• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to punish a player that sot dodges a lot

Pistallion

Smash Cadet
My friend I play a lot likes to spot dodge a lot, and i know its exploitable, but i cant seem to capitalize on it. He plays 3 main characters, and all have very fast spot dodges: fox, shiek, and marth. I have less problem when facing marth, but the other 2 are very hard. The problem i see is that it is hard to capitalize on his spot dodges, even when predicting them because fox and sheik's spot dodge is so fast, if I miss-time i get punished. Also because I play marth, it is also hard to capitalize on it because marth's moves are mostly out fast, but the hit box isnt out long besides his nair.

Whats some good advice for a marth player?

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
If they are spot dodging I would wavedash back and d-tilt twice, or wavedash back and charge an F-smash for a brief moment then let it go. Or if you are mister fancy pants you can pivot wavedash in with D-smash getting the delay of the second hit to sync up with your opponent coming out of spot dodge.

Just don't grab. I don't see why SHFFL Nair is a bad option though

Last edited:

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
A thing people do in Brawl to catch spotdodges and kind of get into someone's head is to run past them and pivot grab. It's not a for sure way to punish it, but if he spotdodges because he think you're going to straight up run and grab him then the timing usually works lol.

EDIT:Not sure how well this option works in P:M, but i've gotten it a decent amount of times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom