• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Stick: Tilts or Smash Attacks?

MadSlays

Smash Rookie
NNID
MadSlayz
3DS FC
1349-8227-6136
Before you say anything, I am well aware that this is a matter purely of personal preference but I would just like to know whether or not changing the C-Stick to tilts for Rosalina is optimal

I would think it would be pretty nice to use considering we don't really see a lot of high level players using FSmash that often, and the fact that her tilts seem to 'outclass' her smash attacks in a few ways.

So what do you guys think, C-Stick for Tilts, or C-Stick for Smash Attacks? which is better for Rosalina and Why?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I Haven't play Wii U for a long time, but I remember I had tried to change C-stick to tilts, but when I actually try to use it. I often find myself tilt on the wrong direction, so I switch back to Smash, but I still have to avoid of spamming Smash attacks as well.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's easier for me to use the c-stick for tilts. That way I won't have to keep spamming smash attacks when I use it.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
For some of the characters I play, like Fox and Marth, tilts on the C-stick is optimal due to their good Perfect Pivot tilts and need for either auto-cancelled aerials (like Fox, and other characters like Pikachu, ZSS, Villager, etc.) and/or optimal aerial control. (My Perfect Pivots need more work though lol)

On the other hand, it's not as big of an issue for Rosalina, since she has no specific auto-cancels like the previously mentioned characters (except lunar landings, which is a landing and not the start of an aerial) and her aerial control is strong without frame-perfect rising aerials. However, in order to optimize her aerials, and aerials in general, it's necessary to use Tilt stick because it allows for complete aerial control.

With that in mind, it's not a necessity. All (frame-perfect, mind you) rising aerials but Uair is plausible with the use of Smash stick. Smash stick allows for much easier Pivot Smashes and just the accessibility of them makes Smashes more practical, like Up Smashes when reacting to an aerial approach. As evidence, if you watch this video (TBH5 Smash 4 - PG | ESAM (Pikachu) vs iQHQ | Dabuz (Rosalina) - Winners Bracket), @0:38 you can see Dabuz's control setup. He uses default with L to grab, Z to Jump, Tap Jump off, and C-stick to Smash. It's clear he is the one making the controls, even though that is not his usual tag.

TL;DR It's a matter of personal preference, and the best Rosalina player in the world uses Smash stick.

Edit: Not anymore lol

Last edited:

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Wrong, I use tilt stick now, specifically I started using it right after big house 5, there's no coincidence that some of my results have been much better since then.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I tend to have the Right Control Stick on my Pro Controller set for smash attacks. This pretty much applies to every character that I've used, but there are some fighters where my smash attack usage is quite low.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Wrong, I use tilt stick now, specifically I started using it right after big house 5, there's no coincidence that some of my results have been much better since then.
I stand corrected then. Whatever your reasons are for using Tilt stick, they must be good. Do you mind sharing? Or is it common knowledge?

Top Bottom