• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginners Guide to Capturing and Recording Melee Footage.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'm making this guide for players who in the future will want to record Melee footage. I see questions about capture cards, video recording devices, and which to buy a lot here, but I'm making this thread to compile EVERYTHING. It should stay separated from the Technical thread so that it won't be overlooked.

Recording video is a pretty simple process. I won't list any actual desktop capture cards, as they are installed inside your desktop computer. You most likely wouldn't be inquiring about how to record if you know how to install one. So, I am listing USB capture devices that can be installed on your laptop/PC. Chances are you will bring your laptop to a tournament over your desktop.

What you need

There are 4 things necessary to record melee footage.
  1. A laptop computer + enough storage(memory) to save the video files
  2. A way to split the video to both the TV and the capture device, without having lag.
  3. A usb capture device (Can be bought online, and in some stores)
  4. Video capture software (Usually is packaged with a usb capture device that you purchase)

1. Chances are that you already have a laptop if you are interested in recording melee, but how good is it? You won't be able to record good videos with a netbook / notebook / whatever you want to call the cheap mini computers. You will need a fully fledged computer to record and not have it lag periodically, drop frames, and de-synchronize the audio. Don't worry, you don't have to have a super expensive computer to record. This fluctuates, but my recommended minimum specs for your computer to have would be 2.1Ghz processor, and 2GB ram. You may be able to use an even less powerful computer, but think of this as a base that you want to at least be at. The better the specs, the more security you have not only in being able to use a particular capture device, but also in not worrying about corrupted, messed up videos and failed captures.

2. You will need to split your video signal between the TV and the capture device. If you're TV has video out, you can simply use normal yellow/white/red composite cables to connect to your capture device. However, most CRT TV's don't have video out, and the ones that do sometimes don't have a RED output. There are several ways to do this if your TV does not have video out. I recommend RCA Piggyback cables. Basically, you plug your cube into one end of the piggyback cable, and the remaining ends of the cable go to the TV and the computer accordingly. This way, you are able to watch the game on the TV and the capture card simultaneously. Some usb capture devices come with their own splitters, or have output jacks on the capture device itself. This makes it a lot easier to record and play at the same time. If you don't get a splitter, chances are you will only be able to hook up your melee only to the computer to record. But then, how will you play on the tv? Get it? If you can't get a hold of RCA Piggyback Cables, you can use 1female 2 male Y-Cables instead. Take note that the signal that the tv receives will be slightly dark. This is because the splitter splits the signal in half. Half of the signal goes to the tv, and half goes to your capture device, resulting in dark picture. In order to avoid this (if you really mind, it doesn't make a difference if you just turn the brightness settings og your capture device up to your linking), you can either use a gamecube that also has s-video output. The s-video goes to your capture device, the normal colors go to the tv, no loss of color. Or, you can use a distribution amplifier.

3. Now here is the main focus of this thread. Selecting a USB capture device to purchase. I have gone through many, many capture devices and tested them for quality and performance. No, I'm not loaded. I just buy one, and then when I get tired of it or want to try a different device, I sell it for almost full price. I have very good marketing strategies on ebay, so people tend to buy my items for the prices I list. So I haven't actually spent too much money on capture devices. However, some of these devices are more worth the dollar than others, which is why you should follow my guide very carefully before choosing a device. Of course, these things are particularly stylized. If quality doesn't matter to you, but you want an easy to use device with good performance, you may choose one over the other. And I'm sure a lot of you want the best quality possible, even if the device doesn't have particularly great functionality and is more expensive. The quality of the videos for some of the products sometimes heavily depend on you tampering with the capture settings. I rate the devices based on maximum quality settings while the videos are de-interlaced at standard 4:3 display.

