• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best edge guards for doc?

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
When I edge guard with doc, I usually use pills, back air, forward air, up b, down b out of a jump, or down air. very rarely I use the cape or ledge trump. But I'm wondering what options are the best ones for edge guarding, because they all seem to work to me.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Well, honestly, the best option generally is to mix it up when edgeguarding from what I know. You don't want to get too complacent with a single option, though I will say that B-air is a fairly good kill-move at higher %s, yet (From personal experience.) I find that Doc-nado (Down-B) is the most reliable because of how it lingers.

Other than that, all I can add is that dropping off the ledge and (Up-B) SJPing back is an incredibly good option for low recoverers, but rarely anything else - as it has a chance to give you a pretty nasty stage spike in the process, as well as potentially giving you the ledge invincibility if things don't neccisarily go to plan.

All in all I think it really just varies on position, so I'd keep at them all. If you can avoid using pills though, I would in most situations, as they're generally much weaker than your other options, both in damage and positioning. Take into account that as a ranged move though, this will be your only completely safe edgeguarding option, so it might be worth the use if you need to rack up some damage safely for a pullback, or space the opponent a little to give you breathing space.

Hope that helps - I don't play Doc all too often, but he's definately in my top 5, so I gave my best advice. ^^;

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Looking for edgeguards for Dr. Mario? I've got you covered.

Dr. Tornado: Probably his best option. This can cover airdodges, has good priority, can stage spike potentially, and can kill if really near the edge. While it doesn't semi-spike and isn't dealing high damage, it's a great move to cover the edge with.

Bair: Standard stuff. If they airdodge you can try to beat it out with Uair.

Dair: This is better suited for gimping, as I've found it can be easier to gimp with than with Dr. Tornado, due to the weaker vertical knockback. It can also stage spike if used in the opposite direction.

Nair: Can sometimes be used as a meaty offstage to force an opponent to airdodge or react to it.

UpB: In order to edgeguard with UpB, you'll need to reverse it during the startup so that you turn the other way. It's a nice surprise option since not a lot of people expect it, but chances are someone will airdodge if you approach them falling so be careful with this. As a side note this can stage spike potentially as well.

Fair: Use for reads as it's slow.

Super Sheet: Use against characters with linear recoveries like DK or Fox.

Essentially, you want to use the Tornado and bair for edgeguarding with dair as a mixup option, while the rest are rather situational. Tornado is really good because you can cover the edge with it, blocking certain recoveries like Zelda and Palutena's teleports.

EDIT: Chucking Pills offstage is a viable option if you want to tack on damage to a recovering opponent. Since it's angle is less sharp than Mario's Fireballs, it's easier to hit opponents that are not directly beneath you, unlike Mario.

Ledge trumping with Cape is really good if your opponent is hanging on the ledge for too long. Then you can use FSmash angled down or Tornado to hit them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom