• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

could sheik be overrated?

mythbust4000

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I think that sheik is top 8 but should she really be 4th? She sucks vs the rest of the rest of the roster!
She loses vs fox,falco,jigglypuff,ice climbers and is even with marth and peach making her only positive match up falcon. So with a lack of top 8 wins why is she 4th? I think she is like 6 at most. Also i dont know if its because i know sheik the best but i feel she is limited with movement and moveset. Sure the moves she has is REALLY good but most of the time you should only use fair,bair,down tilt, forward tilt, and down throw. and uair is used vs light weights. The only counterargument i can think of is "Shes the lowteir slayer" If you lose to more then 3 or 4 lowteirs you should not be top 8. All topteirs can beat most lowteirs. If you have more feel free to try to readjust my opinion.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I don't think any of those matchups are losing for sheik, besides fox slightly. Sheik beats marth pretty solidly, too.

As far as top level solo mains, Plup and Shroomed have been in the national top8 more consistently than the top solo mains of Marth and Falco, PPU and Westballz.

My top8 list lately looks something like this:
Fox
Sheik
Marth
Puff
Falco/Peach
ICs/Falcon

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Look at Plup....

We can't always attribute character success to the player.

Sheik very well could be 4th, even 5th. But I really think Marth, sheik, Falco, and puff are all extremely close, aka 5th isn't far from 2nd. And fox is only barely better than these.

Ministry

Smash Ace
i think sheik is actually really bad, playing the last year with armada, and other good players. i think she maybe only beats peach, and every other character beats her.

lack of air mobility and very predictable and punishable recovery brings her down alot.

she is also the perfect combo weight for most of the cast. and gets chain grabbed by a few also. i think she might be around 5th or 6th.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Yea playing sheik against Armada can really do that to you.
I am wondering if Plup would say the same if he came and stayed for a while

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Yea playing sheik against Armada can really do that to you.
I am wondering if Plup would say the same if he came and stayed for a while
Plup doesn't really know the Peach matchup though. Sheik wins vs. Peach in NTSC.

taz3141

Smash Rookie
I think that sheik is top 8 but should she really be 4th? She sucks vs the rest of the rest of the roster!
She loses vs fox,falco,jigglypuff,ice climbers and is even with marth and peach making her only positive match up falcon. So with a lack of top 8 wins why is she 4th? I think she is like 6 at most. Also i dont know if its because i know sheik the best but i feel she is limited with movement and moveset. Sure the moves she has is REALLY good but most of the time you should only use fair,bair,down tilt, forward tilt, and down throw. and uair is used vs light weights. The only counterargument i can think of is "Shes the lowteir slayer" If you lose to more then 3 or 4 lowteirs you should not be top 8. All topteirs can beat most lowteirs. If you have more feel free to try to readjust my opinion.
Sheik may lose quite a few matchups within the top eight. However, she does not lose any matchups badly. All of the characters below sheik on the tier list have one of two problems.
1.) They have at least one god awful matchup against another top tier
or
2.)They lose against a majority of the top tiers.
Puff occupies the space below sheik on the tier list because of her abysmal fox matchup. Outside of fox puff has an amazing matchup spread. After puff comes peach who loses the following matchups: Fox, Marth, Sheik and Puff. Fox, Marth and Sheik are only slightly losing matchups put the puff matchup is brutal. Every character after Peach (except arguably Samus) has at least one horrible matchup. Ice Climbers have the Peach matchup, Falcon has the spacies to worry about, Pikachu has awful matchups against Fox, Falco and Marth as well as a nearly unwinnable sheik matchup. Samus has no horrible matchups but also only has one positive matchup in the top ten. After Samus, Sheik BODIES every remaining character on the tier list.

TL;DR

Sheik has her spot on the tier list not only because of her own matchup spread but because of the lacking matchup spreads of the characters below her.

Zonda1996

Smash Rookie
I think she's overrated but not by much. NTSC Sheik's grab game is solid and helps make up for her short hop, aerial drift and DD range weakness. Once other top players come to understand the matchup vs. her to the extent Armada has shown we may see a slight drop on the tier list, but any more than 2 spots would be a huge surprise. The most important matchup in my eyes is vs. spacies and tech chasing gives her a strong tool against them.

PAL Sheik suffered a lot with the down throw change and despite the strength and range of her normals, I'd place her a lot further down the high tier. Her punish game vs. top tiers is a lot more uphill. Despite this, I think she's still a very strong doubles character.

Not to mention, it's difficult to comment on her ability to perform at a top level of play speaking from a locals level.

Top Bottom