• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Circle Pad and Trouble With Forward Tilts

Kung Fu Treachery

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone else had an issue with the circle pad being very sensitive to inputs? I feel like half the time I try to Ftilt, I get either a dash attack or an Fsmash. Ganon's Ftilt is justice, but I can never throw it out correctly in those close range situations where I really need to. Is there some method to this that someone can recommend? Alternatively, recommend me a character with a terrible Ftilt that I will never want to use, so I can be a For Glory scrub without this constant mixup.

I have the old 3DS, if that matters. Not sure if you can map tilts to C-stick on the new one.

1FC0

Smash Lord
R.O.B.'s Ftilt is pretty bad. It's best feature is that you can reverse it but that can be done with literary every Ftilt in the game.

But maybe you should practice Ftilts. You do not have to move the circle pad all the way, just moving it a little towards the direction that you want to tilt in is enough.

Even so R.O.B. is still awesome so even if you do learn to do Ftilts you should totally main him.

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
This might seem out of left field, but you should get used to the differences between initiating a dash or a walk.

If you move the c-pad a little more slowly than a dash, you'll get a walk. You can push forward slowly but fully, and you wont start running.

The same applies to tilts. If you push forward a little bit more slowly, you won't accidentally dash or smash, even if you have to hold forward for a split second.

You can also tilt while walking, which can be useful is CQC.

Walk around for a while, and it will improve your tilts.

Last edited:

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I find it's easier to F-tilt with villager, but that's just me. (On top of that, using an umbrella has a whole lot more range than dropping a bowling ball... :grin:)

Kung Fu Treachery

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've just been practicing it more. Dunno if this is the case for anyone else, but I realized I had often been putting my thumb on the edge of the circle pad rather than the center, which makes it harder to control precisely. If I put my thumb in the indent, careful movements become much easier.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If you move the c-pad a little more slowly than a dash, you'll get a walk. You can push forward slowly but fully, and you wont start running.
Thanks for the tip. As a Meta Knight main, walking is essential and I have been struggling with it for a while.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Palutena's f-tilt is pretty sub-optimal, if that helps?

I'd say it's best to just practice until it becomes muscle memory. I still have difficulty with inputting tilts instead of smashes, even on the Wii U. Practice walk instead of run and discern the best way to tilt in the current context.

Top Bottom