• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes we're hoping to have in 3.5 (3.5 hype thread!)

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys, this is a thread where we can discuss what kind of changes we want Ike to have in 3.5. Although the general consensus is that Ike is a relatively balanced and well designed character (yay), there is always room for improvement. What balance changes do you guys want to see?

The first thing I am hoping to see is not a change, but I hope that Ike retains his 2 walljumps. Ike's recovery, although relatively good, isn't actually too difficult to edgeguard if you know how to edgeguard it, and I believe that the 2 walljumps are balanced, especially since they can only be used on certain stages anyways. Also, the 2 walljumps let us go extra deep for our own edgeguards, and those are always satisfying. Unfortunately, I would understand if the PMDT decided to reduce us to 1 walljump.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Oh no, more of these threads popping up everywhere. It's the 3.5-pocalypse.

I don't want changes on Ike. Honestly, I really don't care to see anything happening to Ike. Ike already makes me responsible for my success, and that's basically the jist of what I care about in my character. *shrugs* Not sure what the rest of the Ike players will say about our character, but hey, let em talk.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I want the distance on QD to be slightly smaller. It's kind of easy to cover tech options with currently. it would still work for everything it does now, and I think it would make him less centralized around the move. I think he should have dash attack or his run speed slightly buffed to compensate.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Been lurking these forums since 2.1 and finally made an account, hi all!

My dream ike would have 2.1 fair and grab range, miss the platform pokes and reverse fairs, plus that standing grab range made Ike's QuickDraw grab game (one of my favorite parts of ike) even more beast!

Probably would be overpowered though...

Edit: forgot to mention the 2.1 reverse combo nair. Popped people up just right for bairs... (And that sexy reverse fair)

Last edited:

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Okay, to be honest I'm a little disappointed with people circle-jerking over how great Ike is. I'm not hating on Ike, I love Ike, he's my main. But he's definitely not perfect. I just tried searching for a thread on /r/ssbpm I saw a couple days ago but I can't seem to find it, so I'll just explain what was in it. Basically, people were saying how Roy is such a great and balanced character (Roy's our boy! etc.) and how the PMDT did such a good job with Roy (of course people don't only say that in this thread, people say how Roy is such a well made balanced character all the time, however people don't really say that about Ike). Anyways, so someone jumps into the comment thread and adds, "Ike is a really balanced character too!" (I'm paraphrasing ofc). Immediately the comment gets sent to a score of 0 and someone replies with (paraphrasing again) "not everyone agrees with that". The reply comment gets 20+ score. That was just an anecdote, but we can't say Ike is "perfect" until the character reaches the point where other people say he's balanced as well, like Roy. Now, in terms of viability, I think Ike is completely fine. He's somewhere in the middle of the tier list probably, and has tools to deal with pretty much all characters. However, something is keeping Ike from having the same general consensus that Roy has. And that something is his free grab combos, and the centralizing QD. People get pissed at things like Fthrow to QD attack at low percents being guaranteed, or Fthrow to Fair at medium-high percents being guaranteed. Now let me reiterate, these options are NOT overpowered, it's just they are so free that it makes Ike slightly imbalanced. QD is so fast and Ike can do so much out of it, which is also centralizing. Now, whenever the topic of QD being centralizing is brought up, I always hear, "but DJ Nintendo doesn't use QD very much, and he's a top 3 Ike!". Well, DJ Nintendo is just a single player, and I hope we can agree that his Ike game would actually get better if he utilized QD. DJ Nintendo can get by without QD mostly because he has such incredibly strong fundamentals due to his Melee background. Anyways, making solutions to fix this over centralization is not really my job, and I would have to put some more thought into it to come up with something, but a suggestion that might work is to put a bit of time during the initial burst of QD where the player can't JC it. Maybe about .33 sec? This would restrict Ike's options at the beginning of QD to only QD attack. In return, Ike could be given a buff to another of his movement options, such as a slightly longer wavedash. Anyways, I didn't intend for this post to get so long, but basically I'm fed up with people talking about Ike being such a great, perfectly balanced character. He's not.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to these forums but Ive been playing ike a long time (2.1) and I agree with you Whino about Ike not being balanced. Although I'm not sure if I agree about the QuickDraw nerf, he already has 3 frames of commitment, which doesn't seem like much, but it's enough to make it so you can't grab up close. Couple that with a 9 frame startup and 5 frame jump squat, if ike wants to reset
himself after QuickDraw it takes him almost 30 frames after a Wavedash, more if you jump or otherwise.

As for the guarenteed follow ups, I feel like those are pretty essential to ike. His combo game is pretty unintuitive and susceptible to di, and with his slow moves (and throws other than f throw), as people get more experience vs ike his free combo list drops pretty hard. Just this Saturday I was at a smash monthly and played friendlies with a dk for a few hours who wanted to improve vs ike. At the start I was smacking him all over the place, but eventually it was difficult to string more than a few hits together. He also figured out (and I hate this) that when ike grabs you just di for fthrow - all his other throws are slow enough to be reacted to. I'd agree about the fthrow QD attack follow up being pretty strong, vs dk you can fthrow QD attack regrab 2 times and there isn't anything he can do it about. That's dk though, he's big and a good combo weight for ike.

