• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

classic level 9 intensity help

cpm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cpm001
3DS FC
0705-4380-2066
Switch FC
sw-0519-8110-5525
any advice on how to clear classic on a level 9 intensity?

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
I've been practicing since Day 1 of Smash 4 3DS. I'm no expert, but I have a few tips. Here's what you need to do:
  • Pick a character you're good with (If you play Peach a lot, but never use Charizard, go with Peach and not Charizard). Common sense here, but still.
  • Get comfortable with 7.0 and then 8.0, and then make your way up to 8.5 and above. This is the closest thing to 9.0 and gets you ready.
  • Get yourself ready before you begin. Your state of mind makes all the difference.
  • When you reach the map, plan out. Try to make out what which stage is which. I personally go after the rival first to prevent him/her to gain up strength later.
  • I personally try to aim for a lower amount of fighters in a match. I'll go into that a bit later.
  • Bonuses don't matter anymore. For instance, if you see a Pikachu with coins in an 8-player match and see 2 ordinary fighters in a 3-player match, don't go after Pikachu.
  • Defeating fighters won't be so easy anymore. You can either play the waiting game and let them fight each other while you go after one, or you can join the fray and fight. I personally don't stand in the middle of the battle, you're a sitting duck (hunt) if you do.
  • In case of an 8-player sausagefest, always make sure you know where you are. I nearly died quite a few times from the overload of movement on the stage. But don't get "Smash tunnel vision", projectiles are a nasty cause of death!
  • In case of an Intruder Alert, things are gonna get rough. You only have a short time to prepare, so always be ready for anything before you pick a stage. Only good side is that an intruder can instantly remove your rival from the board!
  • Never go to Wily Castle. Ever. The Yellow Devil is called the Destroyer of Worlds for a good reason.
  • If a match goes on for long enough, a Smash Ball will appear. If your opponent picks it up, do whatever you can to avoid it. Bowser, Wario, Charizard, Lucario, Marth, Lucina, Captain Falcon, Sonic, and Pac-Man are especially dangerous, keep airborne if Peach gets it, and if you get it, don't waste it!
  • Fighting Mii Team is a major pain, but remember, items and tilts are your friends. Don't stand next to Blast Boxes.
  • Memorize Master Hand/Crazy Hand/Master Core's attack patterns. Seriously, research now before you go in. I mean it, just do it. Now. They will end your run before you can say "50-Fact Extravaganza"!
  • In case of a tragic loss, don't rage and quit. Whatever coins and prizes you would have earned go to waste. Instead, click "No" at continue or let the difficulty drop (the latter is good for boss memorization).

• If you get to Master Fortress, congratulations! If you have two lives, well done! If only one, be cautious. Don't use the Heart Container right away, always get the first "heart" first. If you have a high percentage, use the Container (this rule applies to the whole Fortress). If not, continue to the second "heart", avoiding acid on your way. If still low percentage, continue to the third "heart" using the upper passageway, nothing in the lower section anymore. Then use the Heart and finish with the last "heart". Don't die at the end!
  • The grounded flower charges up and shoots a laser while moving it's "neck". You can knock it over for a short time or kill it. These are very dangerous, as the laser traps you and has a high knockback. It's positioning next to acid is awful for you.
  • The sword wielders have a shield that blocks most attacks. Grabs and throws are it's weakness. Throw it and attack it while it's down!
  • The floating projectile throwers mainly appear in the final room, although a rouge one is found after destroying the first heart and going to the third heart. Avoid their energy sphere and use air attacks to take them out (Little Mac beware!).
  • The bugs are more annoying than a valid threat. Use Down-A to take these guys out.
  • On the way to the final heart, you will find two sword wielders on platforms above acid. Beside the final room, this is the most dangerous threat to you. Hop over the first goon and make your way around the second. You can grab them if you want, they won't jump across to you.
  • In the last room, two flying goons and a flower to your right will be your enemies. Take them out and take a few hits to the heart. They will respawn after a certain amount of damage is done to the heart. Go away from the heart and take them out again. Go back and then destroy the heart, they only respawn once.
  • The odd-numbered hearts are easier than the even-numbers, being on the Fortress exterior.
  • Also, don't waste time defeating the Master Core ball. Just... don't, if you don't know what I'm talking about. I won't spoil anything...
Let me know if you have any issues. I wish you good luck!

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Wario and DK were my initial go-to characters for completing the 9.0 challenges, as I explained in this thread a while back.

As for simply clearing 9.0, I highly recommend turning on customs, unless you are going for the no-customs challenge. Here is my successful setup for clearing 9.0 with the entire cast back on version 1.02 (and additionally the DLC characters when they were available later):

1 Auto-heal equipment (preferably Brawn Badge, but Protection Badge works as well.)
2 of your fighter's strongest generic defense equipment, e.g. Vintage Overalls, Legendary Shields, etc.

The linked thread at the start of this post explains why I chose this particular setup. YMMV.

Top Bottom