• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone walk me through the z-drop footstool confirm?

PseudoPac

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to practice Megaman's infinite but I can not for the life of me figure this out. Every time I try the z-drop footstool confirm, it forces them to hit the ground instead of keeping them standing with the footstool animation . My inputs are:
(Jump > z-drop> fast fall > jump > z-catch > jump)​
Is this wrong or is my timing just bad?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I believe for the infinite you want them to hit the ground that way you can jab lock them.

So you do this. Face away from your opponent with MB in hand. Sh>zdrop(make sure the MB hits their far side so they are launched towards your front) also make sure you are on the way down to the ground when u zdrop. Then you can short hop to sh footstool. Then fast fall (landing on Mb while shooting a pellet string) that way you pick up the MB on the first landing pellet. Then when they auto stand up out of jab lock repeat.

It is really hard to do. Even in training mode at 1/4 speed.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
one thing i've noticed helps alot is to footstool them right before you zdrop, because it puts you in a pretty good spot for the untechable footstool. once you land the untechable footstool you're going to have to fastfall into the jablock.

easy way to start it - stand next to them and hit your jump button twice in quick succession, and immediately zdrop after, then you're going to footstool again nearly immediately after the metal blade hits them. go from there. that's what I did.

PseudoPac

Smash Rookie
The problem with that is getting a raw footstool can be really unsafe. I'd like to experiment with baiting a rush down character, such as Falcon, to be hit with a retreating z-drop as the footstool confirm and starting the infinite from there. Haven't been able to pull it off in an actual match yet, but I'm not convinced it's impossible.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
The problem with that is getting a raw footstool can be really unsafe. I'd like to experiment with baiting a rush down character, such as Falcon, to be hit with a retreating z-drop as the footstool confirm and starting the infinite from there. Haven't been able to pull it off in an actual match yet, but I'm not convinced it's impossible.
Watch Beatfox. He confirms with a leafshield up, using the method i described. your method is another really solid way of landing it. basically as long as you footstool them while they're in the air and in hitstun you're gravy.

one confirm i've seen is crash bomb at low percents into zdrop into footstool. you can go into the infinite from there.

another crazy one i saw on a japanese player's twitter was dthrow at 0% into foot stool into fast fall single-hit bair to start the jab lock, into b-reverse diag metal blade which caused enough hitstun and knockback to land the first footstool, then he went into the infinite from there. megaman is so insane, i can't wait to see what people will do with him 2 or 3 years down the line.

edit: here's that japanese guy performing it.
https://twitter.com/kameme8808/status/693647725837979652

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Do you have another link, or a retweet that you can see without having a twitter? Im actually 70 years old so I don't have a tweeter or a myspacebook.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Impressive combo! And guranteed! DThrow into a footstool is true until like 30% I think not sure. However if metal blade doesn't disappear this is slightly broken I must say : ) Need to practice the footstool zdrop.

Jalil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JeMaraj
Hi, I've been stalking smashboards for a while but this is my first post so idk if I did anything wrong. Anyways, I found a quicker and easier way to true combo into that footstool combo you're talking about. Getting a footstool out of the blue is hard but the way I found, you can get it out of a punish, or approach with it since relatively safe.
Shorthop--> immediately throw metal blade down--> Footstool, follow their direction(it's always forward if you throw the metal blade to the front of their hurtbox)--> at the apex of your jump fast fall fair so that you hit with the later+weaker part of it cuz it jablocks then do whatever you want when they're forced to get up.
Late hit of fair jablocks til bout 50% and what I described above can be done from a fullhop too but you would have to fast fall after you throw the metal blade down to footstool them close to the ground.

Last edited:

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
That's a good 50/50 kindof thing, but you have to rely on your opponent not teching your fair to land it. never thought of starting it from an un-teched fair though, good looking out.

Jalil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JeMaraj
A footstoool and moves done after one can't be teched (even meteor smashes) as long as you time it right.
I've done this on people several times. The most you can do is try to di the first footstool but if you do it close to the ground at low/mid percents then di doesnt really matter cuz they don't have enough time to move far. Tho just to be sure ill test it with my sister when I get home.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
A footstoool and moves done after one can't be teched (even meteor smashes) as long as you time it right.
I've done this on people several times. The most you can do is try to di the first footstool but if you do it close to the ground at low/mid percents then di doesnt really matter cuz they don't have enough time to move far. Tho just to be sure ill test it with my sister when I get home.
sorry, i thought you were saying metal blade thrown downwards into sourspot fair will put them in a jablock situation. i see what you're saying now, and i like it

gonna try that shiz

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
The confusion likely came from the fact that you didn't include any footstools in your step by step example : P

Top Bottom