List of products and info

For the devices that I have tested them, I have set up my own tier list. I have rated them based on video quality and functionality (user friendliness / How good it actually runs). I rate them as follows

Video Quality [Q]

S Tier
A Tier
B Tier
C Tier

Functionality [F]

S Tier
A Tier
B Tier
C Tier

I try to refrain from mentioning C and D Tier products, but some may not mind poor quality or poor functionality if the price of the item is reasonable and they get the videos recorded. I understand that, so I'm going to keep compiling all products that I have the chance to test myself. You guys are welcome to put your input on a particular device as well, and they can be noted here. So, here is a handy list of capture devices, prices, quality tests and what to consider before ordering them.

Pinnacle Systems Products

Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder Plus [Tested] [Q] [F] $49.99

Official Web Page

Synopsis: This is the capture device that most smashers use. The quality is really good, and it is super easy to use. It is known to leave videos messed up with audio lag, dropped frames, slow downs, etc if you have too many programs running during the capture. If you are offered this as a gift, gladly accept and you'll be able to record good quality smash videos no problem.

Pinnacle Dazzle HD [Tested] [Q] [F] $89.99

Official Web Page

Synopsis: Same device as the DVD Recorded Plus (See above), but with much better quality. Use is the same.

Pinnacle Dazzle Video Capture for Mac [Untested] [Q] [F] $89.99

Official Web Page

Synopsis: Same device as Dazzle Plus (See above), but compatible with mac.

Pinnacle Video Transfer [Tested] [Q] [F] $99.99 [Recommended]

Official Web Page

Synopsis: I HIGHLY recommended this. This device doesn't require a laptop. It is the easiest and most consistent product you can get. Yes, it is slightly more expensive, but for good reason. You split the signal to the tv, and to the device and connect a memory stick to the device. You just press the record button and it records video straight to the memory stick (flash drive, hard drive, whatever you want) without a computer. You can get up to 5.5 hours of footage on a 4gb memory stick using the better quality option. The perfect solution.

Pinnacle Studio MovieBox HD [Q] [F] $99.99

Official Web Page

Synopsis: A capture device that is easy to use, and has some above average quality. I don;t really recommend this over the other devices considering the price and quality. It's still here if you need it. It is a really good device. I would recommend if I hadn't been exposed to many other options.

Pinnacle Studio MovieBox UC [Q] [F] $149.99

Official Web Page

Synopsis: The near thing about this device is that it has it's on output. This means that you can split the video to your TV without having to find a splitter. You just need standard composite cables to go to your tv. It is way too overpriced though. Not worth it over the other options that we have. Once again, this is a GREAT device to have if you get as a gift or can get it for a low price/free.

Hauppauge Products

Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 [Tested] [Q] [F] $199.00

Official Web Page
Quality Test

Synopsis:The best melee quality you can get when used at max settings. I wouldn't recommended buying one though. There are a couple of seconds lag when previewing the capture in the software included, you can't capture with any other software, editing the file type is difficult and takes a long time, and it's also really expensive. If you HAVE to have quality on par with this though, try the USB-Live 2!

Hauppauge USB-Live 2 [Tested] [Q] [F] $50.00

Official Web Page
Quality Test

Synopsis: Excellent Quality, almost on par with the HD PVR. Easy to set up and use. There is quite a bit of lag when previewing the capture in the software that comes with it. If you use Ulead or Pinnacle studio, that doesn't happen. Also inexpensive considering how good the quality is. However, there are a lot of driver issues with this device, so you may be hard pressed to make it work with other video capture software than the default that it comes from. I can't say that I recommend this anymore.

Misc / Low Price Capture Devices

EazyCap/EZCap [Tested] [Q] [F] $15.00

Web Page

Synopsis: Quality is below average. It is easy to set up and use, however it has a lot of issues with drivers on Windows Vista/7. It's a really good buy if you don't mind average quality and have Windows XP. Don't bother with the hassle if you don't have XP. If you play around with the settings, you can end up getting some great picture. I suggest forking out an extra 30 bucks to get a more quality product.

