• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chance of getting Melee into Dreamhack winter 2013!

Armada

Smash Lord
After seing tons of people working so hard to get Melee into EVO and now into some great FGC events after EVO I was getting a bit inspired to help the community out too.

Dreamhack, also known as the biggest LAN-party in the world, will be held in the Swedish city "Jönköping".
For those of of you who don't know I can tell that Dreamhack is a SUPER big event. Even if they mostly focus on computer games they do have tournaments in games like SF too.

My plan now is to contact the Dreamhack staff to get us in there. Melee used to be there a few years ago but it was very small. Now with the hype of EVO and people that has fire to make it big (in the past it was more for Sweden but I wanna make it BIG) Im convinced that this is a great chance to support the community in mostly Sweden but also in Europe and the entire world for a bit.

At this years Dreamhack summer they expected more then 20 000 (!) people to be there. Even if most of them have a spot for their computer Im super convinced THIS is the place to make our community even bigger.

Dreamhack winter will be held 28 of November to 1st of December this year.

If you like Melee tons of other games and wanna have the chance traveling to/in Europe this can be your chance.

The reason Im saying "chance" in the thread title is because we haven't got a answer from them yet. I have been writing a mail to them where I include tons of great stuff about melee at EVO etc. I do think we have a great chance of getting in and I will work hard to make it happen and to make a great event of it if we do get the chance.

I know it is expenssive to travel from the USA but if someone would like to come we would be very happy!
In the next few days I will either announce the great news of melee getting in or deleate the thread if we don't.

Hold your thumbs and hope that what could be the biggest tournament in the European melee history is about to happen =D

Armada

Smash Lord
I have been hosting tournaments for quite a few years now =D
Mostly tournament on a regional level but also kinda big tournaments in Europe.

I did beat/outplace him quite a few times at least. But this thread is not about me :p

Tero.

Smash Champion
If this works out it's going to be huge!
I'll make sure to have all of germany there.

Armada

Smash Lord
If this happens, which is at least not unlikely, we need to bring MANY players.

This is once in a lifetime opportunity for us basically. Since we still are on the "EVO hype train" I think we have a pretty good chance. But unless we can show some great results the chance at Dreamhack will die.

So all countries from all over Europe (and maybe a few from the US =D) better bring tons of players if this happens.

Armada

Smash Lord
I don't have any plans on entering Melee.
If it wasn't for Android I would not even be at EVO.

I still wanna see tons of people enter melee tournaments though cause the game is awesome and the community is such a awesome group of people.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I don't have any plans on entering Melee.
If it wasn't for Android I would not even be at EVO.

I still wanna see tons of people enter melee tournaments though cause the game is awesome and the community is such a awesome group of people.
Gotta enter tho because it would be +1 person and quoting you "we need MANY players" :D

Anyway I heard there was a new challenger.
Scörp å dörp the swedish Luigi main got this!

this Scörp guy somehow looks familiar...

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
In the next few days I will either announce the great news of melee getting in or deleate the thread if we don't.

Hold your thumbs and hope that what could be the biggest tournament in the European melee history is about to happen =D
Hold your thumbs
Don't question him, just do it.

pelotaz0

Smash Cadet
We tried to get Brawl into the summer Dreamhack in Valencia, Spain, and couldn't... they said something about lack of sponsorship. I hope this to be different with Melee

Armada

Smash Lord
Well we have already been there 2 or maybe even 3 years before.
But back then it was no one that tried to push it. It was more about trying to get more people in Sweden to join the community. Im not really sure since I wasn't one of the TOs.

I can't say we will get in for sure but since we already was accepted back then and we had nothing compared to now I wanna stay positive and see this from a bright but realistic perspective =)

Armada

Smash Lord
Awesome! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.
Thanks dude!

I will keep you guys updated when I know more about everything.
Im actually kinda hyped.

Can totally see this happen and it would be.... AMAZING =D

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I couldn't be unhappy from Melee becoming bigger and in more places. I will eventually travel the world so if this happens I'll make it a point to be there if I can.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
I hope Melee can enter Dreamland, i mean dreamhack! :) If it is, depending on when it is, if im able to go i`ll definently go and spam the other dutchies to go as well

Holland vs Sweden it needs to happen!

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
It'd be nice if we could get this squared away with Nintendo sooner rather than later so we don't all have a heart attack 3 days before the event.

