• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard match up

PZ Crawfish

Smash Rookie
I keep having lots of trouble with the charizard match up, are there like any approaches I should be taking against him in particular?

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
I haven't played Charizard much myself but I know Zard's ground game is weak. As Roy I try to approach at Low %'s with Dash Dtilts into UAir combos. That's dangerous against Zard as he seems floatie to me. Roy tends to have problems comboing into Float characters. Try to be aggressive and approach with Neutral Air's into Bair uair combos. My advice. Probably not the best!

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
The main things to watch out for in Zard's neutral game are nair and jab. Jab is extremely good at covering every option except non commitment. Try to dashdance and get him to throw out a jab, dodge it, and then slip in with a fair, nair, or even grab. If he's doing nairs facing away from you, wait till the initial hitbox goes by, then full jump in with a fair, but watch out for the lat hitbox, the backswing. That's why you're full jumping. Once you get a confirm, Zard is pretty much combo food. He can recover fairly well, so try to combo him into an actual kill instead of having to edgeguard him. He should be easy to uair juggle, and once he's at very high damage or it seems like he might be able to escape the juggle soon, sweetspot a bair, which should be easy because he's huge. To edgeguard, probably just stick to fair for the most part. As far as recovering, just try to sweetspot. I'm not sure if his nair backswing will hit you out through your blazer, but it's probably his best option. Be careful of him trying to edgehog you. If it seems like that's his preference, start up Bing higher to land on the stage. You're probably still screwed, but it beats definitely being screwed.

I'm no expert but I do play both of these characters and I'd put it at 60:40 Roy's favor.

Top Bottom