Diamond One Touch Capture VC500 [Tested] [Q] [F] $49.99

Official Web Page
Quality Test

Synopsis. Excellent Quality, you have to play with the settings before it starts to record right tough. I will lost those here. No lag when previewing capture. Really good buy if you see it in a store near you.

Capture devices that I am going to test in the future.

Black Magic Intensity Pro $199.99
Roxio Easy VHS to DVD Converter $52.00
honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe $64.98
EazyGrabber2 $24.00

I know that the price of a lot of these are kind of steep, but I will test and add more affordable low price capture devices for you guys as I go along.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Haha. I actually sent him a pm about that just now XD. Hopefully he sees the thread and gives his input.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I know about it is that it is NOT a Dazzle. Check his signature on here for proof.

I've seen his equipment a few times, but I haven't paid much attention to it. If it's one of the things on this list, it's the Hauppauge USB-Live 2, based on the looks.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
ajp has an integrated capture card, because "usb 2.0 is too slow for avi capture" he records in virtualdub, and does all that de-interlasing jazz in there as well.

Personally, I use a dazzle dvc 180 with splitters, I record in either adobe flash media encoder, or pinnacle studio 12 using a divx codec @ 2000kbps (not the best but eh) The thing that bugs me alot sometimes, is that my video will jump around even when I use low settings, not sure if its the laptop multi-tasking issues or what, because I close everything else before I record, maybe it needs more air. my laptop is very finnicky about ventilaton.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Was requested to post here. Unfortunately I can't help much, as my equipment and software is so very different from what this thread is about.

I have a "desktop" computer with two PCIe cards. One of them is very low quality and sensitive to interference. The other is pretty good, but still not perfect. What makes them both "good" is that they support uncompressed video.
Basically, PCI/PCIe is plenty fast enough for uncompressed, USB is just barely so can drop frames.
So with USB you want one with a HW encoder that doesn't suck. I've never used one so can't recommend anything.
Some laptops have an ExpressCard slot, the laptop version of PCIe. There are a few cards made for it, for example the Leadtek ExDTV2300h is the laptop version of my better card. Calle W uses it for his videos.

The Youtube previews in the OP are differently edited, so you shouldn't really compare them to each other. For example I saw one that wasn't deinterlaced.

I'm pretty sure you can get "ajp-quality" with any device that doesn't have a bad HW encoder. The capture device itself plays a very small part in producing good quality videos.
But I like to make fun of all the "crappy USB capture cards" =). (see my sig)

edit:
What kind of equipment does AJP use that gives him S tier in both categories?
In user friendliness, my setup is F tier.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm thinking about getting the Hauppauge USB-Live 2. What y-splitter/RCA piggyback cables would you recommend? I looked for some on ebay, but they all only have the Red and White plugs, which (I believe) would only let me record audio.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Those will work just fine. Video transmit the same through those. I actually use the white one for video, and another white and red one for audio. The actual cable is no different than if it were yellow. It is pretty hard to find one that has the yellow/white/red. But what I did is got two white ones and a red one, and marked the second white one with yellow die.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I have 2.0 ghz on mine lol.

HP G72 Notebook PC

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Can someone enlighten me on what the deal is with new/recently produced memory sticks and external HDDs being incompatible with the Pinnacle Video Transfer? It is a great device, and I've had one for awhile, but I'm down to one or two memory sticks that actually work with it. I just use a Dazzle for everything now, and I miss the days where I could just plug in the PVT...

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I have EasyCap and it works fine ... but I haven't tried out any of the more expensive capture cards.

Overall though, I think the big issue is knowing what settings to use to record. There are so many options for codecs and formats and other stuff, and I don't know which ones to use. That's what I'd like a tutorial on.

