• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can I get some help from some of the great players here?

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone,

The Tl;dr of this is that I've stopped improving. If I could get some help and coaching from some of the good ZSS players here I would be really grateful.

Slightly longer version: I started play smash with the Wii U release. I play constantly, usually for a few hours a day. I have over 5,000 matches on FG and several hundred more on anthers. I've improved a ton since I first started, but I've stopped improving for several months now. I do all the things recommended to improve. I watch my replays and top players, pausing the film to analyze what I did wrong or why the player chose the option they did. I practice in training mode, working out combos and practicing basic precision. I read a lot on this forum and the subreddit. I play with people better than me as much as I can. I know the combos, the kill setups, and what the moves are generally used for. I feel like all of this has helped me improve as a player. I'm using combos and kill options now that I wasn't a month ago.

The problem is, I'm not winning any more than I used to. I've been stuck at the same rank on anther's ladder for months. I mostly derp around on FG, but when I try I still only win about half of my matches. I know I'm not going to get great overnight, but I've been pushing as hard as I'm able for a while with no tangible results. I'm determined to get better, but what I'm doing just isn't yielding any results. I'm not sure what else to do at this point so here I am asking if someone can give me a little bit of coaching.

Anyone up for taking on a pupil?

Last edited:

Honor

Smash Apprentice
One thing I do is message players who I know are way better than me with film or just asking for advice. Playing in tournaments constantly is one of the only tried and true methods to improve consistently.

I'm just OK at Smash so I get frustrated from time to time with my performance too. I feel your pain :)

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
Well, the YouTube Replays Upload part of the upcoming patch should hopefully help you a bit. I guess you might as well link a few of those videos once you can make them, that way people can give very specific advice.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
In all honesty the best way for you to improve is to get absolutely murdered by top lv players because when you face others after that you will more than likely think to yourself how they aren't that dangerous (not that they are not skilled but that you've experienced a higher level of threat from that character from [x] player).

For example I have known ally for like 2-3ish years because he comes to toronto tourneys sometimes with his brother, I had never played him even in brawl because I always thought "I'm just mid level he probably would want to play the top pr members " even though I was ranked myself (sometimes xD)

Until that Niagara tourney in like may where nairo won. I faced ally in pools and everyone in our pool got 2 stocked by him 2-0 I took 3/6 stocks and won a game. During the set he was doing things to me with mario that other people have never done to me because of the difference in skill levels between them and him, Now everytime I face a Mario if they don't do certain things I can feel more at ease and just focus on winning because the level of intensity is significantly lower allowing me to play better and more relaxed since I have experienced something far more nerve-racking.

TL-DR Experience vs extremely high level players is more than likely what you are lacking if you are doing everything you said you are probably better then me. You need only press on and accept that until you figure out something about your game and hone it to a degree you will continue to win some lose some.

Last edited:

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Lmao, I'm sure there are very few people here that I'm better than. Thanks for the advice though. I'm currently bronze I on anther's and generally just play other Bronze I or Silver players. I never really play anyone higher so you're absolutely right. I'll start looking for higher level matches. I guess I should stop worrying about winning and just try to play as many difficult people as possible.

So... anyone here want to play? Would love to run dittos with some of you all.

Top Bottom