• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Guide Competitive Guide to Playing as and Against Yoshi in Smash Ultimate

Dr. Jay

Smash Rookie
Dr. Jay submitted a new resource:

Competitive Guide to Playing as and Against Yoshi in Smash Ultimate - An early guide to a top tier character

Intro:

Melee yoshi is one of the most underrated, unique, and difficult to master characters in smash. This caused a lot of people to ignore him in favor of other characters like the spacies and marth. Same deal with 64 for the most part, where Kirby and Pikachu store the spotlight. In brawl, he was kind of not great but honestly who cares about brawl. (Jk ...or am I?) In smash 4, he was much higher tier than ever before but was again not picked very...
Read more about this resource...

South Cape

Smash Rookie
This is a fantastic video that brought my Yoshi game up to where my friends groan where I pick him now. Thanks a ton. Ditto on the Young Link bomb vid. Really professionally done videos. Please keep em coming!

Dr. Jay

Smash Rookie
This is a fantastic video that brought my Yoshi game up to where my friends groan where I pick him now. Thanks a ton. Ditto on the Young Link bomb vid. Really professionally done videos. Please keep em coming!
Thanks so much, really glad to hear they’ve helped you out! Doing a dual guide on mario and doc later this week (I’m a doc main from melee so it should be fun, already written up but gotta clip gameplay) and one on samus and dsamus next week. I rushed out the ylink one on a whim, but now that I’m getting the hang of youtube and such they should keep getting better; so stay tuned!
PS: I’ll also be starting a discord server for quick general q&a’s and labbing things and such (as I’m a spreadsheet and meta analysis fiend) if you’re interested

Meseta

Smash Rookie
Amazing guide. I haven't had time to get through it all but it's the best guide I've seen yet.

1hipG33K

Smash Cadet
NNID
1hipG33K
3DS FC
2294-5791-6012
Definitely covers a lot of where yoshi stands right now competitively. Great video, well organized, and it was good to see the counter yoshi tips at the end. Thank you. I personally love to be more rush down focused!!

It was a theme in Smash 4, and now again in this, but I disagree. SIDE-B IS NOT USELESS. In place of a spot dodge, it works like a counter. It greatly increases yoshi's ground speed. It has impossible to read animations and physics. Plus, if you get the first hit at low percents, it is pretty easy to get the follow up hit, or even a 3rd. 3 hits can break 30% damage in a couple seconds. This move is a great mixup.

That being said, it easy to punish when used wrong, and Dr. Jay is totally right about practicing the egg throw to avoid the accidental side-b input.

Top Bottom