Rykard

Smash Ace
i use easy cap. It is also mac compatible if you download the Easy Cap Viewer for free online so that might be something to mention as well. The only problems i've had with it are that it only lets me record in like 7 minute intervals before it stops working because the files get to large or something (you can record forever as long as you stop in between matches and save what you just got though) and it also sometimes takes a couple minutes for it to realize that it is actually plugged into my computer lol. It might just be because i'm not using it with the actual software that it comes with but rather the viewer for macs but it still gets good quality

Dan -Zodiac-

Smash Apprentice
There is nothing wrong with a video distribution amplifier right? Back when I had a dazzle, I had problems and a few people said it was the VDA and that I should get splitters instead. Never got the splitters just upgraded to a Hauppauge lol.

ArsArcanum

Smash Rookie
I have one of them new fancy $35 EZcaps. It takes pretty good quality videos but does drop frames occasionally (although no more often than my friend's Dazzle does).
Also, despite what people say about EZcaps, the included software DID work with Vista, no tweaking or extra downloads needed.
As for splitters, you can pick them up for a few dollars at Radioshack.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
That pinacle video transfer looks really interesting. Two questions:
1. Does it only record to mpeg4?
2. How large do the files get (say an average match off about 4 min)

thanks in advance ^^

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmmm, Ryuker do you play PSO? That is what your name reminds me of. : 3

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Oh? Y-splitters don't lag?

Dang, guess I bought the Distribution Amplifier for nothing.

LLDL

Smash Hero
It's not all for nothing. When using RCA piggyback cables, or y-cables, the signal is split in half. One signal goes to your capture device, the other to the tv. While it doesn't lag at al, the picture is always dark. The distribution amplifier will make sure that both the tv and capture device the full picture. TBH, that's what it's for. Using a distribution amplifier doesn't speed up the signal receive and sent out. Depending on your cables and how good the distribution amp is, it may actually CAUSE lag. The less interference that there is between a signal and the destination, the less lag. Keep that in mind

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
this is a great guide : ). but i'm having trouble finding av splitters. all i could find at three stores was the switch with 3 inputs and one output. i haven't tried radioshack that is next on the list. Btw is there a good deal on amazon or something anyone knows about in comparison to price at the store?

this will do the job right?
http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PLRC2F-Female-Single-Connector/dp/B0013VH3RS/ref=lh_ni_t_

LLDL

Smash Hero
You'll want the opposite. You want one input, two outputs.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Is anyone able to answer my question from earlier? I don't see any replies.

Can someone enlighten me on what the deal is with new/recently produced memory sticks and external HDDs being incompatible with the Pinnacle Video Transfer? It is a great device, and I've had one for awhile, but I'm down to one or two memory sticks that actually work with it. I just use a Dazzle for everything now, and I miss the days where I could just plug in the PVT...

LLDL

Smash Hero
All my memory sticks work with my PVT personally. Did you format all of those devices as FAT32? It won't work with NTFS, and some flash drives are pre-formatted NTFS out of box.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I recently got my Diamond VC500 One-Touch Capture Card and everything seems to work fine except that the recording on my computer does quick black flashes all the time. This doesn't happen when I first start my Gamecube and the blue cube spins around in the beginning but only when I am at the menu-screens and in-game.

Another thing is that it records the whole tv-screen and also 1/5 extra so I can see the top of the TV twice.
I don't know why this happens really :p
Any help would be awesome =)

What I've got:
3 splitters
Gamecube
YW/WHT/RED (males) --> YW/WHT/RED(males) cable
the capture device
the software + drivers that comes with it.
Windows Vista x32 OS
PAL

I'm 99% sure that I've plugged in everything correctly as I've watched a few videos and it actually works apart from the 2 problems listed above.

Thanks.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
You do realize we live in the same city? =)
Just come to DL any wednesday/friday/whenever we play (and I'm there), and ask, assuming you use a laptop.

