• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D-air troubles

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I have a very difficult time hitting with the move d-air. The only time I seem to be able to use it is when I am fast falling on my opponent or by repeatedly using it until the opponent happens to run into it and even when I do hit with it they always seem to be hit about two or three times before falling out of the move.

I really need to learn how to hit with the move and the best time to do so if possible.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I use it to pressure shields. It can also be a decent OOS option and I think it can be comboed into after a footstool.

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
I use it to pressure shields. It can also be a decent OOS option and I think it can be comboed into after a footstool.
Only combos on some characters past different %s, but I'm making a list.

I'm bad at dairing too. I usually only get it after utilt or uair.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
What is rar?
Reverse aireal Rush. Ace star the 3rd has a good video on it. it's kind of like a perfect pivot Bair, but not really. I'll give you a link when I get the time

EDIT: Ignore the Bair part, I forgot this thread was about dair :p

Last edited:

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
With puff it's easier then most because of multiple jumps try buffering it
But on the other hand, puff's slow falling speed makes footstooling harder.

Last edited:

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
I would argue it's often easier to footstool with most other characters since once you get rid of your double jump you can literally just mash until you get it. I've tried going for footstool gimps since it's really useful but with Puff's fall speed and extra jumps it's kinda hard.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what you mean by buffering here. Footstool is frame 1, and unless you do an action first (like airdodge) and try to time it so that you're nearly on top of the opponent when it ends and then buffer your jump input, you aren't going to get any sort of buffered footstool. I'm not sure how any buffering would make footstooling any more successful either.

Last edited:

Smeefy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smeefed
I'm not sure what you mean by buffering here. Footstool is frame 1, and unless you do an action first (like airdodge) and try to time it so that you're nearly on top of the opponent when it ends and then buffer your jump input, you aren't going to get any sort of buffered footstool. I'm not sure how any buffering would make footstooling any more successful either.
By buffering I mean rapidly pressingredients your jump button while enjoying near the opponent the closeright you are to them the better chance you'll get the footstool

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
By buffering I mean rapidly pressingredients your jump button while enjoying near the opponent the closeright you are to them the better chance you'll get the footstool
Please proofread your posts Smeefy

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I think Smeefy was trying to say: By buffering I meant rapidly pressing your jump button while near the opponent since you have a better chance of getting a footstool.

Managomous

Smash Cadet
NNID
RanmaTheAncient
The two situations where I find it the most useful:

1. When you and your opponent are close to one another, if your opponent attempts to roll into you, you can use the back jump, d-air to cover the roll. By him rolling into you, eventually the invisibility will wear off and place them in the d-air. Kind of like Pikachu's down smash.

2. When Yoshi is using his double-jump, this is like a free set of hits by using the d-air. Provided you dodge the eggs.

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
I use it to pressure shields and to cover rolls. I also land it to help other moves unstale due to the fact that it will never KO anyway.

I AKU I

Smash Cadet
NNID
murphed
I like to cover rolls with nairs. Is it really better to use dair vs nair for that? I feel like dair has better combo potential if you can trap your opponent in the vaccuum, but that's probably hard to do when your opponent is rolling away, no? How many hits of dair would you have to use to make the damage output equivalent to nair?

I don't use dair very much when playing puff, it's a move that I probably should try to use more often. I only seem to use dairs for shield pressure (not often), and after a utilt/uair or weak fair at low-mid %s.

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
nair could be used as a kill punish off a whiffed roll and dair could be a combo punish off a roll. dair always sends either in front or behind you depending on the opponents di.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I also punish rolls with nair... IDK feels safer

Managomous

Smash Cadet
NNID
RanmaTheAncient
I cover with Dair sometimes, and Nair sometimes. I use it to throw off my opponent, and sometimes it works. Like doing a backwards dair, and moving to the side so this way I am out of range of a smash attack, and following up with a side-b, that's pretty good stuff right there.

As far as "safer" goes, I find Dair is safe so long as you are backing away a certain distance away from your opponent. Otherwise, you will be punished pretty easily from a throw or smash attack.

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
Dair is also a good out of shield option, just like nair. There is a 1 frame difference between the two moves but dair does 3% more damage and is safer to land a hit with at very low percentages. Great if you want to save the knockback for nair for slightly later percentages.

Top Bottom