• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Cloud be the mysterious Square Enix character Vergeban leaked all along?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So Everyone is Here. If Sakurai didn't prioritize the veterans so much, would Cloud have still made it in? Vergeban said there could be a Square Enix rep for DLC. But with what people with early copies of the game found, there is an awful lack of Square Enix content. There are only four Square spirits: Cloud, Cloud (Advent Children), Geno and Mallow. Cloud was found very late in the World of Light. And now rumors are coming up that Cloud was the last veteran to be added to Ultimate. The third-party Mii costumes were cut from Ultimate including Geno and the Chocobo hat. While Geno and Sora are the top two contenders who have been highly speculated as the new DLC characters, I don't think either of them would make it in because Geno is a spirit and I think we have enough Mario characters after Piranha Plant, and Sora is co-owned by the movie company Disney, which makes him seem like a Goku-type choice to me. There are other characters who would seem more likely like Lara Croft, Slime, Crono, Neku, Terra Branford, etc. But with all the circumstances showing, I am really doubting there would be any more Square Enix stuff for DLC. They couldn't even get Steve Burton to dub Cloud in English even though Marth and Roy got new English voices with Yuri Lowenthal and Ray Chase. And all the frequent phone calls to Square trying to get Cloud in could probably be misinterpreted as Nintendo asking Square for a newcomer. Vergeban didn't specify which Square Enix character is coming. His source had heard seven names. While it could possibly be Square giving off red herrings to throw off leakers, I think it might actually be a rumor started by someone misunderstanding the renegotiation of Cloud and those seven leaked characters could be the result of people in Nintendo's office guessing who the "new" Square character is. But maybe it could be Cloud all along. Do you think it might just be Cloud or do you believe there could be a Square DLC character? Vergeban may have been correct on everything besides the new Square and Microsoft representation, but as proven with Gematsu, not every credible leaker can be 100% right. And if Square is so stingy about their property that Cloud barely made it in and there are very little amount of Final Fantasy content compared to other fighters' series, it seems hard to believe that Square would be willing to give Smash Ultimate another fighter.

Top Bottom