Sounds like a 60Hz problem though.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i'm sad. i got the usb live 2 and the devices are messed up. it doesn't show under "computer" where usb stuff should show up so i cant open it with pinnacle studio. on my friend's computer is shows up as a keyboard and is also a keyboard on one of the devices on my computer. i reinstalled the thing several times and now i'm out of ideas. any advice would be appreciated : /

Win tv does work but its pretty bad

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I don't use a laptop haha :p. I just want to use it at home.
I did some research and yes it is a 60hz problem. The device can either capture videos in 60hz NTSC or 50HZ Pal. And really, who would wanna play melee in 50hz? :p
I don't know if there is a solution for this though, I'll buy another one if not.
Maybe you or someone else knows a good Capture Card that can record in 60Hz Pal?

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
I used to capture 60Hz with a card that could only do 50Hz PAL. Don't remember the details, I'd have to be there trying things.
Also you can still record black&white using "NTSC".

For PAL60 capable cards, ask other European recorders. My cards are old and hard to find.

Veetaak

Smash Lord

Mad J

Smash Cadet
Iv been lookin around for pinnacle video transfer (PVT) and apparently because its discontinued so the price is now 229.99, I couldnt find anywhere for 99. Also readin review and apperently alot of people have had troubles with this product.
Also i have a gamebridge capture card. Its pretty good quality. Does mpeg-1 and mpeg-2.
Question though, what does the "Hz" refer too?

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Iv been lookin around for pinnacle video transfer (PVT) and apparently because its discontinued so the price is now 229.99, I couldnt find anywhere for 99. Also readin review and apperently alot of people have had troubles with this product.
Also i have a gamebridge capture card. Its pretty good quality. Does mpeg-1 and mpeg-2.
Question though, what does the "Hz" refer too?
Hz stands for Hertz which basicly is frequency. =)

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Hz = hertz, number of times something happens per second.
In this case it's the refresh rate of the video signal and the TV, or the frame rate (or "field rate" or whatever in interlaced video).

NTSC video is 60Hz. PAL is 50Hz, but there is another version called "PAL60" which is just PAL but 60Hz.

edit: Meh too slow, was multitasking so pressed "post" late...

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
After going through like 6 different kinds of capture software for the usb live-2 i think i got it to finally work the way i need. The WinTv software it comes with is pretty annoying but it does work. The .ts file extension it out puts can just be renamed to other things like .mpg. i don't think you can record audio from a mic on top of game play cause it really isn't meant for capturing to the caliber we need it for. I used some free software and none of it was good quality/ it didn't pick up the device. I believe I also tried a version of Ulead but it didn't work either. when using pinnacle studio 15 ultimate it wouldn't pick up the capture card so i tried pinnacle studio 12 plus and that one does register the device : ). i think i'll try studio 12 ultimate next since i have it too. So yah problem fixed.
Consensus: use pinnacle studio 12/plus/ultimate
if anyone wants it and can’t find it with Google for whatever reason i could point you places but that's about it. (not sure about the forum rules)

edit: never mind found even more problems

thanks again for all the research Chain-Ace

LLDL

Smash Hero
None of the Pinnacle Systems work properly with the USB-Live 2 I'm afraid. Pinnacle 12 will pick up the capture card, and you can record video with it, but it has lag and sound issues. Give it a try and tell me how it went for you.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
yah ur right its actually pretty bad but its the best i've found so far. the stupid drivers onthis thing. i don't get lag and i can get it to pick up the audio only if i have a mic plugged in, go figure. i haven't gotten down how to get both game audio and mic audio at the same time. what software and version do you use? this is giving me a headache.

after doing all this i would defiantly Not recommend getting this. i thought the issue was just the default software but it seems to hate all software because of the drivers i believe.

edit: i got it to work right only on the default software. it has really good quality but just beware of compatibility issues. its really not that bad of a buy but pinnacle is just reliable

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah I used the default WinTV software at first, but I have tried again and again to make it work with other software and I've failed. I can only have game video + mic audio with it. I'm taking the recommendation out of the OP. Two new capture devices that I have ordered and am going to try that I think will be really nice are EZGrabber2 and WinTV HVR.

Top Bottom