Armada

Smash Lord
It'd be nice if we could get this squared away with Nintendo sooner rather than later so we don't all have a heart attack 3 days before the event.
Im actually not really sure who to contact if we should end up doing that.
We don't really have "Nintendo of Sweden" like you guys have with "Nintendo of America" so Im not really sure where I should try to get in contact with someone.

And since Nintendo did allow us to be at EVO I guess our chances are at least alright for that part to work out in our favor too

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I'm not 100% sure either but I thought that Nintendo had a collective European branch. That being said here is the Nintendo of Europe's official twitter page: https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope. Not sure about who to contact directly though about this sort of business. It'd likely be Nintendo of Europe's legal department but as far as e-mail addresses, phone numbers or other contact information I'm afraid that I can't help you with that sort of thing.

Best of luck!

Edit: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Contact/Contact-621598.html One of these might be particularly helpful. Especially the Marketing and Public Relations e-mails. Haven't found an actual "legal department" contact information but I'm still looking.

Edit 2: "For any other legal inquiry or concern, please call us at 1-800-255-3700 or e-mail us at noalegal@noa.nintendo.com"

Taken from the bottom of: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

Be sure to verify any of this contact information with other people, I'm just going by what I see and can't really verify that any of the above information is correct.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Wishing you luck, I tried so hard to get Brawl in Dreamhack Valencia but about 130 players weren't enough while other games like Street Fighter only got like 40 entrants at the end :/

After EVO I see it being more likely tho.

One thing I can say for sure. If we manage to get it in and have a good show odds are Melee can become a regular in the series.

Armada

Smash Lord
Tarv: Thanks for the info I will look closer at it!

Marcbri: Im very sorry to hear that =/
130 players is a pretty good ammount so to bad they still did not let you have a tournament there.

I wonder why since we were allowed to have Melee in 2009-2011 or whatever it was. And as I stated in the first post it was VERY small back then.
Well I think we will have the answer by Friday.

Btw, did they mention why it wasn't enough?
I heard lack of sponsors was one thing, something else?

Cause if we maybe can prevent the things that stopped you guys beforehand it would be great for us so thanks in advance for that =)

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
they said there were not enough sponsors interested to make sure the tourney was worth. I think BenQ wanted to sponsor a couple of monitors but that's about it (we had tvs on our own tho)

Mainly it was just that but I think they didn't truly feel that smash bros. could be a eSport. Make sure to let them know how big EVO was, like show them the community is passionate for the game. The best thing to do is have a big list of players that are interested to go. That's what gave us a chance at least.

Armada

Smash Lord
By sponsors do you just mean payouts?
Cause if you had tvs I expect you mean enough tv + setups for being able to run the tournament.

Yeah in the letter we are sending I include the EVO stuff, how many people that did enter/stream numbers etc.
Thanks for taking your time with this =)

Alex Bieniek

Smash Rookie
I feel like it would be huge if the community would be more recognized by nintendo itself. It would be great if they sponsored the game to help it get into events such as Dreamhack... But we can only dream.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
By sponsors do you just mean payouts?
Cause if you had tvs I expect you mean enough tv + setups for being able to run the tournament.

Yeah in the letter we are sending I include the EVO stuff, how many people that did enter/stream numbers etc.
Thanks for taking your time with this =)

It's money mainly. We had a deal that they only would provide the space and the cash prizes and we would take care of the rest (setups, stream, TOing) but they had no sponsors for the cash prize so they just forgot about it.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Im actually not really sure who to contact if we should end up doing that.
We don't really have "Nintendo of Sweden" like you guys have with "Nintendo of America" so Im not really sure where I should try to get in contact with someone.

And since Nintendo did allow us to be at EVO I guess our chances are at least alright for that part to work out in our favor too
Not sure it would be their table, but I believe bergsala is in charge of nintendo related stuff in all of scandinavia.

Armada

Smash Lord
Not sure it would be their table, but I believe bergsala is in charge of nintendo related stuff in all of scandinavia.
Yeah I was thinking of them first but as you say it might not be their table. Which was what I thought so I ended up not posting it.
But as a last resort it might be good talking to them since Aniolas know the boss there (Not sure if he still is but I have also worked there for a few days many years ago).

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
I actually live like 20 min. away from the Nintendo of Europe headquarters (they are in Grossostheim). If they try to pull some fancy tricks with the Dreamhack stream I might post a big "#freeMelee"-sign on their front gate, lol
Don't have any contacts though, so don't expect me to do something usefull.

Top Bottom