• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain grab to buffered uair string (should be frame viable)

LanceStern

Smash Lord
A couple months back I mentioned this to hotgarbage on Snake and he said it should be frame viable to pull it off. I thought I would throw up a few videos to see what you guys think and if anyone else could do frame testing

So I'm wondering is it possible to do this?

Ganon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2hR7PQaYfg
Snake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8sRn-Fgjpw
Dedede: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_1b4CI7L4Y

For clarity it's against lvl 9 CPUs who 80% of the time use the fastest option possible with inhuman reaction to escape combos. Dedede tries to jump away and gets caught... snake tries to air dodge and gets caught.. ganon is just garbage anyways.

Looks like it might be possible on anyone with an aerial that's slower than x amount frames on startup... haven't figured out the "x" yet but could be helpful. I'm going to actively (not recklessly) start pursuing uair strings in different situations on my opponents in matches. If they have a percentage disadvantage and feel helpless, that just makes it easier for me in the long run.

Have fun?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Interesting stuff

Couple of questions though:

- How much 'stun' does D throw put characters in? How much of a frame advantage does Peach have?
- Is this all definitely frame correct and viable? Jump takes 6 frames and Uair takes 8 frames to come out so assuming it starts on Jump's 6th frame that's (14-1) 13 frames...does that mean you could also pivot grab the opponent after the last D Throw?
- Are you sure they can't jump/airdodge/something out?
- Are you sure they can't DI the D Throw to prevent a Uair string?
- Can Snake drop a grenade just before you start the Uair string?

It would be pretty darn cool if this worked - it would make getting chaingrabbed much more dangerous. Would this work even after chaingrab %'s?

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Interesting stuff

Couple of questions though:

- How much 'stun' does D throw put characters in? How much of a frame advantage does Peach have?
No idea

- Is this all definitely frame correct and viable? Jump takes 6 frames and Uair takes 8 frames to come out so assuming it starts on Jump's 6th frame that's (14-1) 13 frames...does that mean you could also pivot grab the opponent after the last D Throw?
Again no idea

- Are you sure they can't jump/airdodge/something out?
Some people can throw out aerials, maybe airdodge. You have to be almost frame perfect to hit the uair string out of the dthrow.

- Are you sure they can't DI the D Throw to prevent a Uair string?
Well the idea is to cut the chain grab a little short so they can't do DI too far away.

- Can Snake drop a grenade just before you start the Uair string?
No idea. If he does, you could cg him one more time to the opposite side and throw out the string.

It would be pretty darn cool if this worked - it would make getting chaingrabbed much more dangerous. Would this work even after chaingrab %'s?
No I don't think so. After CG percentages they can definitelys tart jumping, throwing aerials or 100% airdodge

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I found the topic where hotgarbage responded. Maybe cool: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11516483#post11516483

LanceStern said:
Request #1:- If I use a floating dair -> up throw turnip. Then asafa (as soon as frames allow) do a ground floated uair, is there anything Dedede or Donkey Kong can do about it? *Nair, jump, air dodge*

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JVkpCt5Rxc
Response from garbage:

hotgarbage said:
Request #1:
There are three limitations here:
- Fresh dair's low "sends opponent into non-tumble knockback" range (0%-16% on Dedede)
- The fact that at low %'s normal turnips won't yield a super impressive frame advantage.
- Ground float uair isn't exactly quick, hitting on frame 13 at the earliest.

Because of these things this string is not frame guaranteed. It could still work though, as you're in a good position after the uthrow turnip, it just depends on what your opponent does.

If you're looking for a guaranteed string try dropping the turnip after the dair and performing a falling uair.
LanceStern said:
Request #2:- If I chain grab Snake from 0%, fresh dthrow, up to ~ 24% - 29%, can I instantly ground float uair after the dthrow? Or can snake do anything about it?
Response from hotgarbage:

hotgarbage said:
After taking Snake to 29% you don't have enough of an advantage to make a ground floated uair frame guaranteed. However, unlike the above string the circumstances here are more controlled so we can look into our options a bit more.

- If Snake airdodges a quick ground floated uair out of a turn-around dash will hit him.
- If Snake uses his bair you'll get hit/trade hits.
- If Snake jumps you'll hit him with the uair if you're fast enough.
- If Snake pulls a nade you'll most likely hit him without detonating it and then grab it when you land (lol)

So even though this isn't frame guaranteed it looks pretty good. Considering the damage output of a successful uair string it'd be worth trying.
So sounds doable

Top Bottom