I love Ike for being a unique combination of spacing and approach/rush down. Most spacing chars can't approach as good as ike, and most rush down chars can't space anything like ike. However I think he's only above average in these two respects, whereas a lot characters will excel solely in one of these/other areas. His spacing is great but he has few active frames and is slow to use consecutive moves, leaving large windows to be punished. Combine that with his tall frame and combo weight and he really gets punished hard. His approach can be fantastic but again, whiffing an approach, even a grab, now puts you right at the opponent with cool down, leaving you susceptible to punish.

I'm not sure how I'd change ike other than revert to a few 2.1 things (reverse pop-up nair, more active fair and longer grab...too strong?) but I can't wait to see how he matches up in 3.5 with a lot of the cast getting changed

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I definitely agree with what you said about his combo game being unintuitive. Also, my suggested change was just a suggestion, and it probably wouldn't have been a good change. Other than that I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I thought that QD attack regrab was only on bad/no DI? Maybe on a fat character like DK it's guaranteed I guess.

Last edited:

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Actually your right, my bad. The regrab after QD attack isn't guaranteed if dk di's down and away.

Whenever I think what I'd like changed to get ike to feel just perfect I never know! I see a lot of people love him the way he is, and I pretty much do too, but I still think he could use a few tweaks. (Keep kicking this dead horse but old nair, fair and grab range :p).

Last edited:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I'm going to have to agree that Ike is perfect as he is. Even after reading your extensive post, I don't think QD is overcentralizing. I will say this though:

They can make some respectable changes to Ike, like giving him a quicker dash or more movement options. But I don't think QD is the problem here. Yes, it's powerful. But it's far from broken. And Ike could afford to move up in the tier list ever so slightly. But he doesn't need a lot of buffs. Maybe one or two small ones, then we would see Ike place in tourneys more often. He places sometimes, but not as much as many others.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Ike's tipper system could use some love. I think a small buff would be getting rid of the reduced trajectory angle on tipped attacks. Landing nicely spaced attacks (especially uair, nair, dtilt and utilt) nets you the least damage and virtually no follow ups. Combine that with long cool down and minimal active frames, playing the spacing game with ike just isn't that rewarding for the risk you take. Always felt like a guy with a weapon that long should be able to space a little better.

And Starfall I agree a little faster run speed would be nice!

MLGF

Smash Lord
I mean, grab followups can be a little too good at times.
But I still hold by QD being fine.

As for Roy being perfect, I agree with Umbreon on the matter.
In that he's not.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Honestly even if you increased Fthrows KB or something Ike could probably still get kill followups with Fthrow -> QD -> Fair/Bair

So there would be an extra step of reading and Ike would just look swaggier

Honestly his throw follow-ups are really fair. They're all susceptible to DI, require reading or option coverage and Ike always has a much harder time comboing his opponent than the other way around.

So pardon me if I disagree with random redditors, even if there were 21 of them.

Last edited:

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
I agree his throw game is very di susceptible! Di down and away for fthrow, and then react to his other slow throws accordingly.

Just curious, but is the uthrow chain grab on spacies guaranteed if they di (not sure which direction it is exactly) but down and away or just away from Ike's front? It seems like they go too far from ike for him to regrab at low percents. There's no time to QD reverse grab, dash grab doesn't go far enough, and not enough time to dash->jump cancelled grab either. A fox I played vs kept doing this di and I couldn't ever regrab, when I asked him about it he just said the chain grab wasn't guaranteed.

MLGF

Smash Lord
It's easier to regrab them with QD, it goes a little faster so you can get them if they Smash DI like crazy.
Generally it's not needed, but style points must be considered.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Just in the lab here, it seems like if fox dis away (using my foot to di the other controller tho so not the most accurate) at 0%, I can't QD grab him, either forward or reverse. He hits the ground before. At about 15% I can reverse grab him tho. Dash grab also won't reach. If I run a little before the dash grab, he hits the ground. If I run and JC grab, it doesn't reach. Seems like he can't be chain grabbed if he dis away at 0%.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
My eyes could be playing tricks but Dair looked somewhat sped up. A Dair speedup (at least in getting the hitbox out; the lasting sourspot is really nice for certain setups) is literally the only thing I could ask for Ike.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
My eyes could be playing tricks but Dair looked somewhat sped up. A Dair speedup (at least in getting the hitbox out; the lasting sourspot is really nice for certain setups) is literally the only thing I could ask for Ike.
You referring to that sexy dtilt->footstool->dair->fsmash combo at 1:35 of the debut trailer?

It does look a tad faster (I want to believe it does anyways)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
You referring to that sexy dtilt->footstool->dair->fsmash combo at 1:35 of the debut trailer?

It does look a tad faster (I want to believe it does anyways)
Yep. It does look like it ever so slightly.

Guess we'll know in two days (which is ****ing ridiculous; based PMDT).

Also, only other Ike buff that needs to be restored: PREPARE YOURSELF when charging FSmash.
(and maybe give Ike a viable taunt cancel? DTaunt animating faster would be hilarious)

Last edited:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I agree with the Fox DI out of Fthrow at low percents. But against fox, you can just chaingrab him with Uthrow anyways. Then apply pressure with Nairs and Fairs.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
That's really not too bad so far for nerfs. I hope he gets a few buffs.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I agree, very small ones plz. Don't want a broke Ike. I'm actually totally fine with this. Ike's second Wall Jump was only there for him to survive really stupid situations where he got hit by a Shiek Fair and can climb Warioware to safety with his jumps.

Top Bottom