• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are the Ice Climbers cheap?

Red10

Smash Cadet
Please don't respond to this unless you have seen the videos where the ICs chaingrab and then proceed to destroy characters.

Do you think they are cheap? Their chaingrab seems impossible to get out of. I think there's a good chance that they may be top tier. What do you guys think?

pixcalcis

Smash Cadet
possibly....as one who is wanting to play the IC's i am in love with their chain grab!..but i agree it will be incredibly cheap if it works on every character, is easy to do, and there is nothing you can do about it. Im sure though as the game progresses people will find ways out or something....and others will find things nealry as cheap to do against the IC"s and other characters

Red10

Smash Cadet
possibly....as one who is wanting to play the IC's i am in love with their chain grab!..but i agree it will be incredibly cheap if it works on every character, is easy to do, and there is nothing you can do about it. Im sure though as the game progresses people will find ways out or something....and others will find things nealry as cheap to do against the IC"s and other characters
agreed. they may seem cheap now, but as the future progresses, things could change.

DaHoodedGuy

Smash Rookie
From my experiences: People can still DI out of it and quickly jump to get out of the chaingrab. You are also basicly dead when Nana dies because the sideB has been completely unreliable for recovery now.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
OMG GRAB COMBOZ! IC IS SO CHEAP! IC IS SO BROKEN!

Oh wait, IC was mid-tier in melee and they've been nerfed.

>.> <.<

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Theres no real evidence to suggest they've been nerfed, instead they seem to gain what they lacked in certain areas and vice versa.

Tether recovery belay is incredible.

Squall hammer is tighter and can be used offensively.

Nana will send ice blocks while shes recovering and will use her third jump if neccesary (this is an amazing addition.)

A new chain throw, Dedede has a chain throw, I don't consider him broken.

So I don't consider them broken or nerfed, The IC's are the only characters who have benefited from the improved A.I, this along with other things makes them pretty deadly.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Actually, from what I've seen, Ice Climbers are weaker in this game. Not due to any "ner***e" (though thier Ice Shot does like nothing now and they can't approach with wavedashes) per se, but because more good characters have a large disjointed hitbox than they do. One of Icy's worst melee matchups was Marth, because he totally and completely outranged them, forcing them to take to the air to try to combat him (wavedashing at him was basically 100% ineffective). And Icys are pathetic in midair.

But now, there are far more characters with that kind of range advantage over Icys. Marth, Ike, Dedede, Pit, etc. And dedede's and Pit's projectile spamming tears them apart as well.

Som

Smash Cadet
slow, easily gimped, no defense, Nana gets hit even when you block with Popo, some terrible matchups, Icy's got it bad in some ways. We will be lucky to get to mid-tier again but getting called cheap when you pull off a single throw that kills your opponent priceless.:chuckle:

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
Chain Grabs are, from what I heard, are rather hard to pull off at times. They are nice to use though.

If ya think the IC are cheap, think a bit. When Nana is killed... Everything goes to hell and back.

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
what does chaingrab mean?
It's repeated grabbing that is usually difficult to escape. The Ice Climbers are probably the best chaingrabbers because now you can control which direction Nana throws so you can constantly throw and grab instantly making escaping near impossible.

ptown

Smash Ace
i love the ice climber chain grab.

it's a little like playing chess.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Yes, the Ice Climber's are waaaay cheap, maybe even to the point where they're broken. But so is every other character in the game, so don't worry about it.

Gray

Smash Journeyman
So ICs went from having ridiculous grab combos to having... ridiculous grab comboes. Again. I don't see the difference.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Chaingrabbing isn't a big deal anyway, it does like 5 damage a throw. The thing I prefer to do is grab with popo and wind up a Fsmash with nana and sending them flying.

In other words. every character has something "cheap" about them, so why not give the ice climbers a chance?

Top Bottom