• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Are New 3DS circle pads less likely to break?

Have you damaged your circle pad or any of your buttons?

• Yes. Severely.

• Just a little wear and tear.

• Not at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lapaat

Smash Rookie
I want to buy Smash Bros. for 3DS but the only thing I'm worried about is my circle pad breaking off. I used to play Skullgirls and I've wrecked my Xbox 360 controller's thumbstick and buttons because I mashed so hard in that game.

I've heard that this is a somewhat common thing for Smash Players, but I've also heard rumors that the New 3DS is more durable. Is it common for circle pads to break while playing Smash? If so, I have a New 3DS, so will that alleviate the problem? Thanks in advance for the answers.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I've heard that this is a somewhat common thing for Smash Players, but I've also heard rumors that the New 3DS is more durable. Is it common for circle pads to break while playing Smash? If so, I have a New 3DS, so will that alleviate the problem? Thanks in advance for the answers.
Well, it's still a bit hard to tell. But does seems that New 3DS circle pads are more durable compare to old 3DS models.
My circle pad so far functions pretty fine. Only a bit small bulge on the center of the circle pad, but I saw it happens on both of my brother's New 3DS as well.
Breaking circle pad while playing Smash depends on your force, and also never put your New 3DS in places with high temperature.

Well, it's still a bit hard to tell. But does seems that New 3DS circle pads are more durable compare to old 3DS models.
My circle pad so far functions pretty fine. Only a bit small bulge on the center of the circle pad, but I saw it happens on both of my brother's New 3DS as well.
huh, that's strange.
the bulge thing happened to my 3DS circle pad too

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
huh, that's strange.
the bulge thing happened to my 3DS circle pad too
Here's my guess. And what I have noticed
New 3DS circle pad is actually slightly smaller than 3DS XL's circle pad, and it might have a better material that prevents the inner plastic from becoming fragile (Which what happened to my 3DS XL's), but if we play games like Smash, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, and Monter Hunter that forces to press circle pad hard, that's what happens.

See right there? 3DS XL's inner plastic base is broken into pieces, my 3DS XL's circle was broken exactly like this.
Here'a a tip to notice if your circle pad is dying or not (Only for New 3DS,New 3DS XL, and 3DS XL): tilt the circle pad so you can see to inner side, slightly press the circle pad down, if you can press it in. That's means your circle pad might not last long. I remember I notice that my circle pad suddenly jerks when to tilt into a direction, then I notice it's because one piece of that black thing feel to the inner side of the circle pad base.

3DS circle pad on the other hand, will come off even if you aren't playing games with the excessive need of circle pad. However, the 3DS circle pad inner core is a large plastic base. Which you can still roughly use it, but it's very uncomfortable.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Here's my guess. And what I have noticed
New 3DS circle pad is actually slightly smaller than 3DS XL's circle pad, and it might have a better material that prevents the inner plastic from becoming fragile (Which what happened to my 3DS XL's), but if we play games like Smash, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, and Monter Hunter that forces to press circle pad hard, that's what happens.

See right there? 3DS XL's inner plastic base is broken into pieces, my 3DS XL's circle was broken exactly like this.
Here'a a tip to notice if your circle pad is dying or not (Only for New 3DS,New 3DS XL, and 3DS XL): tilt the circle pad so you can see to inner side, slightly press the circle pad down, if you can press it in. That's means your circle pad might not last long. I remember I notice that my circle pad suddenly jerks when to tilt into a direction, then I notice it's because one piece of that black thing feel to the inner side of the circle pad base.

3DS circle pad on the other hand, will come off even if you aren't playing games with the excessive need of circle pad. However, the 3DS circle pad inner core is a large plastic base. Which you can still roughly use it, but it's very uncomfortable.
Regarding your last pic, I did the same thing as well! My solution was to apply superglue (just enough to cover the underside, don't go crazy!) to the underside of the analogue stick cover. If you carefully put it back onto the analogue stick, it'll work just fine after a few minutes of waiting for the glue to dry!

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Regarding your last pic, I did the same thing as well! My solution was to apply superglue (just enough to cover the underside, don't go crazy!) to the underside of the analogue stick cover. If you carefully put it back onto the analogue stick, it'll work just fine after a few minutes of waiting for the glue to dry!
Um.. what I mean was still using the circle pad even though the outer rubber wore off. But of course you can glue it back, but never try to use too much glue, otherwise you might make it worse.

D

Deleted member

The Circle Pad will only break if you press it very hard. That's why we've seen a lot of people showing photos of their broken 3DS systems. As long as you don't do it, you'll be fine.

Though from what I'm seeing, the Circle Pad on my New 3DS feels a bit more sturdy compared to the original. But don't take my word for it-- I could be wrong.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The Circle Pad will only break if you press it very hard. That's why we've seen a lot of people showing photos of their broken 3DS systems. As long as you don't do it, you'll be fine.

Though from what I'm seeing, the Circle Pad on my New 3DS feels a bit more sturdy compared to the original. But don't take my word for it-- I could be wrong.
My circle pad seems to be just fine. It can get sturdy if you haven't move he circle pad for a while.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve

I just got a new 3DS XL over christmas. The Circle Pad seems to resist more, but i'm not sure whether that's just because my Circle Pad on my old 3DS has gotten looser over so many years of heavy use.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I just got a new 3DS XL over christmas. The Circle Pad seems to resist more, but i'm not sure whether that's just because my Circle Pad on my old 3DS has gotten looser over so many years of heavy use.
Just try not to press it hard. I'm sure it will resist more. Just two months before my New 3DS XL turns a year old. I remember the time when I did the system transfer, it went well, but at first when it seems to transfer everything to the new system, when it was about to transfer my NNID, my 3DS XL fail to send it to the new system because it just can't connect to Wifi right at that moment, I was kind of freaked out, but glad I can do it again by reopen my New 3DS XL and then do the transfer again. Seems that 3DS system won't delete all of the data in the system until the transfer is fully done.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
As far as I've seen, it's the exact same circle pad as the original 3DS.

I definitely don't think the circle pad is right for fighting games, though. People tend to be too rough.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
As far as I've seen, it's the exact same circle pad as the original 3DS.

I definitely don't think the circle pad is right for fighting games, though. People tend to be too rough.
It's not the same as the Original 3DS, it's structure is the same as 3DS XL but slightly smaller and improved.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I haven't looked into it. It looks the same visually.
To prove it's slightly smaller, I have tried to put a rubber circle pad cap for 3DS XL on my New 3DS XL, but it's too lose.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
To prove it's slightly smaller, I have tried to put a rubber circle pad cap for 3DS XL on my New 3DS XL, but it's too lose.
Weird. I've had a New 3DS for awhile now, but before that it had been a long time since I had a 3DS.

Delushi

Smash Rookie
Mine have already snapped off lol. Just don't know my own strength sometimes. :074:

Last edited:
Top Bottom