• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach???

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Im having issues with having a relatively-safe approach with roy. his aerials are all too laggy even when l canceled and his dtilt is kinda punishable as its animation has to completely end before hes allowed to shield. should i be dash dance>grabbing with him like marth?

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
Don't wait to shield after D-tilt, just go back to dash dancing, that allows you to cancel the animation about 3 TIMES AS QUICKLY. It's really not that punishable then. It's actually great. dash dance into DED, D-tilt, and grab are Roy's only pretty good approach moves in my opinion. Stay grounded, don't approach with aerials too often, unless its a mix up or a read.

Last edited:

vZakat

Half Genie
fyi you can shield after a dtilt by cancelling the dtilt with walk and then cancelling the walk with shield. Just hold forward and shield as you dtilt and you will automatically cancel from walk to shield as soon as possible. Basically you are buffering it to happen exactly as the IASA frames come up.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Wow, I never thought of that. Cool.
How could you play Roy and NOT know this...it's like essential. If you can dash you can walk during IASA frames.

D-tilt (multiple) > walk/dash grab is a guaranteed on FFers like Fox/Falco
You can usually repeat up to 60-70% if you follow DI right

Last edited:

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I meant the buffered shielding after walking as the quickest way. I always DD, WD, or jump out of D-tilt, never shield. I guess I just don't need to shield most of the time since I space it well consistently. And I'm a roy enthusiast dude, not a roy main.

Last edited:
Top Bottom