• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congrats to Sethlon for Finishing 5th at Apex 2014!

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
PM Roy's out for just over a month and the guy burns a path to a top 5 finish. Congrats, and keep inspiring all us Roy mains.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Congratulations to Sethlon finishing 5th out of 400 with a character that gets a lot of trash talk in the Tier List Discussion Thread!
PS: What does Roy do when he gets a setup where Marth would do a Ken Combo? I saw Sethlon did Fair->Jump->Fair and I see that a dair (if it even gets the sweetspot) gets meteor-cancelled and if the opponent has a good recovery Roy may get edgeguarded himself. But whats about a Bair (the reverse one always sweetspots!)?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with how I played overall =)

Despite M2k meteor cancelling, I still got a free fsmash follow up afterwards. I think if I had saw it coming, I might have been able to charge it enough to finish him off.
I'm starting to think that fair -> dj bair might be better than the Ken combo if your opponent has a good vertical recovery. Its been scary trying to work that into my game though, especially since if you don't reverse hit the bair then your opponent is on stage while you're put at the ledge.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Yeah Fair DJ Reverse Bair is actually a bit hard but truly rewarding. Did you also work with the high horizontal knockback part of the dair hitbox for edgeguarding? I like it quite a lot. The spacing is even harder than the Reverse Bair though :D.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
As everyone else essentially said in this thread - congrats Sethlon!
Kudos to you, honestly.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Also, I just checked your "Ashes to Ashes" video, the style I saw is very similar to my own.
Interesting . . . Y'know aside from the more advanced techniques like DDing and WDing.

Signia

Smash Lord
Why not fair -> neutral B? In fact, it seems like that should always be the ender in the air in PM, due to its amazing knockback. It may not be a true combo sometimes, but instead it'll catch jumps or out-space combo-breakers if spaced well.

Last edited:

vanhuynh16

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with how I played overall =)

Despite M2k meteor cancelling, I still got a free fsmash follow up afterwards. I think if I had saw it coming, I might have been able to charge it enough to finish him off.
I'm starting to think that fair -> dj bair might be better than the Ken combo if your opponent has a good vertical recovery. Its been scary trying to work that into my game though, especially since if you don't reverse hit the bair then your opponent is on stage while you're put at the ledge.
Yeah I thought you were going to charge it also. I found the video. Great stuff!

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Why not fair -> neutral B? In fact, it seems like that should always be the ender in the air in PM, due to its amazing knockback. It may not be a true combo sometimes, but instead it'll catch jumps or out-space combo-breakers if spaced well.
Fair -> nB is nice sometimes, but has to be pretty specific situations IMO. As you say, it is rarely a true combo...you can get around this sometimes by going high with the dj Flareblade, but then they can often just stick out a move and hit you before the flareblade would hit them.

It is cool that fair follow ups are so deep. Ken combo setups are interesting, because the spacing for various characters can be really different (such as in M2's case; you have to space much lower than usual and catch his tail, otherwise the sourspot will take priority and you'll just get the flub). At Apex a lot of the time I just did fair -> fair to be safe, but even something like fair -> nair will likely take precedent over that in the long run since its got even more range and does more damage.

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
Fair -> nB is nice sometimes, but has to be pretty specific situations IMO. As you say, it is rarely a true combo...you can get around this sometimes by going high with the dj Flareblade, but then they can often just stick out a move and hit you before the flareblade would hit them.

It is cool that fair follow ups are so deep. Ken combo setups are interesting, because the spacing for various characters can be really different (such as in M2's case; you have to space much lower than usual and catch his tail, otherwise the sourspot will take priority and you'll just get the flub). At Apex a lot of the time I just did fair -> fair to be safe, but even something like fair -> nair will likely take precedent over that in the long run since its got even more range and does more damage.
How good do you consider nair as an approach option? I saw that you threw it out at times and was curious.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
It is absolutely great for just saying "this is my space, you don't get to come in it" during neutral, and if you're already close enough, its a great move to space on shields...but I don't think its as good for approaching, per se. Cross ups with it are nice, and you can do some tricky stuff with short hopping it and then not fast falling so that you get the third hit to come out, but it doesn't combo as well as most other approaches vs grounded opponents, and the first hit is pretty easy to crouch cancel.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
you definitely made a lot of great use out of bair as a finisher. Roy has so many set ups into it, and it definitely gives him a lot of leverage in his combo > kill game when the opponent is too high in percent for a fsmash follow up. i have to say i also love the edge guards using counter. it seems to be a very reliable option if your opponent overshoots the ledge.

however, are you sure that fair > neutral b isnt a true combo? i mean obviously it isnt always, but i seem to be able to connect with it quite a bit, and it definitely feels like its the most reliable follow up from a fair outside of fair > fair (in terms of how reliably the string connects). i feel like the very short range of bair and dair make them harder to actually connect with, and because of neutral b's range, even if the opponent has time to put out an attack or jump, the sheer range of the move will cover those options while keeping you safe. Thats the case in my experience at least

Top Bottom