoy it. When your muscles are tense from being nervous or excited about a current battle, your ability to control your character fluidly diminishes, hurting the timing of your reactions. This is simple, but often overlooked and makes a tremendous difference in the efficacy with which you play. RELAX!

(Fox)

I am not a Fox expert, but I shall share my thoughts anyway:

Attributes: Extremely fast ground speed, extremely fast falling speed, extremely fast attack speed in terms of end and start lag, quick projectile for free damage, reflector that comes out quickly, easily launched, low priority, difficult to line up attacks without getting in harm's way, low airspeed, specials are of limited offensive value by themselves, fast roll, and low knockback and speed of attacks land you in trouble if you are not prepared to follow up.

Summary: Fox is a blitz. He does almost everything quickly enough to disrupt an opponent before they even know he did anything. His ability to transition quickly from one move to the next allows players to keep opponents guessing. A Fox player should focus on movement, keeping the opponent from pinning you down. Use Fox's speed to maintain in your foe a sense of confusion. A Fox player should emphasize practice in visually keeping up with Fox and never letting the next instant cause you to draw a blank. Think one move ahead of your current state, and keep away from the enemy when you are not striking.

Top Bottom